PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Balls For Sale Question

James457
10-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello all,
I had a general question about game used home run baseballs.
For future reference, if I see baseballs for sale that are Home run balls, but not authenticated by mlb (I don't know why they don't). Should I consider buying? Like let's say it's a World Series HR ball that has all the right markings and the fan confirms that it was him and has proof should I buy? Because I hope no one would do this but without a authentication sticker who can tell the difference between a pivotal HR ball and a foul ball? I'd appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

jake33
10-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Here is a good general rule to follow in life when buying an item.

The issues YOU have when you buy an item will be the SAME issues you have when you sell an item.

Hey I have a Homerun World Series ball that was a homerun in the World Series, nice. What is the hologram number, oh no hologram number? So I just take your word for it? That doesn't hold up too well, as one would expect.

That being said, there is also a price that is worth buying it as a risk, such as maybe $35.

But here is my concept, why own ANY questionable item and have it in your collection?

carbonrosa
10-20-2014, 08:35 PM
The only way I would ever buy a homerun ball from someone with no MLB sticker was if that person documented the ball with pictures and video right after he caught it with enough Quality MLB footage of him catching it. Then I would have him write a letter stating how he caught and that now he is selling the ball with photos of him with the ball all neatly written and then notarized. I've seen great examples of this where there's no denying that was the ball that was it for a homerun. The most recent one was a guy caught the the Giants NLCS game-winning homerun ball. He ended up giving the ball back though.

Phil316
10-20-2014, 09:06 PM
When you start seeing older home run balls for sale pre MLB certification it can get very hard to determine.

Modern day ones in my opinion are pricey because you get the hologram and you can look it up and get all the details. Also you are pretty much guaranteed its legit.

ShaimOnYou
10-20-2014, 10:09 PM
Here is a good general rule to follow in life when buying an item.

The issues YOU have when you buy an item will be the SAME issues you have when you sell an item.

Hey I have a Homerun World Series ball that was a homerun in the World Series, nice. What is the hologram number, oh no hologram number? So I just take your word for it? That doesn't hold up too well, as one would expect.

That being said, there is also a price that is worth buying it as a risk, such as maybe $35.

But here is my concept, why own ANY questionable item and have it in your collection?

Jake my man,

You started off so well, and then you totally lost me with the $35.00 comment.

Look, if a guy claims to have an authentic home run baseball, there is a video of the home run proving he got it, and he has his ticket stub and many witnesses, are you going to stop at $35.00 if he wants $1,000 for it any everyone knows it the real deal?

It's all about the provenance, James457. A home run ball most often than not will NEVER see the sticky side of an MLB authentication hologram. And there's a good reason for that. Because the balls fly into the STANDS, and that act itself immediately renders it not eligible of receiving a sticker. MLB has strict rules regarding it's authentication procedures. The balls must be in plain view (with no chance of having a fan do a quick-switch which happens all the time when a "dummy" is thrown back after a fan catches the real deal and everyone is yelling "THROW IT BACK") and be retrieved by someone on the team or affiliated with MLB (grounds crew, bullpen security, a player himself, etc.). Most home runs hit don't land where that's a possibility.

So does that make all of the home run balls that fly into the crowds worth only $35.00 each? C'mon my man. If there is established proof that accompanies the ball, then it's worth whatever the guy who wants to buy it is willing to pay. But I will say, especially with older baseballs, the story should have some solid back-up or it is a bit of a leap. Like location in real estate, it's provenance, provenance, provenance in regards to home run baseballs.

Chris

helf35
10-20-2014, 10:50 PM
It would be hard to spend the kind of money for a HR ball without mlb documentation because resale value would be tough. If you ever needed to sell it for whatever reason it would be harder to move with every exchange of hands I would think.

ShaimOnYou
10-20-2014, 11:16 PM
It would be hard to spend the kind of money for a HR ball without mlb documentation because resale value would be tough. If you ever needed to sell it for whatever reason it would be harder to move with every exchange of hands I would think.

Would resale value be tough if it came with solid provenance? If it starts it's "journey" with proof it's the real deal, assuming the proof travels with it, does it matter how many times it changes hands?

A great friend once told me, as collectors we're all merely "gatekeepers" of these special items we choose to surround ourselves with. We'll all reach that day where we leave this earth, and the items we own will be inherited or more likely sold to another who finds pleasure in owning them. Proof that it's real will be paramount. Proof, is proof. As long as it's rock solid, there will always be buyers.

Think of all the great collectibles that become lost to the ages? I would argue that with time and a growing population, a larger pool of collectors bidding on fewer collectibles make for an appreciation in value of the items with solid provenance.

jake33
10-21-2014, 04:54 AM
I just gave $35 as an example. There is a dollar amount that all of us would be willing to pay for an item with no hard proof, could be 10% of it's real value, or 20% or whatever. I am not saying $35 for that homerun ball, but there is an amount hat would make sense personally to you

helf35
10-21-2014, 08:11 AM
Would resale value be tough if it came with solid provenance? If it starts it's "journey" with proof it's the real deal, assuming the proof travels with it, does it matter how many times it changes hands?

A great friend once told me, as collectors we're all merely "gatekeepers" of these special items we choose to surround ourselves with. We'll all reach that day where we leave this earth, and the items we own will be inherited or more likely sold to another who finds pleasure in owning them. Proof that it's real will be paramount. Proof, is proof. As long as it's rock solid, there will always be buyers.

Think of all the great collectibles that become lost to the ages? I would argue that with time and a growing population, a larger pool of collectors bidding on fewer collectibles make for an appreciation in value of the items with solid provenance.

With bats and jersey's you always have a photo matching option to be 100% sure, with a ball you do not have anything to go by other than a persons honesty. I can catch a foul ball in a game and take pictures of myself sitting in the bleachers saying I caught "fill in your superstar here" HR ball and sell it as that and probably even get the player to sign and inscribe it at some point. Now all that has happend is a shitty imposter has hit the market. True there are some balls that are the real deal but the only proof you have is someones statement on a piece of paper and we all know how a majority of COA's are garbage anyway, so would you shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for that? Its only my opinion but i think for me I am going to need a mlb hologram, catch one or pay somebody that caught it next to me for one.

carbonrosa
10-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Another good example of a well-documented homerun ball being sold with no MLB sticker is Brandon Crawford's first grand slam by a shortstop in post season history. It just sold on EBay for $2300. Item #121463333306
As you can see, he shows some really good pictures of him in his seat with the ball at the game which then you could cross reference with MLB video. He also includes two news articles about him catching the ball. If I was the one buying this, I would've added one more stipulation before I paid. I would've had him create a notarized letter even if it cost me a little more with detailed pictures of the ball stating that he just sold it to me to keep the Providence chain going.

ShaimOnYou
10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Another good example of a well-documented homerun ball being sold with no MLB sticker is Brandon Crawford's first grand slam by a shortstop in post season history. It just sold on EBay for $2300. Item #121463333306
As you can see, he shows some really good pictures of him in his seat with the ball at the game which then you could cross reference with MLB video. He also includes two news articles about him catching the ball. If I was the one buying this, I would've added one more stipulation before I paid. I would've had him create a notarized letter even if it cost me a little more with detailed pictures of the ball stating that he just sold it to me to keep the Providence chain going.

Great example. And let me add this thought.

In a case like this, there's always a "devil's advocates" that will stink up the room by asking "What happens if the guy switches up balls and keeps the real one for himself? He cashes in on his lucky moment, and also keeps the goods while some other chump walks off with the loss and a falsely represented home run ball worth nothing?"

That's a self-defeating proposition. Once he lists the ball for sale and posts all the proof he has with it, if the seller was to pull a quick-switch, the ball he sold would be forever recognized as the real home run baseball because of the listing, pictures, and fact he went through the process of publicly listing and selling it.

So that argument doesn't work. If someone who has a special ball like that actually does pull an ill-advised fast one like this, his ball will forever be tarnished and not worth it's weight in water. He might as well just have sold the real ball in the first place.

Roady
10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Just buy some of those batting practice home run balls that one seller sells on Ebay. They are a real steal and in high demand! :D

ShaimOnYou
10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Just buy some of those batting practice home run balls that one seller sells on Ebay. They are a real steal and in high demand! :D

You mean that "ballhawk" guy in Chicago at Wrigley? Yeah, his prices are a bit confusing. I have literally HUNDREDS of BP home run balls I've caught over the years at Dodger Stadium. I get more enjoyment out of keeping them in a barrel than I would for trying to sell them for $50 a piece. To each his own, I guess. I can see how some fans would be interested in buying one from their favorite player. The real ones (with proof) cost a whole lot.

carbonrosa
10-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Speaking of ball hawks, the most famous one, Zack Hample has caught some serious homerun balls over his career with amazing Providence from Barry bonds to Mike Trout's first homerun ball and a Derek Jeter homerun ball which I've tried to buy from him. Even ESPN has showed videos of him running back-and-forth catching multiple homeruns in a game. I'm sure some of you follow his blog so you know exactly what I mean.

sox83cubs84
10-22-2014, 10:02 PM

Yeah, but remember: they were caught by a Wrigley Field Ballhawk, so they're more valuable!:p

Dave Miedema

Roady
10-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Yeah, but remember: they were caught by a Wrigley Field Ballhawk, so they're more valuable!:p

Dave Miedema
But the real question is ............Is the shipping free? ;)