PDA

View Full Version : Fake Marino jersey on eBay

danesei@yahoo.com
10-12-2014, 09:12 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201189990744

I've messaged the seller about this, and the responded by including a vague qualifier that they'll accept returns.

The obvious problem with the jersey is that photos of Marino during his tenure at Pitt show him with numbers on the sleeves of the jersey. The seller said that his jersey doesn't have the numbers, but that isn't a problem, since Mark May has photos without jersey numbers on his sleeves from the 70s (before Marino was on the team).

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up, in case they were bidding on it.

Toowon
10-12-2014, 09:28 PM
That's the real deal. Pitt had so many different styles, all the players didn't even have the same uniform. Marino wore a tear away style, mesh, mesh with pockets, fishnet mesh, etc. I don't like the look of this one compared to some of his others, but this is no fake.

danesei@yahoo.com
10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
I found blue jerseys where Marino didn't have the number, as well as a VSA auction that sold a Marino jersey that wasn't game worn in white without the number, but by Rawlings. However, I've yet to find a white jersey that Marino wore without the numbers. If someone can find one, that'd be great if they can post it. I'm hoping I'm wrong, as I was bidding on it until I looked up the pictures.

The lesser concern is the Russell tagging. That style ended in 1983, so it matches the period, but I'm not sure when they started using the catchphrase on tags.

danesei@yahoo.com
10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
That's the real deal. Pitt had so many different styles, all the players didn't even have the same uniform. Marino wore a tear away style, mesh, mesh with pockets, fishnet mesh, etc. I don't like the look of this one compared to some of his others, but this is no fake.

Ahh, thank you for clearing that up, Toowon. I'll let the seller know.

danesei@yahoo.com
10-12-2014, 09:35 PM
On a side note, the seller's other items look good. REALLY GOOD. I wonder if someone with a major collection passed away in the Pittsburgh area.

Phil316
10-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Obviously a jersey like this is best inspected in person. At first glance that Russell tag does not look original. If you look close you can see a line that looks like a tag was removed /altered under the Russell tag.

Anyone else see this?