PDA

View Full Version : Card companies and jerseys...

Samets
10-14-2014, 07:50 AM
I was reading an article on New York Times website (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/opinion/what-i-saw-as-an-nfl-ball-boy.html?hpw&rref=opinion&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHedThumbWell&module=well-region&_r=1) and came across an interesting paragraph: ...One of my jobs was sorting through postgame laundry. Cleaner uniforms would be set aside for football card companies to purchase for their line of “game-used inserts.” Dirty uniforms, meanwhile, like all the girdles filled with blood and feces because some hits are savage enough to overpower the central nervous system, I’d put in a special bin for disposal.

I wonder how much stock some of these card companies have or had... Seems like NFL made the teams sell jerseys as part of the agreement with the card companies...

mbenga28
10-14-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm more intrigued on what was said about fecal matter spilling onto the uniform. Does anyone have any interesting pieces displaying such?

dmb71vw
10-14-2014, 08:54 AM
I couldn't imagine being hit hard enough to crap yourself. I cringe at just thinking about that hard of an impact.

commando
10-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I have a few jerseys where you can clearly see urine stains... These are 1980s jerseys that either have a crotch piece or are long and were tucked into the pants. Apparently you can no longer smell this type of thing after thirty years. Of course, these stains are found in the appropriate spots. :D

wfl1974
10-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Eric Kester, the author of “That Book About Harvard,” is writing a book about his experience as an N.F.L. ball boy.

That is a book I would read...good article...while I've been hit so hard that snot & slobber went flying, I don't think I've ever experienced a hit "savage enough to overpower the central nervous system". That's some impact.