PDA

View Full Version : The Call or just Voices

godwulf
10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
In a move that would have been roundly questioned and criticized by several family members and doctors (had they found out about it), today I dragged myself out of a bed where I've been very slowly recovering from pneumonia to drive across town and inspect a lot of 17 prospects' bats from the Arizona League and Instructionals that were sitting in the driveway of a guy I know. They will be in my car trunk till the wife goes to work in the morning.

This seems a little crazy now, even to me. Is this just a guy thing, as I tend to suspect? We pursue our hobbies even to the point of disregarding our physical well-being? We spend half our time torn between being proud of ourselves and wondering if we're doing something demented? Do you now do, or have you done, something for the GU hobby that sometimes makes you wonder a little about yourself?

Roady
10-31-2014, 09:51 AM
I sometimes look at my items and wonder why I collect them. I mean I really love the hobby but what is going to happen to them when I am gone or I am just too old to enjoy it anymore.
Sometimes it feels more like a habit than a hobby.

rufusandherschel
10-31-2014, 10:05 AM
I sometimes look at my items and wonder why I collect them. Sometimes it feels more like a habit than a hobby.

Never thought about or looked at it that way, but gives me reason to ponder. Interesting post.

Dach0sen0ne
10-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Sometimes it feels more like a habit than a hobby.

That's the truth!!!!

dmb71vw
10-31-2014, 12:16 PM
I have to agree with Roady. I have had the same thoughts but I am young enough to still have time to enjoy my collection when I am not pondering why I am doing this. The habit part of me has crossed my mind too.

sqzplay6
10-31-2014, 01:14 PM
Your comment about the bats staying in your trunk until your wife leaves for work the next day made me laugh. Who hasn't done that before?!?!?!?!

If you still enjoy chasing a rare bat, tracking down a bat to fill a collection, or learning something new about the game, then it isn't an addiction. Cashing in your kids college fund to do these things... well...

Maybe I haven't collected long enough to opine.

metsbats
10-31-2014, 04:29 PM
The bat story reminded me of the time I snuck a bat rack from Shea Stadium into my house

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25346&highlight=shea+bat+rack

I was ill in the hospital back in 2000 and had tickets to a Mike Piazza signing in New Jersey. My wife and her sister ended up going for me and getting the items signed ( Ironically I had nothing for him to sign and i was going to do this for a friend). If I were not in the hospital physically i may have dragged myself to it.

cjw
11-01-2014, 10:39 AM
The habit comment is also interesting to me. I have recent taken stock of my collection. The motivation to reduce has come in the form of a shook to arrive first child. Room to display and $ to put into my collection is clogging to disappear. In addition, my priorities are changing.

I want to hang on to some special items that are meaningful and special, but the unfocused, scattered collecting days are over for me. Ultimately their isn't anything in my collection that I would move if I needed too.