PDA

View Full Version : Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

hblakewolf
01-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Forum Readers-

Yankwood made a post about his terrible experience with Nettles which has me thinking.........

WHAT'S YOUR WORST EXPEREINCE WITH AN ATLETE RELATED TO GAME USED EQUIPMENT?

It may relate to you trying to get an item autographed, asking a player if he remembers using your item, etc.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

MikeSimon
01-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow, Howard...I don't think anyone will top that one!
That's quite a story. Someone must have pissed in Kirk's cornflakes that day.

Mike

jake33
01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I tried to buy a "game used" jersey from Andy Groom from his days as a bucs, he tried to tell me that his CHARITY AUTHENTIC jersey was game worn, then he admitted it wasn't and gave a full refund, nice guy otherwise though.

Howard, if you would have gottent that incident on video, that helmet would have gone for twice the money...

worldchamps
01-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for sharing that story...for whatever it is worth I will always think of that when I heard his name...what a jerk.

Bill

hblakewolf
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Forum Readers-
Here's a little more positive experience with a batting helmet at the Kingdome........

Back in 1993, I took my 1991 game worn Chris Haney batting helmet to the Royals game (he was traded to the Royals) in hopes of meeting pitcher Haney and getting him to auto. this gem. Although not a huge name, the helmet was his rookie gamer from Montreal. It had the rare Desert Storm sticker on back (Canadian version, no less!) and HANEY on the bill. When he walked onto the field during pre-games, I asked him if he could autograph it. He gave me a look similar to a deer in headlights and asked me hand it to him to take a look. When I handed it to him, he asked how I got it. when I explained it was purchased from a sports memorabilia dealer who purchased it directly from the Expos, he chimed up and said it was amazing that this type of thing is for sale to the general public, and said he wished he had it for his own collection. I immediately asked if he wanted it, and he said he did. As such, he asked me how much I wanted for it. I said make me a trade offer. After a little going back and forth, Chris thanked me for the helmet and I in turn, thanked him for his Mizuno glove, full name embroidered.

Next up......the story of Steve Carlton and his refusal to sign his 1986 Phillies green St. Patrick's hat for me.......

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

richpick
01-02-2007, 03:11 PM
My worst experience I really can not blame the athlete but it was his friend/bodyguard. It happened at the 1989 All Star game in Anaheim, CA. The team hotel where the players stayed was the Anaheim Hilton and the place was a zoo with autograph hounds so I assumed they would shuttle the players in and out via a side enterance and i was correct. So myself I was around 22 years old at the time, a mother and her son and daughter, and about three high school guys all had the same idea, a total of only 7 people. Quite a difference to the hundreds waiting inside the lobby.

First a limo pulled up and out came Orel Hershiser who ignored us and just entered via the side door. Next came a group of three individuals: Pedro Guerrero, Ozzie Smith, and Pedro's bodyguard/friend. Pedro and his friend stopped to talk to some girls in a convertible and Ozzie came over and signed for everyone, a really nice guy! How I know that the guy with Pedro was his bodyguard is one of the high school guys asked Ozzie who was with Pedro and he told us.

When the bodyguard saw we were waiting he walked over to our group and said "Pedro ain't signing sh*t, Pedro ain't signing sh*t" and I was offended he would walk up to a group which included kids and say such profanity. So I spoke up and said "hey watch your language there are kids here." He then said he did not care and repeated his earlier profanities. Then I replied "So I guess this is where Pedro gets his great reputation as a great guy". I was very upset and trust me this guy was about three times my size and could crush me very easily. So he turns on me and says "What did you say?" and I held my ground and repeated my comment at this time the bodyguard replied as he was face to face with me "He makes more money then you do" and turned away.

Then Pedro walked by and no one in our group even looked at him. I then apologized on Pedro's behalf to the mother of the children and we all could not believe that this employee of Pedros would be so rude to fans.

I know that this is not a story about an athlete directly but they should still be responsible for the people they hire not to drop profanities around little kids.

JasonM33
01-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Well this isn't exactly what you asked for but I'll chime in anyway. I've been lucky enough to meet all of my favorite thletes nd I had nothing but positive experiences.

I met Jose Canseco at my local gym. He was really cool. He acted like a regular guy. No attitude. This was pre steroid scandaland no we didn't talk about steroids even though we were at a gym. We talked about cell phones.

Mike Tyson actually sat next to me at the movies. Nice guy, very quiet.

Bernie Kosar was the best. I met him at Cleveland Browns training camp. Most of the players barely signed after the long practice. Kosar on the other hand stayed and signed for ever person who waited for him. It was a lot of people. He actually signed two things for me and made people move out of the way so he could sign for me since I was wearing his jersey. That was one of the coolest things that ever happened to me. He's always been a hero of mine since I was a kid.

Tito Ortiz was cool guy. I didn't get to talk to him for very long because there were a lot of people trying to meet him. He appreciated me because I was wearing my Punishment Athletics t-shirt.

Magic Johnson seemed nice but there were so many people around I didn't get to talk to him.

I've met a bunch of other athletes but these guys are my favorites at their respective sports.

-Jason M

richpick
01-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Here is a funny experience when I look back on it. It must have been around 1990 and my buddy was dating a Los Angeles Rams cheerleader so the cheerleaders would go where the players were after the games and we would meet her there. On this day I was at Peppers a Mexican restaurant in Garden Grove, Ca and was at the bar ordering beers for our group of friends when I did not notice a gentleman sit down next to me at the bar. As I picked up the order and turned I spilt his beer right into his lap, yes an entire glass of beer in his lap. I apologized and offered to buy him a new beer. He declined. I offered again. He declined. After the third offer he said "just get out of here" so I quickly returned to my group. The guy was Kevin Greene who was quite nice considering that I just dropped a beer in his lap.

jboosted92
01-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I had a real good experience at a tri-star show back a few years ago..

it was a rare Tom Brady public appearance (possibly his last that Im aware of) in NJ. This was in the summer of 2003 (post 2001 SB pre 2003 SB)

So outside of New England he was a good leading young QB..in New England he was Larry Bird with a helmet..

Anyway... He had just arrived around 11am flyin in from Cali from the QB challenge..you could tell he was tired as h3ll.. he looked like he had about 3 hours sleep...

He spoke to each person for at least 2 minutes (that doesnt sound long...but it is)..

Real stand up guy..and the best Qb in the league

metsbats
01-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Mookie Wilson is one of Mets all time good guys and one of my all time favorites too so this is not a knock on him presonally.

I presented Mookie one of his game used Louisville sluggers which is stamped William "Mookie" Wilson which is the signature he signed with HB and asked him if he would sign it as such. He politely declined and told me he has not signed his name like that in years. I was disappointed as I thought it would have been unique to have his autograph exactly like the stamped signature but respect his policy.

Definitely does not fall under a "worst experience" though.

David

Kid4hof03
01-02-2007, 11:55 PM
I had Graig Nettles call me a thief and throw a fit when I tried to have a bicentennial bat and a couple of jerseys signed. He was such a jerk that within 2 weeks I had sold my entire Nettles collection: 3 bats, 2 jerseys, a helmet and a few other items.

Abe

jake33
01-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Here are a couple good experiences, for the last 5 years I go to every time the D-rays play the twins in minnesota, I have about 17 different d-rays game used jerseys and I had Jorge cantu sign his #59 rookie gamer and gave me his hat, real good guy, even though tried to hook up with my girlfriend and gave her his cell phone number and the numebr at the marriot in minneapolis.

Jonny gomes too is a GREAT GUY, he has remembered me from the alst two years, i wore his #60 game jersey and his aunt and uncle who live in minneapolis saw that I was wearing it, called jonny over, and he signed it and gave me 3 game balls.

Also, Jon Switzer and ty Wigginto were great last year and in 2005 Julio Lugo gave me hsi game hat and signed it after the game.

suave1477
01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Mookie Wilson is one of Mets all time good guys and one of my all time favorites too so this is not a knock on him presonally.

I presented Mookie one of his game used Louisville sluggers which is stamped William "Mookie" Wilson which is the signature he signed with HB and asked him if he would sign it as such. He politely declined and told me he has not signed his name like that in years. I was disappointed as I thought it would have been unique to have his autograph exactly like the stamped signature but respect his policy.

Definitely does not fall under a "worst experience" though.

David

MetsBats I was a bit surprised to see you catergorize Mookie as Mets all time good guys. I am not saying Mookie is a bad expeirience, but I have met and been with Mookie in everal friends circles and when it came anything involving autographs well lets just say he wasnt always a pleasant experience for people as I watched him refuse and turn down autographs for financial reasons.

10thMan
01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
As A Native San Diegan, I attended the Chargers Blood Drive (religiously) for about 15 yrs. I also Donate regularly.

In the early 90`s (dont remember the year) I watched Billy Ray Smith walk towards me, on his way to the Autograph line. I got all happy & said "Hi Mr. Smith" he responded quickly & abruptly..."Dont call me Mr. Smith" He was actually yelling at me & I just didn`t (& still don`t understand why)

I was Embarrassed & red-faced. After that, I stopped walking through the Autograph line & getting generic Items signed!

Not the Best story here, but I own it. Maybe the guy was Hurt? Maybe just an Arse? Maybe YOU know?

Sean

darylv1
01-04-2007, 12:18 PM
About 4-5 years ago, there was a card show in North Jersey where all the living World Series MVPs were signing autographs. I was interested in 2 - Mike Schmidt and Pete Rose. At the time, I had about 100 auto's of the two of them, but what I really wanted was an autographed photo personalized to me. Schmidt obliged without issue, although for $65.00, he could have at least looked up and made eye contact. When I finally made it to the front of the Pete Rose line, I asked very nicely if he could please sign it "To Daryl." He stopped, put down the pen, looked up, and said:

"You've got to be kidding! Think about it. Think about it! If I had to do that for every one of the people, I'd be here all g-d da-- day! Do you think I really want to sit here all day?"

I didn't know what to say except "Excuse me??" He proceeded to pick up the Sharpie, sign "Pete Rose 4256" and in a very disgusted manner slid the photo back to me. I looked around, and everyone within hearing distance had a look of disbelief on their faces.

MikeSimon
01-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Mark Messier

I was with my sister-in-law and my son who was maybe 6-7 yrs old. We were in the HSBC arena after the Sabres had soundly defeated Messier's Canucks. this was a special area in the arena where players came out of their dressing rooms and waited for their team bus. Security is very tight there and you have to know someone to get in.

Messier comes walking out with another player, speaks to a couple of puck bunnies, sighns something for them and then comes towards us. I said, " Mark, do you mind signing an autograph for my son. He's a big fan!". Messier walked right by us muttering something to himself and then stood off in the corner with this other player.

Needless to say I am no longer a Mark Messier fan. Pavel Bure came out right after Messier and took pictures with us and signed whatever we wanted....a great guy!

Mike

jake33
01-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow, after reading all of everyone else's experiences, most of them would eb very embarassing moments not just for the athlete but for you, the fan. Amazing how some athletes just don't get the big picture and really how close they were to not even playing pro sports...

bscott
01-04-2007, 04:07 PM
these posts have been a hoot to read.

before i tell my worst experience, i must say that most experiences with athletes reveal that they are pretty good people, who do what they can for the fans when they can. I have far too many good experiences to mention with folks like Jeter, cubs announcer Haray Caray, Johnny Bench, Johnny Damon, Mark McGwire, Bo Jackson, Sandy Koufax.. the list goes on and on.

that said, here's the dirt:

when i was about 9 or 10, i lived in Houston (transplanted from Chicago, so i was still a cubs fan) and attended quite a few Astros games. this was about 1983 or 84. Back then, most athletes had to exit the Astrodome and wade through a couple handfuls of fans and autograph seekers. even most of the star players would leave at the same exit to board the team bus. there was little security and no barriers to keep fans away from the players back then.

my family mostly went to Cubs games. so i met and got autographs from Ryne Sandberg, Jody Davis, Steve Trout, Jay Johnstone, Leon "bull" Durham and the like. Almost all good fellows who signed what they could as they hurriedly made their way from the building exit to the team bus. One day, Haray Caray came out long after the bus filled up, carring two heavy black briefcases, and even put those down for a moment to sign a couple autographs.

but one player, on one day, came out and refused to sign for anyone, even the kids like me. Mel Hall. I recall him making a pretty good diving catch in right field that game, but he was still pretty much a rookie. a cocky rookie. The man walked back and forth and back and forth asking where his limo was, as guys like Sandberg and Ron Cey walked by signing autographs. He wouldn't sign anything for anyone, and it was mostly kids like myself asking.

Well Mel Hall, where's your limo, now?

-bscott.

ahuff
01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Wow, after reading all of everyone else's experiences, most of them would eb very embarassing moments not just for the athlete but for you, the fan. Amazing how some athletes just don't get the big picture and really how close they were to not even playing pro sports...

I just loved your quote at the end. That is so true, and I don't think people really understand this concept. Especially some arrogant athletes and celebrities. My grandfather taught me something that keeps me grounded day after day. "He said no matter what you do or who you are, there is always someone better." I remember being stunned by the statement, and wanting to argue it. Names like Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and Ali flashed before me. However, once I thought about it, I just couldn't make an argument.

The media blitzes us, daily, with debates about "who's the greatest of all time". Well, here is the thing - we have probably never seen the best player at any sport.

We blindly believe that "the cream will always rise to the top". Well sometimes it does! But I bet more often than not, things get in the way. Family, surroundings, life choices, and sometimes plain unadulterated luck plays the biggest impact. A few great examples come to mind. . .Brett Favre, Mike Piazza, and Kurt Warner. If it wasn't for an insignificant trade (at the time), a favor done for a godson, and an injury to a solid quarterback we aren't even talking about these guys. What a waste that would have been.

I played high school ball with a guy that was the most gifted and creative basketball player in the region. (This includes Ricky Davis -of the NBA- as I was blessed to get to play against him in a pick up game between his senior year and college). This kid could have EASILY had a college scholarship and perhaps gone on to bigger and better things. All he needed was to be given encouragement by his parents or coach. However, non was given, so rarely did he even see game time. That frustrates me to this day.

Long story short, I wish more people could be like the Buck O'Neil's of the world. People that understand that they were truly blessed, and understood the role that those blessings had put them in. If a player doesn't want to sign autographs, be polite to people at the stadium, or make charity appearances, that is fine. However, I do believe that they should then quit and go back to a 9-5 job. Charles Barkley made the phrase "I'm not a role model" famous. Unfortunately, that is one of the most moronic statements I've heard from an anyone. Being a role model comes with the profession he chose. Like it or not! Can you imagine if I told my son that "I'm not a role model". Or, if treated my professional clients and employees the way some of these players/celebrities do?

So next time you're walking down the isles of your local grocery store, and you see that employee that you wish would "just get a life". Just think, he just might, and you might be looking at the next Kurt Warner.

both-teams-played-hard
01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
So next time you're walking down the isles of your local grocery store, and you see that employee that you wish would "just get a life". Just think, he just might, and you might be looking at the next Kurt Warner.

Sorry, dude. I try not to pass judgement on anybody that has a job, period. You must live in Pleasantville. If you one day live in a city with crooks, panhandlers, drug dealers, identity-thieves, public-defacators, un-insured drivers, male-prostitutes and transvestites, then you will have a newfound respect and admiration for bagboys, stock-workers and clerks.

Autograph-seekers have dollar signs in their eyes. Everyone wants something for free. Athletes and celebrities are people and can't be "on-call" to accomodate the fanatics....err fans that camp outside the hotel, lying in wait.
I can't imagine a parent saying to their kid: "why can't you be more like Charles Barkley?"
In the words of the immortal Ice Cube..."to a kid lookin' up to me-life ain't nothing but b*t*hes and money..."

ahuff
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry, dude. I try not to pass judgement on anybody that has a job, period. You must live in Pleasantville. If you one day live in a city with crooks, panhandlers, drug dealers, identity-thieves, public-defacators, un-insured drivers, male-prostitutes and transvestites, then you will have a newfound respect and admiration for bagboys, stock-workers and clerks."

Despite the fact that you were being a smart arse, you actually agreed with my statement. That was my point exactly!!! Don't think more highly of yourself than you do of them.

About living in pleasantville. . .I don't. I believe we have those in most places that have a population larger than 1. My only concern about the statement was why you didn't just say prostitutes? Is a male prostitute worse than a female one? But that does contradict your statement about not passing judgement on someone that has a job.

3arod13
01-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Not a bad experience, but it was an honor and priviledge to meet Harmon Killebrew a few years ago. He visted my squadron. I also met Mr. Hicks, owner of the Texas Rangers when he also visited my squadron. Memories I will never forget.

Canseco44
01-06-2007, 07:51 PM
This is not a bad experience, I guess we should post another thread since this is supposed to be about bad one. Anyways, in 2006 at a Houston Astros game I had the pleasure of meeting Jason Isringhausen of the St. Louis Cardinals. He must have stood in one spot for almost an hour and signed for close to a hundred people and even joked with everybody. He would even do personalizations. My thoughts ar he is a standup guy and someone I wouldn't mind my kids following his career. I am now collecting him and would love to have a game used bat labeled IZZY if anyone knows of one. Thats odd, the two players I collect are Isringhausen and Canseco. Any Thoughts?

Todd Ricks

yanks12025
01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
This does not really go along with some of your guys posts. But so far my worst experience was during 2005 at the WBC. And Moises alou was doing autographs at the end of the dugout. And there was a railing in my way. So i rolled the ball to him it hit his arm and almost made him drop another persons ball while he was signing it thank god he did not. He did sign my baseball but when he looked up to roll it back he gave me like a mad stare it was kinda funny though.

jonpaulmoen
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Not necessarily a "worst" experience, but sometime between '89-91, I had the chance to caddy for Kevin McHale at Golden Valley Country Club in Golden Valley Minnesota. He didn't really talk to me and just gave me $20 for about 4 hours worth of work. He did though let me get a photo of him and I at the end. Damn he had huge golf clubs!

Was at a Twins game in the early 90's when they were playing the mariners. I was hanging out watching batting practice when Ken Griffey Jr. walked by. I was about 15 or 16 yo and was surrounded by a bunch of younger kids who, when they saw him, were of course all yelling "can I get your autograph?" Griffey turned to all of us and in a really cocky kind of way and said, "Not right now." Just the way he said it left a bad taste in my mouth for the last decade or so. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he wiped the smiles off all those kids faces in an instant.

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
My worst experience or one I remember so vividly was when I attended a baseball game in St. Louis with the Cardinals and the Reds. I was 7 or 8 if I remember correctly. After the game, my father and I waited out in the back area to see if any ball players came out to board the team bus. I had a program in my hand from the game and a pencil. Pretty soon Pete Rose came out and when I politely asked for his autographed he looked at me and said..."Sorry, I'm not Pete Rose." Then another player came out a couple of minutes later and signed my program. It was the Reds pitcher-Jack Billingham. After signing he turned and yelled at the first player who had already boarded--"Hey Pete, I'll catch you in a couple of minutes!"

One of my nicest experiences was taking a Lou Gehrig bat to Comiskey park a few years ago and making a huge sign asking Cal Ripken to sign my Gehrig bat. I had to get special permission to take the bat in from the head of security at the park and also be lucky enough to catch his attention and interest after his warm ups. As he was leaving the field after batting practice, I asked him if he would sign it--he motioned for the bat...looked at it...took a couple of cuts with it...and sat down on the dugout steps and autographed it...then handed it back and thanked me for letting him see it as well as I thanking him back. It was the only item he signed at the park that entire evening. How lucky did I feel with 16,000 plus people in the stands that night.
A truly class act all the way and still continues that way at shows as well. Congratulations on todays HOF election!

topekabob
01-10-2007, 01:16 AM
One good, one bad, one great, one middling experience and a good non-sports experience:

Good: I was about 12 years old and was on the field for an old-timers game before a Portland Beaver baseball game. I asked Ernie Banks for a photo and a signed ball and he was the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Still have the photo. I look like a dork, but it's a great photo.

Bad: Saw Hank Aaron standing by the dugout, doing nothing, and went over and said "Mr. Aaron, would you please sign my ball?" He looked at me with disdain, took the ball, and without looking at it, scribbled something that was totally incromprehensible and unrecognizable. Handed it back to me and still wouldn't look at me. Made me a feel like a idiot.

Great: Snuck down to the bullpen during a Beavers game (amazingly, a vendors hat did the trick - remember, I was 12) and sat down on the bench next to former Red Sox hurler Rick Wise. We chatted and then I asked him if he would show me how to throw the curve. He gets up and gives me a five minute pitching lesson - during the game! Then we sit down and he looks at me and says "Shouldn't you be up there selling something?" I said I was on "break." Nice guy, needless to say.

Middling: During a spring training game I caught a foul ball and brought it up to Frank Robinson, who was sitting in the stands. I had my 2 year old son with me and asked him to sign it for my son. He signed it but said that he "doubted this was for my son." The ball now sits in my 10 year old sons room and he cherishes it. I guess Frank was a little jaded that day.

Great non-sports: Saw Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) in a play in London. After the play went to the stage door and when he came out he not only signed my program, but when I told him I loved the play, he looked at me and said "Thanks so much for coming, I really appreciate it."
He stayed and signed everything for everybody that was there.

I have to admit, I've never had a pro athlete say "Thanks so much for coming" to me at a ball game!

mdube16
06-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I have to admit, I've never had a pro athlete say "Thanks so much for coming" to me at a ball game!

For what its worth, Scott Kazmir said that exact thing to my wife and I when we got his autograph before a Marlins/Devil Rays game earlier this month. I guess he was surprised anyone showed up at all!!

bigticket
06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
In junior high and high school I enjoyed going down to the Metrodome and getting autographs before Twins games. At that time it was much easier.

Anyway when the Royals were in town around 1990 I am guessing Kirby Puckett and Bo Jackson were heading inside together by the entrance near the outside ticket windows. Everyone else in the small group outside went to Kirby and as usual he signed something for everyone. I, completely alone with not a person around me, had a new official league ball and asked Bo Jackson very politely if he would sign it as he kept going when Kirby stopped. His response without looking directly at me was and I quote, "Look out kid or else." And he kept walking and went inside. Keep in mind it was me and him and not another soul within talking distance. Nice guy.

XPFO
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Worst experience....while in Toronto when the Expos were in town, Felipe alou leaves his hotel and begins to walk to the ballpark. Stops at a red light, I ask him to sign a ball. He (while carrying a large bottle of rum in a brown paper bag) starts giving me this huge spiel about how it is against Major League Baseball policy to sign autographs outside of the stadium....total lie, to each their own.

Best experience.....while in Toronto when Juan Gonzalez played for the Tigers, Juan was sitting out front of his sotel drinking a coffee. Asked him for an autograph signed the ball on the sweetspot, started chatting him up about his homerun the night before. told him I would be cheering for him at the game tonite...he asked me if I needed a ride to the ballpark and we shared a cab to the game. That meant I was at the ballpark 2 1/2 hours early for the game mind you and I got no more sigs that day, but fantastic story and memory (and ball)

Other great players to sign who seemed to enjoy it Rod Beck (RIP), Dikembe Mutombo, Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers...signs every last item you have..if you had 10 cards, he would sign all 10, Torii Huner...will chat your ear off, Sean Green, Ed Sprague...there are many more.

Pricks....Jim Mcilvaine...would ask you a trivia question about something irrelevant and if you answered it wrong he would write, "Back to School" on your card

Allen Iverson...total tool, but not as much so as his bodyguard back when they played the Raptors in the playoffs...that is a long story.

LWMM
06-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I haven't had any really bad experiences (which may be due in part to mainly going to AAA games), but if I had to choose it would be Jose Hernandez about a month ago; after the game his left hand was wrapped up in plastic, and he refused to sign under the premise that he signed lefty and injured said hand during the game. However, nothing happened to him during the game, and when signing a few cards before the game I think he signed with his right hand. For what it's worth, he didn't sign at all before/during/after the next three games either.

XPFO, would you mind posting your story abbout Iverson's bodyguard? I'm afraid that mention piqued my curiosity.

allstarsplus
06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
My story involves a good and almost horrible experience. I put together a display of items from the 2000 Subway series which included a great Piazza bat that was cracked like the one from the infamous Clemens/Piazza flying bat incident.

I didn't think Clemens would sign my Piazza bat, but he did and we had a good conversation about the bat as he inquired if it was "the" bat.

I didn't think I would ever have the opportunity to have Piazza sign the bat until a couple of years ago when one of my good buyers from Atlanta said his good friend that played for the Braves was best buds with Piazza and he was heading over to his hotel when Piazza was coming to town. I told him I doubted Piazza would sign the bat since Clemens had already auto'd it, but he told me Piazza will sign anything and he was personally getting a bunch of stuff auto'd!

I Fedex'd the bat to Atlanta and a couple of days later I get a call that there was a problem. I was like, oh no, what happened. Piazza saw the bat and says to my guy something like----is this a joke! He got agitated and wanted to trash the bat. Luckily I got the bat back. I can certainly see why Piazza was upset.

http://www.allstarsplus.com/BASEBALL/piazza_game_used_bat_display.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/alang20165/clemens_sig.jpg

Carlevv
06-30-2007, 09:22 PM
My worst experience or one I remember so vividly was when I attended a baseball game in St. Louis with the Cardinals and the Reds. I was 7 or 8 if I remember correctly. After the game, my father and I waited out in the back area to see if any ball players came out to board the team bus. I had a program in my hand from the game and a pencil. Pretty soon Pete Rose came out and when I politely asked for his autographed he looked at me and said..."Sorry, I'm not Pete Rose." Then another player came out a couple of minutes later and signed my program. It was the Reds pitcher-Jack Billingham. After signing he turned and yelled at the first player who had already boarded--"Hey Pete, I'll catch you in a couple of minutes!"

One of my nicest experiences was taking a Lou Gehrig bat to Comiskey park a few years ago and making a huge sign asking Cal Ripken to sign my Gehrig bat. I had to get special permission to take the bat in from the head of security at the park and also be lucky enough to catch his attention and interest after his warm ups. As he was leaving the field after batting practice, I asked him if he would sign it--he motioned for the bat...looked at it...took a couple of cuts with it...and sat down on the dugout steps and autographed it...then handed it back and thanked me for letting him see it as well as I thanking him back. It was the only item he signed at the park that entire evening. How lucky did I feel with 16,000 plus people in the stands that night.
A truly class act all the way and still continues that way at shows as well. Congratulations on todays HOF election!
Thats pretty cool. Ive been fortunate to work in a clubhouse for 10 years. A visiting clubhouse at that. Cal was always one of my favorites. If i wanted something signed he would say but it in the back room. After the last game of the series on getaway day Cal would have requests from the other team and from various big wigs with the team i worked for. Cal would sign at least 50 autographs or whatever was put in this back room. If you wanted it personalized he would always oblige and never use the vanilla term "best wishes" He signed a picture of him and i and wrote "Looks like a couple of goofy guys to me." Thats just a small sample of how cool Cal was. Its great seeing guys like him go into the Hall Of Fame. A class act and a GAMER!

Vintagedeputy
07-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Easy one for me......Mark Wohlers

A few years ago, Wohlers was pitching for the AAA Richmond Braves and was stinking up the place like a backed up sewer line. This guy was awful but he was working with a torn oblique (or whatever it was).

Anyway, Wohlers came into the game and blew the lead and lost it. Amazingly, a group of us stil wanted his autograph even after he lost the game for us. About 5-6 of us waited near a gate that goes to the parking lot. I saw him first and said "Mr. Wohlers, could you sign my picture". I had a 1998 Braves team composite photo. Wohlers stormed past my and at the same time grabbed my picture and sharpie and scribbled all over it. I started to run after him as he never stopped. He turned and tossed the ruined picture to me. Then he threw a backhand bitchslap at the next poor guy and knocked a ball clean from his hands and it rolled along the parking lot.

A simple "not tonight fellas" would have sufficed.

mvandor
07-01-2007, 09:54 AM
About 4-5 years ago, there was a card show in North Jersey where all the living World Series MVPs were signing autographs. I was interested in 2 - Mike Schmidt and Pete Rose. At the time, I had about 100 auto's of the two of them, but what I really wanted was an autographed photo personalized to me. Schmidt obliged without issue, although for $65.00, he could have at least looked up and made eye contact. When I finally made it to the front of the Pete Rose line, I asked very nicely if he could please sign it "To Daryl." He stopped, put down the pen, looked up, and said:

"You've got to be kidding! Think about it. Think about it! If I had to do that for every one of the people, I'd be here all g-d da-- day! Do you think I really want to sit here all day?"

I didn't know what to say except "Excuse me??" He proceeded to pick up the Sharpie, sign "Pete Rose 4256" and in a very disgusted manner slid the photo back to me. I looked around, and everyone within hearing distance had a look of disbelief on their faces.
With everything that's now public knowledge on Rose, is anyone shocked he's an arrogant jerk to the fans that are now 90% of his income?

Guy deserves to spend the rest of his days sitting at an autograph card table in Vegas.

HENMICK44@OPTONLINE.NET
07-07-2007, 12:09 AM
So Many Of These Athletes Are Full Of *#$%.all There Interested In Is Money.they Forget We Pay Their Bills By Going To Watch These Primadonas Play Ball.i'm A Die Hard Yankee Fan And Only A Few Of These Present Day Guys Are "good Guys".in The Old Days You Would See Players Signing Items For Fans Before And After The Game,now When People Are Cheering For Them Like They Cured Cancer They Won't Even Look At You In The Stands.some Yankees Today Don't Sign Certain Items,won't Sign On The Sweet Spot,and Some Just Ignore You And Pickup Their Millions Of Dollars For Playing A Kids Game.now I'm Not Bitter,all Of Professional Athletes Get Paid Way To Much But Thats Just A Sign Of The Times,but When Someone Ask You For A Autograph And You Do Sign Something For Them Remember That You Made That Persons Day,and That Should Make You Feel Just As Happy As The Fan.so Many Of These Autograph Companies Have Ruined The Hobby By Giving These Guys Signing Contracts And Giving Them More Money That They Don't Need.good Guys To Mention Goose Gossage,phil Rizzuto,jason Giambi,roger Clemens,paul Oneill.then You Have The $#@%'s Posada,a-rod,roberto Kelly,to Name A Few.

B1SON
07-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Way to stick to your guns Rich! You could have taken him! ;)

My worst experience I really can not blame the athlete but it was his friend/bodyguard. It happened at the 1989 All Star game in Anaheim, CA. The team hotel where the players stayed was the Anaheim Hilton and the place was a zoo with autograph hounds so I assumed they would shuttle the players in and out via a side enterance and i was correct. So myself I was around 22 years old at the time, a mother and her son and daughter, and about three high school guys all had the same idea, a total of only 7 people. Quite a difference to the hundreds waiting inside the lobby.

First a limo pulled up and out came Orel Hershiser who ignored us and just entered via the side door. Next came a group of three individuals: Pedro Guerrero, Ozzie Smith, and Pedro's bodyguard/friend. Pedro and his friend stopped to talk to some girls in a convertible and Ozzie came over and signed for everyone, a really nice guy! How I know that the guy with Pedro was his bodyguard is one of the high school guys asked Ozzie who was with Pedro and he told us.

When the bodyguard saw we were waiting he walked over to our group and said "Pedro ain't signing sh*t, Pedro ain't signing sh*t" and I was offended he would walk up to a group which included kids and say such profanity. So I spoke up and said "hey watch your language there are kids here." He then said he did not care and repeated his earlier profanities. Then I replied "So I guess this is where Pedro gets his great reputation as a great guy". I was very upset and trust me this guy was about three times my size and could crush me very easily. So he turns on me and says "What did you say?" and I held my ground and repeated my comment at this time the bodyguard replied as he was face to face with me "He makes more money then you do" and turned away.

Then Pedro walked by and no one in our group even looked at him. I then apologized on Pedro's behalf to the mother of the children and we all could not believe that this employee of Pedros would be so rude to fans.

I know that this is not a story about an athlete directly but they should still be responsible for the people they hire not to drop profanities around little kids.

B1SON
07-07-2007, 02:32 PM
What a first class jerk! I would have lost my cool on him! ;(

Easy one for me......Mark Wohlers

A few years ago, Wohlers was pitching for the AAA Richmond Braves and was stinking up the place like a backed up sewer line. This guy was awful but he was working with a torn oblique (or whatever it was).

Anyway, Wohlers came into the game and blew the lead and lost it. Amazingly, a group of us stil wanted his autograph even after he lost the game for us. About 5-6 of us waited near a gate that goes to the parking lot. I saw him first and said "Mr. Wohlers, could you sign my picture". I had a 1998 Braves team composite photo. Wohlers stormed past my and at the same time grabbed my picture and sharpie and scribbled all over it. I started to run after him as he never stopped. He turned and tossed the ruined picture to me. Then he threw a backhand bitchslap at the next poor guy and knocked a ball clean from his hands and it rolled along the parking lot.

A simple "not tonight fellas" would have sufficed.

jettllc0
07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
The difference in athletes can sometimes be startling even when both are young and at the peak of their game.

In back to back shows in Phoenix the promoter had Brandon Webb and Amare Stoudemire. Webb, while quite, was very polite and a very good guy. When his police escort was walking him out a father of three asked for a picture. While the police escort told him no Webb said he would be more then happy to do so and proceeded to talk with the kids while having his picture taken. Amare on the other hand was the total opposite. His gang of hanger ons sat on each side of him and wouldn't let anyone speak to him or take a picture. A HOF'er was in the room at the same time (can't recall who) and someone took a picture of him. Amare's people freaked and threatened to leave if another picture was taken in the room they were in. At this point I decided to get out of line as I didn't want to meet this guy or have him on the Suns. I am still hoping to this day they trade him and soon. It is terrible that the papers don't write about what a total tool guys like Amare are.

JasonHalliburton
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
As a huge Washington Nationals fan, maybe the biggest, I drove from Tennessee to D.C. to see the Nats play the Giants. It was 2005, the inagural season of the Nationals. I drove almost 9 hours one way, by myself to go to the game. It was Barry Bonds' first road game if the year. A great friend of mine got me into RFK Stadium early, before the gates opened. Barry Bonds came out and went into the stands, about two rows behind the plate or so. I walked over to see him and try to get a ball signed and my photo made with him. He sat down to talk to his 2 nephews that live in the D.C. area. I stayed about two rows behind him and did not bother him at all. Once he finished talking and went back toward the field, I yelled at him. I politely said "Mr.Bonds", with no reply. Once again I yelled politely, "Mr. Bonds". He was now about 10-15 feet away from me, and I decided to try it one more time. "Mr. Bonds" I said again. He turned around and looked at me and said "WHAT", really hateful and arrogant. I said "I drove 9 hours one way to see this game, may I please get my picture with you and get this ball signed"? He replied "I flew 5 hours one way to come to work", then he turned around and walked away. I was the only one around him, the only one that was talking to him and wanting anything.It was not like he was being asked by a hundred people. Barry Bonds is an all-star this season, once again. I agree that he is an all-star, an all-star PUNK. And people wonder why he is booed so much and hated by the fans.

BoneRubbedBat
07-07-2007, 10:27 PM
"Work"??? Most of these guys either don't know, or have forgotten what true "work" is. Break a leg Barry. Literally.

allstarsplus
07-07-2007, 11:25 PM
As a huge Washington Nationals fan, maybe the biggest, I drove from Tennessee to D.C. to see the Nats play the Giants. It was 2005, the inagural season of the Nationals. I drove almost 9 hours one way, by myself to go to the game. It was Barry Bonds' first road game if the year. A great friend of mine got me into RFK Stadium early, before the gates opened. Barry Bonds came out and went into the stands, about two rows behind the plate or so. I walked over to see him and try to get a ball signed and my photo made with him. He sat down to talk to his 2 nephews that live in the D.C. area. I stayed about two rows behind him and did not bother him at all. Once he finished talking and went back toward the field, I yelled at him. I politely said "Mr.Bonds", with no reply. Once again I yelled politely, "Mr. Bonds". He was now about 10-15 feet away from me, and I decided to try it one more time. "Mr. Bonds" I said again. He turned around and looked at me and said "WHAT", really hateful and arrogant. I said "I drove 9 hours one way to see this game, may I please get my picture with you and get this ball signed"? He replied "I flew 5 hours one way to come to work", then he turned around and walked away. I was the only one around him, the only one that was talking to him and wanting anything.It was not like he was being asked by a hundred people. Barry Bonds is an all-star this season, once again. I agree that he is an all-star, an all-star PUNK. And people wonder why he is booed so much and hated by the fans.

Jason - I have this picture from 9/20/05 of Barry hanging out with his nephew at RFK in Washington.

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/bonds_2005.jpg

Having a hard time posting pics so click on the link above.

Andrew

allstarsplus
07-07-2007, 11:31 PM
One more pic that someone else took. Check out Barry's huge smile! No jet lag from his 5 hour flight!

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/bonds_2005a.jpg

island_style
07-08-2007, 05:50 AM
One more pic that someone else took. Check out Barry's huge smile! No jet lag from his 5 hour flight!

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/bonds_2005a.jpg

Hmm...756* is relaxing in the stands while his teammates are on the field stretching after they took that same five-hour flight that 756* was on to go to work.

Here's my experience with 756*. While working for a MLB team I tried to get as many signatures of visiting players as I could (while risking suspension for doing this). Inside an empty stadium before the gates were to open, I would ask 756* if he could sign a baseball for me. He turned me down time after time. Eventually, he did sign a baseball, but fast forward three seasons and several Giants series from my first attempt. Oh, well, at least he signed.

The guy can hit, there's no question about that. But, after reading others' experience with him, his mannerism towards others leaves a lot to be desired. Come to think of it, he is close to Willie Mays, isn't he?

He's voted in as a starter for the NL, but here's my 756* wish for the All Star Game festivities: He makes a surprising appearance in the Home Run Derby, walks up to the plate and ends up taking four wide ones. 756* tosses his bat, removes his elbow armor and walks off to the dugout for his only All Star appearance.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

metsbats
07-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi Ron,

Willie Mays is Barry's Godfather.

He's evidently learned from the best on how to treat others.

David

ironmanfan
07-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Ron,

Willie Mays is Barry's Godfather.

He's evidently learned from the best on how to treat others.

David

Barry's own father was no prince either............

both-teams-played-hard
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I was an avid autograph collector throughout my teenage years. I got over 2,000 signatures at Celebrity Golf Tournaments, Trade Shows, and Spring Training in Fla. I was just a punk kid (still am) and learned through trial and error, the best "timing" to ask a grown man to write his name. I was, and am a collector. I never sold an autograph that I asked for. I had great experiences and got autographs from the best: Joe Namath, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Hank Aaron, Michael Jordan, etc. I have also NEVER paid for an autograph. When I was 19 (legal adult, but still a teenager) I waited behind the hotel, in an alley, next to the team bus and along comes Magic Johnson. I had a photo and sharpie in hand. Magic was walking slowly, just be-bopping along. He wasn't carrying any luggage or bags or nothing. He wasn't wearing sunglasses. It was "the" Magic, the guy whose smile will light up the sky from Bangor, Maine to El Segundo (blah,blah,blah). I bought the shoes. I paid my debts to the Magic society. I said "Magic, could I have your autograph?" Magic seemed to walk slower and said, "No". There was no one around. No bodyguards, no other players, no security, no media, nobody. And most importantly, no other autograph seekers. It's more reasonable and easier to reject a crowd than a single punk kid. I was choked up. I said "Magic-C'mon..just one for the road?" He stopped and turned around and took a few steps toward me in a threatening manner and says, "No, man! None for the road!" I was real close to crying. It was just like an after-school special. Now was my golden chance to crack-back on Showtime himself! I quickly and nervously said "Well, Magic...I hope you have a ...bad game." Golden chance blown. Magic Johnson's highlight reel flashed before my eyes. As a kid, I was sold the dream that Magic was a real, nice guy. Reality is a bitch. I have never asked for an autograph since. I am a grown man. I am too old to ask for an autograph. I liked autographs from players who wanted to sign (for free). Yes, those days are over. But how much can you make, being a grown man selling autographs you got at the hotel? The rule is simple. If you were a child when they played...it is fair game to ask for an autograph. How would my life have changed if Magic signed for me? The lesson I learned about fantasy and reality is worth more than an autograph from Magic. The stories I've read on this thread are more valuable than the actual autographs.

Utopian2630
07-08-2007, 11:29 PM
I know this isn't an 'athlete' but I had an autograph rejection experience that took me out of collecting for several years. I'm a huge Paul Simon fan...and as a songwriter he's influenced me a lot. A few years ago, he was speaking at this convention for the New Yorker magazine. This was before he started touring again so I figured this might be my only chance to get his autograph. So over spring break, my parents and I cashed in our free air fare vouchers from a previous promotion to go see him speak. After he finished speaking, I noticed a black town car right by the side entrance of the building and figured it was his. So he walks out by himself and as he is walking I said how much he has inspired me as a writer and asked him to sign a CD. He was very rude and said 'absolutley not'. Needless to say I was devistated. Here was a guy that really inspired me as a songwriter and was a complete jerk. I would have taken it a lot better if he would have let me down easy with a lame excuse but because he was so rude about it I gave up collecting autographs because I just didn't want to have my opinions about an athlete or entertainer 'tainted' because of a bad autograph experience. Fast forward a few years later when he was touring as S and G. My father had just passed away months earlier and my mom and I drove to Cleveland to see them. While we were getting ready to get back in the highway to head home to Pgh, we drove by a hotel and saw two tour busses getting ready to pull in....I figured 'why not' and grabbed my program and ran out of the car. Off comes Paul Simon and I said "I enjoyed the show tonight, could you please sign my program'. This time he said 'sure' and thanked me for coming. I then told him how my dad had gotten me into his music and how he had just recently passed. Paul then said he was very sorry about my loss and hoped the concert was able to brighten my day.

I still don't collect as much as it was something that I mainly did with my dad (eventhough he HATED getting autographs). From time to time I'll go after a band I like or if I have a jersey or something I'd like to get signed from an athlete. Eventhough Paul Simon was very nice the second time around...part of me can never get that bad taste out of my mouth from the experience from a few years earlier.

warheel
07-11-2007, 03:41 PM

My first MLB game was in 1977 when I was 9. I made my dad take me to the players' exit and I got a few autographs. One guy, a backup catcher named Joe Nolan, stopped and actually talked to us, thanking us for coming, asking us if we enjoyed the game, etc. I was already a big Nolan Ryan fan and became a big Joe Nolan fan from then on.

I remember asking Julio Cruz (Julio Cruz!!!) for an autograph at a Sox/O's game in Baltimore in 1985. Before he signed my card, he asked me what I was going to do with it (I was 18 at the time but looked older), I told him I collect signed cards--not that anyone can get rich off signed Julio Cruz cards anyway.

My rule of thumb is like bothteamsplayedhard..I don't ask for autographs anymore unless the player is older than me. Since I am 39 that means I don't ask for autographs of current players. I live in a town with a AA team and will check to see who the manager/coaches are of the visiting team and if I have old cards of them I'll take them to the ballpark and ask them to sign when they aren't busy. These guys are usually happy to be remembered.

My Bonds experience: in 1985, I went to a Prince William Pirates game in Woodbridge, Va. with the express intent of getting Barry's autograph as he was a highly touted draft pick. This was in July so he hadn't been a pro for very long. He ignored me and everyone else, and I have not liked him because of his attitude since then..count me as one of the original Barry haters. OTOH, in '92 or '93 I got a young Derek Jeter to sign his Topps 1st round draft pick card while in A ball in Greensboro. Of course, I still have it because I have never gotten an autograph with the intent to sell.

jake33
07-21-2007, 09:29 AM
THis is NO JOKE, Jorge cantu had sex with my x-girlfriend and I had his personal cell phone number and called him about it and he said "dude, I had no idea she was not single." Nothing against jorge, but it was a bad experience

sfgiants452
07-21-2007, 01:45 PM
One of my worst came last year in Pittsburgh when the Pirates faced the Giants. I stayed at the hotel with the Giants with the goal of getting the entire team to sign the ball in just 3 days. Sounds tough but I almost accomplished it. I got everyone, including Bonds (he was very nice about it and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life), except for 2......brian wilson (for some reason couldnt find him) and ray durham. I asked Ray over 3 times to sign but he refused. First the excuse was "I cant sign in the hotel" (everyone else did), second time was outside and he said "I am not allowed to sign after games" (bs), and the third was in the stadium when he said "I have to go stretch"...and he never did. He also had the nerve to tell a 6 year old that "I am not Ray Durham." He was a completely horrible person. I have also seen others have pretty bad ones. It was after my first Yankees game back in 1996 and after the game my dad brought me to the players exit. Now back then at 5 years old I was too scared for some reason to speak up, so I didnt ask any of the players for anything. Suprisingly there wasnt anyone at the exit except for me, my dad, another 5 year old, and his dad. A ton of Yankees came out and signed for the little kid except for one. Paul O Neil. He walked right by him and said "I am not getting paid to sign autographs" and he continued to his car. Another bad one I have seen was Bobby Bonilla. Once again I was standing next to a kid (wasnt sure of his age) who kept yelling and asking him for an auto. After bp he walks over and to the kids delight...bobby takes the ball writes something and gave it back to him. To the kids dismay Bobby put a huge X on the sweet spot of his ball and walked away. I have had trouble with some people to..... Ken Griffey Jr., rookie on the giants Fred Lewis, again Ray Durham (complete a**h***), Hideki Matsui (only signed for japanese people...love him as a player though),Eric Byrnes, Curt Schilling, etc.
My stories are too long for good experiences, so I will just give a list of the players. Nomar Garciaparra, Omar Viquel, Todd Helton, Mark Sweeney, Carlos Lee, Chris Gomez, Dontrelle Willis, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, David Wright, Willie Mays, and again believe or not Barry Bonds.

Anthony

both-teams-played-hard
01-19-2008, 02:46 AM
When I was 19 (legal adult, but still a teenager) I waited behind the hotel, in an alley, next to the team bus and along comes Magic Johnson. I had a photo and sharpie in hand. Magic was walking slowly, just be-bopping along. He wasn't carrying any luggage or bags or nothing. He wasn't wearing sunglasses. It was "the" Magic, the guy whose smile will light up the sky from Bangor, Maine to El Segundo (blah,blah,blah). I bought the shoes. I paid my debts to the Magic society. I said "Magic, could I have your autograph?" Magic seemed to walk slower and said, "No". There was no one around. No bodyguards, no other players, no security, no media, nobody. And most importantly, no other autograph seekers. It's more reasonable and easier to reject a crowd than a single punk kid. I was choked up. I said "Magic-C'mon..just one for the road?" He stopped and turned around and took a few steps toward me in a threatening manner and says, "No, man! None for the road!" I was real close to crying. It was just like an after-school special. Now was my golden chance to crack-back on Showtime himself! I quickly and nervously said "Well, Magic...I hope you have a ...bad game." Golden chance blown. Magic Johnson's highlight reel flashed before my eyes. As a kid, I was sold the dream that Magic was a real, nice guy. Reality is a bitch. I have never asked for an autograph since. I am a grown man. I am too old to ask for an autograph. I liked autographs from players who wanted to sign (for free). Yes, those days are over. But how much can you make, being a grown man selling autographs you got at the hotel? The rule is simple. If you were a child when they played...it is fair game to ask for an autograph. How would my life have changed if Magic signed for me? The lesson I learned about fantasy and reality is worth more than an autograph from Magic. The stories I've read on this thread are more valuable than the actual autographs.

Yes, I know this is an old story. Years have passed, but I am still haunted by the smugness and arrogance of Tragic Johnson. Sorry for the vent, but we're all friends, right? Everytime I see that rat's face, it reminds me of how much a true richard he is. On TNT's NBA show with Barkley and Kenny Smith, Tragic is occasionally a host. Why? Does he need the money? Is he afraid that he will be forgotten? Too late Tragic, you're a has-been. It's over...put a fork in yourself- cause you're done. I guess I'm suffering from post-magic-stress-disorder....the gift that keeps on giving. You're a fraud. Tragic fronts like he helps the less fortunate. If there is a tax break involved, then he's Mr. Charity. He's a phoney and is so out of touch with low-income neighborhoods in L.A. It doesn't say much for Michigan State U., because he has no grasp of the English language and struggles with subject/verb agreement. Why doesn't Tragic french-kiss Isiah in public anymore? Did folks stopped falling for the "we're just special friends" line? Tragic...nobody cares about your movie theatres, nobody cares what politician you endorse, nobody cares what new business you've opened. Alright, Tragic you're real freakin' rich. Next. Please don't refer to yourself in the third person...that's reserved for active players.

Anyone else have any stories about bad experiences with players?

frikativ54
01-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Hunter Pence. There's absolutely no comparison. I "met" Hunter Pence at an autograph signing put on by Sports Collectibles of Houston on August 26th, 2007. I had called the show's promoters two days before to reserve an autograph ticket and to ask if Pence would pose for a photograph with me. They agreed to both, no problems whatsoever.

When it came to the show, however, Hunter Pence was extremely rude and unfriendly. I told him that I had flown in from Portland, was a huge Astros fan, could I please have the photograph with him to which the show's promoters said I was entitled. He refused to even acknowledge me, threw his hands up in the air, and looked straight at security.

The security guard barked at me that I was "impeding" the flow of the line. What was comical was that the "overseer" for Sports Collectibles of Houston had time to argue with me about what color pen I wanted the signature in (I had grabbed blue, which is apparently inferior to black), but Hunter Pence didn't have 5 seconds to smile and take a picture with me, when my Mom had the camera in hand. And to top it off, this was after I paid $500 for a game-used bat from Pence's people. I was practically in tears, which Hunter Pence obviously saw, and went on unaffected.

I've had my pictures taken with people as famous as Jeff Bagwell and Mitt Romney, but a rookie can't even acknowledge a big fan who flew all the way in from Portland to see the Astros? I've even met Elizabeth Dole and Joe Lieberman, and all were perfectly civil and cordial. If anybody needs a Pence gamer, this person has one to sell.

godwulf
01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking about starting a thread called "Worst FanFest Experiences", since it's about that time of year, in which to tell this story...but this one will do.

One of the best things about this experience is that I have photos to help me remember it as vividly as possible - which hopefully, you'll be able to see when you click on the links.

At last year's Diamondbacks FanFest, they had, as I recall, ten players signing, and they were charging 5 bucks for two players' autographs, for charity. Much to everyone's surprise, Randy Johnson was one of the players.

I own one of Randy's 2001 World Series cracked gamers, and I figured that the FanFest would be a great time to get it autographed without incurring Randy's usual triple-digit signing fee.

The other guys were all great - Jose Valverde, Livan Hernandez, Doug Davis, Micah Owings, and so on. Then it was time to face the Big Unit.

http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=55156816&effectRGB=

As you can see, I'm pointing to the sweet spot on the bat, between the name and the label, and I'm very politely asking Randy to please sign there with a black Sharpie. If I had it to do over again, I'd have put a black Sharpie in his hand, but at the time I didn't think that was necessary.

So Randy very deliberately picks up a blue Sharpie, picks up and turns the bat almost 90 degrees, and signs it on the side - making display of both the name and signature almost impossible.

Note the "What the...?" expression on my face.

http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=55156837&effectRGB=

Mentally shrugging this off as "Whatever", I then begin to ask the question, "Hey, Randy...somebody told me that you guys were issued a certain number of these bats for the Series...do you happen to remember how many you got?" Before I'd even finished asking the question, Randy was shaking his head...and then he sat there staring down at the bat through his dark glasses like it was a snake or something, and finally he said - in a very grumpy and irritated tone, "I don't even know where you got this bat!"

I hadn't been asking him to authenticate the thing, for cryin' out loud - just asking what I thought was a simple, innocent question.

Anyway, again, mentally shrugging it off, and taking the hint that our "conversation" was over, I very politely and without a trace of sarcasm, said, "Thank you very much, Randy", and began to walk away. At that point, he looked up (for the first time since I'd walked up to the table, I might add) and - in a very sarcastic and ugly tone, and with a little smile on his face to match, he said, "Have a nice day!"

AROD313
01-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Will Clark almost ran me over with a Cadillac. I was waiting near the Player parking lot at Candlestick and Will the Thrill came ripping in had to be doing at least 50Mph missed me by inches. The guy was a real Jerk when I asked him for his autograph he told me to Blank off and walked into the stadium. I was about 13 at the time. The guy was a real class act.

skyking26
01-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Mark McGwire would stick out in my mind. First got him at a signing after a Tigers game in Detroit early in his career. At the time I believe he was going thru his divorce and had a BEAUTIFUL long haired brunette at the signing practically sitting on his lap the whole time. His mind was obviously on other things and he said little. Flash forward to his later years with Oakland in Det. again. My wife and I watch him hit one on the left field roof. I went out by the team busses (Sunday getaway day to the airport). All I wanted was a picture with him. Had nothing to sign. He was probably the last guy out, and I hollered "great shot today" out to him and he stopped and looked at me like I was the lowest form of life on the planet.

I still today am a fan of the ability to crush a ball before and after steroids, but do not think much of him as a person given how I perceived him...

srothw
01-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Best: Kirk Gibson spring training 1984
Best: Ozzie/Jose Canseco at a show I co-promoted in 1989. Fricking hilarius guys.

Best: Pete Rose at same show in 1989 and at Stadium in 1990. Took a dozen balls from me and asked how long I needed them back in. they arrived in less than a week -at no cost plus a letter.

Worst: Pete Rose in LV in 2002. Total DI**, especialy after being so cool in 89,90. Tried to say hello, nice to see you again and was a fing prick.

Worst: Magic Johnson. Met him 3-4 times at MSU games and he always treats people like cra*. I witnessed him sign about 100 autographs for African-american people but ignored me and friend for 45 minutes while rubbing his sweat on me.-we were the only whie people in teh room. Made me wonder or at least get pissed off at him.

skyking26
01-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Mark McGwire would stick out in my mind. First got him at a signing after a Tigers game in Detroit early in his career. At the time I believe he was going thru his divorce and had a BEAUTIFUL long haired brunette at the signing practically sitting on his lap the whole time. His mind was obviously on other things and he said little. Flash forward to his later years with Oakland in Det. again. My wife and I watch him hit one on the left field roof. I went out by the team busses (Sunday getaway day to the airport). All I wanted was a picture with him. Had nothing to sign. He was probably the last guy out, and I hollered "great shot today" out to him and he stopped and looked at me like I was the lowest form of life on the planet.

I still today am a fan of the ability to crush a ball before and after steroids, but do not think much of him as a person given how I perceived him...

Honorable mentions on the bad guy list would include Reggie Jackson. He appeared locally about 10 years ago with his army of guys. Back then there was a crippled girl that would always be there - but could not afford the auto. of the players, so she'd watch. I overheard from my spot in the line guys telling Reggie how great it would be image-wise to go up and talk to the girl. He said he wanted no part in it. They finally convinced him and he got his s*rry as* up and went over and pretended to be friendly to her. What a loser.

*Al Kaline. Total jerk in almost every scenario I have encountered him whether paid or a walk up.
*Hank Aaron. Sat out in the limo and made hundreds wait in line while he watched a football game on tv. Then when I asked if he'd write 755 on the ball he told his guys, "I thought I told you guys I was not writing anything but Hank Aaron." Not a nice man.
*Willie Mays. Stll mad he did not make the $$. Today he will deliberately sign in another location other than where you ask to piss you off.

I'm sure I could think of more. These stick out over the years as the worst!!

AWA85
01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Mine may not be as bad as some, but it sticks out to myself and always will. Being from Iowa it was big that my girfleind got me REDS tickets to see the Reds and Cubs play in Cincinnati. Well her and I go there hours early and I am a huge Homer Bailey fan after watching him pitch in single A and working his way up. I call out a few times to him as he is going to stretch (not playing that day) he doesnt even look over. Than as he is walking back with hardly anyone along the first base side because it is so early I call out to him and my girlfriend asks him politely a couple of times and he just walks by without even looking. Sad part was I wanted to name our cat Homer, but the girl and I comprised on Bailey.... and he was just too cool that day.

Things like that may not mean they are like this all the time but shows how cool some of these guys think they are, and how much it really means to some fans.

godwulf
01-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Things like that may not mean they are like this all the time but shows how cool some of these guys think they are, and how much it really means to some fans.

Maybe the fame, success and money causes some of these guys to become that way - rude and contemptuous around the fans - but in other cases, I think they must start out that way.

I've gone out to the Arizona Fall League games the past couple of years, and these are, for the most part, double-A guys, though they are the best double-A guys, and it seems like even at that stage in their careers, you see a huge division in attitude. Most seemed to take the autograph seekers in stride - even the guys with the huge binders who wanted them to sign a dozen of the same card - and some of the better-known prospects, like Ryan Braun and Max Scherzer, went out of their way to make themselves available to the fans, and would hang around in the parking lot for half an hour after a game to make sure everybody got an autograph who wanted one. Other guys were very surly about the whole thing, and made it clear that they resented even being talked to.

I guess maybe it all boils down to the fact that there are good guys, friendly people, along with with opposites, in every line of work, and sports is no exception.

godwulf
01-20-2008, 10:31 AM
along with with opposites

Should read "along with their opposites". This board really needs an Edit function. :rolleyes:

Josh M
01-20-2008, 09:16 PM
This was a few weeks ago. I was at a club and saw Jason Kidd and Vince Carter and a few other various Nets players. My friend went up to Vince and just said "Hey, I'm a big fan, I've liked you since you were at UNC" and just wanted to shake his hand...........and Vince goes "Whatever" and just turns away.

It'd be one thing like the story explained on page 1 of being tired and real late............there was really no one around them and they weren't with anyone. Oh well............

commando
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
It's interesting how the same players (or entertainers) have been listed under both the good and the bad.... Even Barry Bonds! While Willie Mays and Barry Bonds are obviously legendary for their disdain of autograph seekers, some of these players are just victims of timing and what's going on in their lives at the moment I would imagine.

I had the chance to meet Ray Nitschke in Denver at a show shortly before his death. The line for his autograph was very short, and Mr. Nitschke took the time to sign a throwback jersey and pose for a photo with me! During the photo shoot, a couple of middle-aged burnouts wearing Packers caps started heckling me, saying I wasn't even old enough to see Nitschke play (which was true, I was one year old when he retired). Well Ray, in that Wisconsin voice of his, lobbed a few back at those guys, telling them their comments were uncalled for.

It was the first (and probably the last) time a Pro Football Hall of Famer ever defended me!

godwulf
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm not a big Barrry Bonds fan, to say the least - but I have to confess that my one personal encounter with the man was not unpleasant, even if it was a little weird.

While going to school, I was working as an alarm company dispatcher, monitoring people's home burglar and fire alarms, and we also remotely monitored some gated communities - answering the phone at the gate and buzzing people in when they gave us the password.

One evening, probably in '95, Barry Bonds rolled up to one of the gates and asked to be let in. He said that he was renting a house from a woman in that community during Spring Training. I quickly checked in the computer and saw that the residence's password was "Baseball", so that made sense, but Barry didn't know the password.

When I advised him that I was sorry, but that I couldn't let him through the gate without the password - that he'd have to contact the owner of the house by phone and obtain it before I could help him, and that this precaution was for his own security - I braced myself for a blow-up. Instead, he said, "Okay, that's cool." I was so surprised that I accidentally pushed the button on my phone that opened the gate. So after telling him that I couldn't open the gate for him...I opened the gate for him. He must have thought I was an idiot. :rolleyes:

godwulf
01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
During my year as a dispatcher, I also got to speak at length with Charles Barkley's lovely wife, who got her car stolen at the mall while simultaneously managing to lose her house keys. Also Glen Campbell's wife, Rob Halford's significant other (he set off the burglar alarm in the house at least three times a day) and the ice queen, Leona Helmsley - all nice experiences with the notable exception of the last.

Yankeefan01
01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Several good and bad, but here are the one's that come to mind first.

Worst: Another Kirk Gibson. This was back in the late '80's to early '90's at Tiger Stadium after a game. I was there with my then 10-12 year old nephew. He was getting Tiger autographs as they left the clubhouse after a game. Gibson walked past without saying anything to anybody so I told my nephew to run up to him and ask. His response "get lost, kid". All around great guy eh?

Best: Another Cal Ripken. This was outside Doubleday Field in Cooperstown. The Orioles were in town to play in the HOF game. This was back when they did it on HOF Induction weekend. There were about 1000 people out in front of this small stadium and Ripken didn't even enter the stadium, he was signing all game out there. Standing next to me was a woman who was going to try and get a Ripken bio signed for her future husband. When her turn came, she told her story to Cal and he said "would you like a pic with me to add to the book?". She said sure. He then took her camera, gave it to the security guy escorting him and said to take their picture. He lifted the rope that seperated the fans from him and took her away from the crowd. Made a great pic I'll bet. He autographed my Camden Yards CBC bat for me. he made alot of people happy that day.

bigtruck260
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Rob Halford's significant other (he set off the burglar alarm in the house at least three times a day)

I am certain that this would have been worth taking photos of.:D

mvandor
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
It's interesting how the same players (or entertainers) have been listed under both the good and the bad.... Even Barry Bonds! While Willie Mays and Barry Bonds are obviously legendary for their disdain of autograph seekers, some of these players are just victims of timing and what's going on in their lives at the moment I would imagine.

I had the chance to meet Ray Nitschke in Denver at a show shortly before his death. The line for his autograph was very short, and Mr. Nitschke took the time to sign a throwback jersey and pose for a photo with me! During the photo shoot, a couple of middle-aged burnouts wearing Packers caps started heckling me, saying I wasn't even old enough to see Nitschke play (which was true, I was one year old when he retired). Well Ray, in that Wisconsin voice of his, lobbed a few back at those guys, telling them their comments were uncalled for.

It was the first (and probably the last) time a Pro Football Hall of Famer ever defended me!
Nice jersey too, I'm betting you'll go to your grave wearing that one! :p

CardinalsFan
01-23-2008, 02:17 AM
One experience that stands out for me was at Spring Training for the Cardinals is 2006. My daughters and I were waiting for the players to drive out from practice and coach Hal McRae stopped to sign. There were serveral adults who virtually pushed kids out of his way to get the autograph. I actually let several kids go in front of me until I was the only when left in line. When I politely asked him to sign he said that was it for the day, even though he had seen me let the kids go first. :mad:

frikativ54
01-23-2008, 07:23 AM
I never mentioned my Dad's worst experience dealing with an athlete. This took place back in 1998, when Randy Johnson had been traded from the Seattle Mariners to the Houston Astros. They were doing a TV special on the Big Unit, so he was signing autographs for the PR.

My Dad yelled "Randy, we miss you in Seattle." The Big Unit, seeing that we were together, refused to sign for either me, my Dad, or my brother. Then, my dad shouts again, "Randy, we miss you in Seattle!" at which point R.J., having had more than enough, screamed back in a gruff voice, "Okay, enough, I've heard you already!"

Of course, the TV cameras caught what my Dad said, editing out Randy Johnson's response. It was funny when family called, telling us that we were on TV. Of course, we then offered the rest of the story. :eek:

kenozebi
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Frikativ54,
If you are serious I would love to buy a Pence gamer. I have met him at the last two tri star shows in houston and had the exact opposite experience. he was always smiling and stopped to take a picture with everyone that wanted one. He even stayed two hours after the first Tristar show ended so that evereyone could have an autograph and picture that wanted one (granted, he got paid, but no one else was willing to stay late).

Maybe he was just having a really bad day. I would tell you he's not like most of the other guys out there, but if you are really ready to give up on him I would love to take that bat off your hands

Birdbats
01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I typically get several autographs each year at the Cardinals Winter Warm Up, and the players are almost universally great to deal with. The past two years, nearly every player I asked gladly wrote some kind of notation under their signature about being 2006 World Champions. But, each year, you can count on one guy being a total jerk -- Mike Jorgensen. Jorgensen played on the '85 NL championship team and has been part of the team's front office for several years, which is why he attends the event.

The first time I got his autograph on one of his GU bats, he spun the bat 180 degrees and signed it on the back.

The next time I got him to sign a different GU bat of his, remembering what happened before, I asked him to sign on the front. Again, he spun the bat and signed the back.

The next year, I returned with the same bat and, again, asked him to sign on the front. Once again, he turned it around... only to find his signature from the year before. He looked up at me, smirked and then wrote his name just above the previous signature.

I'd planned to take the bat back again and again until he made it around to the front, but I sold my '85 team collection and no longer own any of his bats.

This year, my buddy had a red mesh BP shirt from when Jorgensen was the Cards' manager. His daughter agreed to get Jorgensen's autograph for him and they decided having him sign on one of the white numbers was preferable to getting a sig on the mesh material. I shared my tales of woe regarding Jorgensen and warned her to be prepared for disappointment. Sure enough, he signed on the red mesh, above the numbers, and didn't even acknowledge her. Tool.

AWA85
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Jeff that story about singing the back of the bat would get me. Really wonder what the players get out of it by doing such a thing. Ever had any experience with Jack Clark signing? He is coming to town and doing a free signing and was looking forward to meeting him for my first time.

Birdbats
01-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Ever had any experience with Jack Clark signing? He is coming to town and doing a free signing and was looking forward to meeting him for my first time.

Funny you should ask. Clark is great. He was at the Warm Up this weekend -- I'm not even sure he was a scheduled guest, but he was walking around the vendor area signing for anyone who asked. I had a Clark gamer on my bat rack and my friend Wade asked if I wanted him to ask Clark to sign it. So I gave him the bat. He returned a few minutes later with my bat, signed "Jack Clark, The Ripper, 340 HRs, Game Used." I've had Clark sign several bats -- he's always nice, always adds his nickname without being asked and recently has started adding "340 HRs" without being asked.

AWA85
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Glad to hear that, look forward to meeting Jack THE RIPPER.

godwulf
01-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Players who seem to go out of their way to screw something you own up...like Jorgensen with Jeff, and Randy Johnson with me...I don't understand what they're thinking, either.

With Johnson, I just figured he saw this middle-aged guy with one of his gamers, getting it signed for about 1/50 of what he normally charges for an autograph, and he assumed "Dealer" - he probably figured it was going to be on eBay by the end of the day, and he wanted to do whatever he could to try to decrease its value. It's like he's paranoid about anybody making money from his signature, and he just assumes that everybody who wants it is looking to make a buck.

I've been told, by people who've met him in social situations, that Johnson can be a really nice guy until somebody asks for an autograph, and then it's like he just freezes up and gets really hostile. Of course, he has his own collection of signed balls and bats...but I guess he's entitled, or something.

mvandor
01-24-2008, 10:10 AM
I understand athletes tiring of the autograph thing, especially when 90% are just hustled in auctions and not kept these days. But at an organized or paid event, to screw up a valuable item by not signing where asked? Personally, that'd be throw down time for me, fame or no fame.

Since I'm not Joe Frazier, maybe I should collect just athletes 65+ - just in case. ;)

Ripken
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Regarding Jorgenson...

I would write a letter to team owner Bill DeWitt and copy Jorgenson's immediate supervisor within the organization. Explain the situation exactly and tell him you weren't trying to re-sell it (although why anyone in their right mind would think you could get much of anything for one of that guy's bats). Good business people don't want people like that working for them. It reflects poorly on the organization and the Cardinals are not the shining star they were a couple of years ago. They have a new ballpark & need to keep those seats filled. They're also fairly community minded.

Obviously since you tried multiple times and the result was the same, the Cardinal organization can't say it was "an isolated incident", blame it on a "bad day" or some other nonsense.

bigtruck260
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Regarding Jorgenson...

I would write a letter to team owner Bill DeWitt and copy Jorgenson's immediate supervisor within the organization. Explain the situation exactly and tell him you weren't trying to re-sell it (although why anyone in their right mind would think you could get much of anything for one of that guy's bats). Good business people don't want people like that working for them. It reflects poorly on the organization and the Cardinals are not the shining star they were a couple of years ago. They have a new ballpark & need to keep those seats filled. They're also fairly community minded.

Obviously since you tried multiple times and the result was the same, the Cardinal organization can't say it was "an isolated incident", blame it on a "bad day" or some other nonsense.

Yo Jeff!

Jorgenson is a jerk - you are not joking. He has every right - I mean, he was such a star during his time that I am certain he was mobbed by fans everywhere...:D

The post about DeWitt is not far off at all. I sent him a letter regarding an autograph from Albert that did not pass PSA (back when I cared what PSA thought). I got a call from John Mozeliak within a week and he bent over backward to make sure I got another card - and understood my position as a collector/customer. Jorgenson is at that event for a charitable cause - and his bats are basically firewood unless you were putting together a collection such as you were.

If I were you, I would have drawn an "X" through the previous signature with a big NO next to it. The fact that he smirked at you is just plain nutty. I would have pointed out the lack of ball marks and asked him to inscribe "1985 - .195 AVG, 0HR".

Dave

jkalathas
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Reggie Jackson is a complete ass. I went to a show last year to have him sign a print, paid I think it was 100 bucks for his signature and inscription. I drove 4 hours to get to the signing each way. Reggie showed up 2 hours after he was to start signing for the public (although he was in the building, he was upstairs doing the mail in items and watching tv). He doesn't give a darn about the fans. Anyways, he comes and sits down 2 hours late and starts signing. I get up to meet the guy, doesn't even look up. I hand him a silver sharpie to use to sign my photo, and asked him if he would please use it and not the paint pen that he had been signing with. He then says "what you think this is the first autograph I ever signed?" I said no, but I would really appreciate if you could use my silver sharpie and not the paint pen. The jerk starts to sign his name with the paint pen and half way into signing Mr. October the paint pen goes dry. Exactly what I figured would happen. He gives me the photo back and I tell him congratulations on living up to his reputation for being an asshole (pardon my language). On another note, Melky Cabera and Robinson Cano were at the signing and are both very friendly. I asked Cano for an inscription and his agent said NO WAY, Cano didn't listen to him and signed the inscription anyway. He also took photos with everyone. One of the best guys of all time is Mariano Rivera. Signs a perfect signature for every time. He is a shy guy but a very great guy and loves his fans.

crose
05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
John Stockton. I was 9 or 10 years old and my parents took me to a dream team game in Utah. I was all by myself at their hotel and was waiting for the team to leave. I saw stockton walking to his car and ran over to him with a pen and notepad. He completly ignored me and told me he wasnt signing anything, I was even wearing his jersey. Then I met Grant Hill and he was so awesome, even asked me if I wanted one of the bananas he was carrying! Coach Lenny Wilkins was also very nice.

frikativ54
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
John Stockton. I was 9 or 10 years old and my parents took me to a dream team game in Utah. I was all by myself at their hotel and was waiting for the team to leave. I saw stockton walking to his car and ran over to him with a pen and notepad. He completly ignored me and told me he wasnt signing anything, I was even wearing his jersey. Then I met Grant Hill and he was so awesome, even asked me if I wanted one of the bananas he was carrying! Coach Lenny Wilkins was also very nice.

Sweet experience with Grant Hill! Guess I know whose jersey you decided to wear from that day forward. :p

BMH
07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Reggie Jackson is a complete ass. I went to a show last year to have him sign a print, paid I think it was 100 bucks for his signature and inscription. I drove 4 hours to get to the signing each way. Reggie showed up 2 hours after he was to start signing for the public (although he was in the building, he was upstairs doing the mail in items and watching tv). He doesn't give a darn about the fans. Anyways, he comes and sits down 2 hours late and starts signing. I get up to meet the guy, doesn't even look up. I hand him a silver sharpie to use to sign my photo, and asked him if he would please use it and not the paint pen that he had been signing with. He then says "what you think this is the first autograph I ever signed?" I said no, but I would really appreciate if you could use my silver sharpie and not the paint pen. The jerk starts to sign his name with the paint pen and half way into signing Mr. October the paint pen goes dry. Exactly what I figured would happen. He gives me the photo back and I tell him congratulations on living up to his reputation for being an asshole (pardon my language). On another note, Melky Cabera and Robinson Cano were at the signing and are both very friendly. I asked Cano for an inscription and his agent said NO WAY, Cano didn't listen to him and signed the inscription anyway. He also took photos with everyone. One of the best guys of all time is Mariano Rivera. Signs a perfect signature for every time. He is a shy guy but a very great guy and loves his fans.

Rivera is a trooper and a great sport. I've worked Fanfest for the past 5yrs and met Mariano at the All-Star Gala in Houston. There were signs everywhere not to ask any of the players for pictures or autographs. He's sitting at the table next to us eating with his family and a lot of people start coming up asking for pictures and autographs. The guy gets up with his daughter in his arms and starts signing and taking pictures. His wife and his parents look like they are about to lose it. After 10 minutes of this Gala staff finally come up and get everyone away from him. He sits down still holding his daughter and goes back to eating...way too nice of a guy.

orioles03
07-01-2008, 01:03 PM
reggie has to be one of my favorites in 2006 the last series the o's played the yankees reggie came to baltimore some of the o's wanted his autograph i got two dozen baseballs went over asked him to sign them he did he asked who they were for i told him he asked what about you ? i told him i did not have any he went in the ball room got three baseballs and signed them for me.when bp statrd he was helping me with the bucket in center field i got to talk to him the whole bp and play catch withhim he told me how he loves camden yards and how he would love to hit therehe signed every ball perfect he also signed a ball for my moms friend who is a fireman and is battling cancer he signed the ball to him and wrote get better soon and signed hof reggie has to be one of the best i have met.

tigerdale
07-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Forum Readers-

Yankwood made a post about his terrible experience with Nettles which has me thinking.........

WHAT'S YOUR WORST EXPEREINCE WITH AN ATLETE RELATED TO GAME USED EQUIPMENT?

It may relate to you trying to get an item autographed, asking a player if he remembers using your item, etc.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard, I still have that helmet I bought from you..............

geoff
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Hunter Pence was a nice guy when he came to play the Orioles in June 2008.He signed for almost everyone outside but he personalized the Balls he signed for me and my GirlFriend.He was talking to us outside also.He even had to hold back Mike Bourn and Rggie Abercrombie from fighting some guy outside because Bourn and Abercrombie would not sign and that guy said a bad remark to Both.Pence Ran after the 2 Ballplayers and grabbed them both before something bad would have happened.Never seen something like that before with Ballplayers.Hunter would not take pics though.

Carlos Lee was not that nice at all to me.He saw me take a pic of him and would not sign my Ball but signed for every single person except me.

hblakewolf
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Howard, I still have that helmet I bought from you..............

I often think about what could have been, if he had ventured into the stands. Although I'd need a wheel chair, I'd be living large from the personal injury award.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

BIGSTIG
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
"Wild Thing" Mitch Williams was trying to avoiding us kids (I was about 8) at a stop light on his and a few other cubs players route home from Wrigley to the local expressway. Wild Thing, Sandberg, Sutcliffe, Grace sometimes Harry Caray and the beautiful ball girl Marla Collins as well would drive down a side street that ran paralel with the main street, but to avoid the 2 lane street Irving Park and having to deal with all the fans every stop light they would use Berteau. We would wait at the stop light Western ave. and if they got stuck at the light most of the time they would all sign. EXEPT...Wild Thing

One day he wanted to avoid us so bad, the car in front of him had to stop at the light because it turned yellow, then red...but not Mitch. Driving his BIG pick-up truck he swirved around the car in front of him up onto the sidewalk and right over our skateboard ramp. I don't even think he flinched, just sped up and went right through the red light. A real winner...yah right!!

lambertisgod58
07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Best Ever: Jerome Bettis/Jack Lambert/Franco Harris

Worst Ever: Tie between Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann

I went to a CSA show a few years back. Bradshaw who come off all fun to be around on TV is just the opposite off camera. I had a M & N jersey customized with all his stats. I asked him to inscribe it with SB XIII & XIV MVP. Which I paid for. And the whole time he was there, with me or other fans, all he did is complain about the line not moving fast enough. And Lynn Swann....What a jerk!!! I paid over $100 for him to sign my full size helmet and add his HOF 01. He said "you paid for my signature, nothing else". I would have paid for the inscription but he wasn't offering any.

I was at a show in NJ several years ago. The event for the day was over. My wife and I were going out to dinner. As usual, I was waiting for her. We left and I saw a limo parked outside. I then see about 10-15 kids selling raffle tickerts for little league. I see what appears to be Jerome Bettis get out of the limo. I immediately get out of my vehicle and ask for a pic with him. He said "of course". Didn't hurt I had my Steelers sweatshirt on. Then as I was walking away, the kids asked me who he was. When I told them, they rushed him. He sat there and signed for each and every kid. Jack Lambert, my all time favorite player of any sport. I can't say enough. He isn't the most friendly guy with all the fans but he has been with me. Giving me all sorts of inscriptions which he doesn't always do. And taking pictures with my son. Franco the same thing. Just one of the class acts. I wish they could all be that great!!

markize
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
my wife and I were in florida at an event that featured Joe Montana. there were 5 groups of 2 who had vip access, and were to have pictures taken with Montana. after the first 2 groups he started getting aggitated. my wife and I were next in line and heard him say, "I have had about enough of this". he walked away, and went to sit down where the signing was to take place. my wife and I were forced to go around the table, and get the picture while he was sitting down. ok, i guess, but it would have been nice to get it standing up with him as arranged. after about an hour of signing, he got up and walked out. no explanation of anything.....then he came back 20 minutes later.

one of the best was Joe Theisman. he was doing a "motivational speaking" in Harrisburg, PA. after the event, he signed for an hour and a half for everyone that asked. my wife and I waited till last to have a picture of her, and I, and Theisman signed, and inscribed. before he signed, we started talking. I asked him if we could buy him a beer, and he said he was headed back to the hotel. we were disappointed till he said the Hilton where he was staying had a bar. we walked back with him in shock to the bar, and bought him a beer. before we left, he signed our picture, and inscribed it,"To my friends mark, and Kendra......" very cool experience, and very cool guy.

mark

player_collector
07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
This is a good experience, my father took me to a card show when i was younger, probably in 6th grade or so. Lou Brock was signing that day. Of course it cost and we didn't have enough to get it, so we stood on the side and watched him for a little while. As we were standing there, my father was telling me stories about his (Lou's) playing days. We continued on and later we were walking past the area that the players left the stage from. Mr. Brock walked out as we were standing there and my father greeted him. He talked to us for about 15 minutes and introduced himself to me. Although we didn't get an auto (we thought it would be rude), it was nice that he was willing to stop and say hi and even more nice that he actually carried on a conversation with us.

The only bad one that comes to mind is Billy Wagner. We were at a game and people were saying good things to and about him and he wouldn't look at anyone or say anything, he just walked past and stood near the foul line for 10 minutes, doing nothing.

stkmtimo
07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I know this is an older thread but I'd like to share a good experience with a true class act - the legendary Bob Feller. I heard Bob was going to be signing at a card show last year near my house so I decided to go see him since I'm a big fan of his and wanted to meet such a legendary player like himself in person.

I get to the show and it's SMALL - there are only about 20 tables set up and not many people getting Mr. Feller's autograph. I wound up paying for the autograph (without inscription) and bring up a copy of his autobiography for him to sign since I already have a signed ball and HOF plaques. Mr. Feller shakes my hand, signs my book and inscribes his HOF Induction year without being asked and I proceed to ask him a question about one of his playing experiences and for about 5 minutes he tells me a story about playing minor league ball as a 16 year old and striking out 18 batters. I told him I really admired him and was a big fan and he was just a gracious man. If only today's ballplayers were more like Bob Feller!

frikativ54
07-05-2008, 02:22 AM
Mr. Feller shakes my hand, signs my book and inscribes his HOF Induction year without being asked. ...I told him I really admired him and was a big fan and he was just a gracious man. If only today's ballplayers were more like Bob Feller!

I find it especially interesting that you mention his signing the inscription "without being asked." Am I the only one who finds it troubling that today's athletes aren't even willing to take the time to put an inscription on a ball, without having to take an extra ten dollars? I love the way the same players who make people personalize everything somehow don't have time for taking pictures. A big reason why I didn't attend the TriStar show in Houston is because athletes are so entitled that they charge a fee for signing, for personalizing, for a picture, et cetera. Makes me hearken back to the days where you could get a free photo with an athlete. Glad you had an awesome experience with Bob Feller.

both-teams-played-hard
07-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Makes me hearken back to the days where you could get a free photo with an athlete.

I've still never paid for an autograph or photo.
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/7087/meandjordan222jc6.jpg
This photo was taken 23 years ago this month. Got 3 autographs that day in Apex, NC. Got the original of this print signed in 1990. No charge. Crockett and Tubbs would be proud!

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/2227/mick1985cq1fv6.jpg
Taken in the Fall of 1985. Got 3 autographs and a photo, no charge.

I'm all growns up now, and don't ask for autographs unless they're on a paycheck.

loumud
07-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Roger Clemens.

I volunteered work a United Way golf tornament in Houston back in high school in the early 90s. I didn't know ahead of time that there were going to be some pro athletes there, or I would have come prepared. I soon learned that Roger Clemens and Doug Drabek were there, and I was upset for not having brought anything for them to sign. Later on we were setting up a banquet room for a dinner and silent auction, and I had to run out to my car to grab something. Low and behold Clemens and Drabek were sitting by themselves in a cart off to the side having a beer and laughing with each other. I ran back in and scrambled to find some things for them to sign, and was able to scrounge up a couple of golf balls and 2 index cards with a black sharpie.

I humbly approached the cart with a smile and politely asked if they would be kind enough to autograph my items. Roger's mood noticeably changed, and his face turned beet red. He rolled his eyes and held out his hand to me gesturing for the items. He signed a golf ball and the index card and handing it back to me abruptly. I then asked Doug if he would be kind enough to sign, and he gave me a big smile taking my items and chatting it up with me as he signed. When he was done I thanked both of them for their time and walked off with my prizes. I was amazed at how rude and snobby Roger came off, especially since he was one of my favorite players at the time; and, especialy considering how genuinely nice Doug Drabek was to me in the same setting.

I have run into Roger several times in person since then, and have never witnessed him being nice to fans, unless of course there's a camera around. However, I don't hold anything against him. Sure he and other athletes with unsavory reputations could be a little nicer to fans in person, but I don't take any of it personal. I think if you're going to undertake the hobby of collecting autographs in person you have to grow some thick skin. I've seen players be great one day, and be total jerks the very next day. I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day, it's just that some seem to have more of them then others!

Regardless of how a player reacts to me in person, I am always polite and thank them for their time anyway even if I don't walk away with an autograph. It's the 'thrill of the hunt' that keeps me going. That's reason enough to collect for me!

mvandor
07-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Roger Clemens.

I volunteered work a United Way golf tornament in Houston back in high school in the early 90s. I didn't know ahead of time that there were going to be some pro athletes there, or I would have come prepared. I soon learned that Roger Clemens and Doug Drabek were there, and I was upset for not having brought anything for them to sign. Later on we were setting up a banquet room for a dinner and silent auction, and I had to run out to my car to grab something. Low and behold Clemens and Drabek were sitting by themselves in a cart off to the side having a beer and laughing with each other. I ran back in and scrambled to find some things for them to sign, and was able to scrounge up a couple of golf balls and 2 index cards with a black sharpie.

I humbly approached the cart with a smile and politely asked if they would be kind enough to autograph my items. Roger's mood noticeably changed, and his face turned beet red. He rolled his eyes and held out his hand to me gesturing for the items. He signed a golf ball and the index card and handing it back to me abruptly. I then asked Doug if he would be kind enough to sign, and he gave me a big smile taking my items and chatting it up with me as he signed. When he was done I thanked both of them for their time and walked off with my prizes. I was amazed at how rude and snobby Roger came off, especially since he was one of my favorite players at the time; and, especialy considering how genuinely nice Doug Drabek was to me in the same setting.

I have run into Roger several times in person since then, and have never witnessed him being nice to fans, unless of course there's a camera around. However, I don't hold anything against him. Sure he and other athletes with unsavory reputations could be a little nicer to fans in person, but I don't take any of it personal. I think if you're going to undertake the hobby of collecting autographs in person you have to grow some thick skin. I've seen players be great one day, and be total jerks the very next day. I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day, it's just that some seem to have more of them then others!

Regardless of how a player reacts to me in person, I am always polite and thank them for their time anyway even if I don't walk away with an autograph. It's the 'thrill of the hunt' that keeps me going. That's reason enough to collect for me!

I accept players have bad days, but when you say you saw him multiple times and he only turned it on when cameras were present, that spells horse's ass to me.

Nice to see karma catching up with ole Rog.

loumud
07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I accept players have bad days, but when you say you saw him multiple times and he only turned it on when cameras were present, that spells horse's ass to me.

Nice to see karma catching up with ole Rog.

I completely agree with you, mvandor! I didn't mean to infer that he was a nice person just having a bad day. Roger's never been nice to fans out in public that I've witnessed or heard of, unless he was at an organized paid signing or something. Some people might have had different experiences with him, but this is what I've seen. I collected Roger throughout the years because I respected his talent and achievements, not because I thought he was a nice person. The events over the past year or so have been very unfortunate for Clemens collectors like myself, but it's like you said - it's probably karma coming back to him!

hblakewolf
07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I completely agree with you, mvandor! I didn't mean to infer that he was a nice person just having a bad day. Roger's never been nice to fans out in public that I've witnessed or heard of, unless he was at an organized paid signing or something. Some people might have had different experiences with him, but this is what I've seen. I collected Roger throughout the years because I respected his talent and achievements, not because I thought he was a nice person. The events over the past year or so have been very unfortunate for Clemens collectors like myself, but it's like you said - it's probably karma coming back to him!

I attended several of the New York Sports Writers Award Dinners in the past ($200.00 a plate award dinner), and Clemens was there. At one of these events, I was standing near the stage when he came down to speak with his wife. There could not have been more than a handful of people near him, so I asked him to sign his game worn Yankees jersey I had with me. He took one look, snarleed his face and shook his head to basically motion "you have to be kidding". Likewise, he literally pushed away those folks who had pen/paper/baseball card extended for him to sign.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

godwulf
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
The more I hear stories about athletes and other celebs who are really very bad signers, or who never seem to get tired of being asked for their autograph, the more interested I become in the psychology of the thing.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the guy is a Hall of Famer or some second-string catcher in double-A ball, you get some of one persuasion and some of the other.

I think that anyone with half a brain can understand how somebody would get "edgy", at the very least, if a fan strolled up to their restaurant table or otherwise interrupted them at an inconvenient time...but with some of these guys, it doesn't matter when you approach them.

On the flip side, Dan Carlson was the pitching coach for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League a couple of years ago, and I wanted to get him to sign one of his old Phoenix Firebirds caps. After the game, he had a long conversation with a lady who was obviously his wife, through the netting behind the plate, and I waited patiently about twenty feet away. After they'd parted, I went down and asked him to sign the cap, and he was very nice, and made a point of saying, "Thanks for waiting."

shirkr
07-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not much of a story teller but I thought you might enjoy this. Back in the early 90's my parents were season ticket holders for the KC Royals. Therefore I attended my fair share of Royals games (I was 15 or 16 at the time). I got used to the routine of the bigger named players parking in the tunnel in centerfield. One night a friend and I were waiting outside the centerfield gate when Storm Davis popped out and jumps into his brand new Mazda Miata (sp?). He signed a few cards for me at the time and drove off. About 5 minutes after he signed my cards we heard/saw this car come screaching and speeding through the parking lot and it's headed directly towards us. It was Storm and he was pissed! Jumps out of his car and confronts us both about someone spitting on his car. We both were stunned with the deer in the headlights look. We had no idea what he was babbling about. He went on to tell us about how he was going to give this car to his kids...blah blah blah. Anyways, wasn't us Storm...sorry. Story over.

Ryan

both-teams-played-hard
07-13-2008, 01:15 PM
One night a friend and I were waiting outside the centerfield gate when Storm Davis popped out and jumps into his brand new Mazda Miata (sp?). He signed a few cards for me at the time and drove off. About 5 minutes after he signed my cards we heard/saw this car come screaching and speeding through the parking lot and it's headed directly towards us. It was Storm and he was pissed! Jumps out of his car and confronts us both about someone spitting on his car. We both were stunned with the deer in the headlights look. We had no idea what he was babbling about. He went on to tell us about how he was going to give this car to his kids...blah blah blah. Anyways, wasn't us Storm...sorry. Story over.

A grown man named Storm driving a Miata. Wonder if he would get mad if I spit in his Zima? Tough guy.

both-teams-played-hard
07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
A grown man named Storm driving a Miata. Wonder if he would get mad if I spit in his Zima? Tough guy.
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8765/stormliberacemiatavh7.jpg

Jayworld
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
My best experiences:
In the summer of 1987, one of the officials on my Dad's crew (he was an SWC official for many years) worked for The Equitable, which used to sponsor "Old Timers" games at major league ballparks (remember those)? This was in Arlington, and I had the privilege, along with my dad, to attend a meet and greet session at the Sheraton hotel (was next to the old Arlington Stadium) with many of the players that were playing in the Old Timers game, then go on the field for pre-game batting practice, and finally another meet and greet at the hotel after the game. So many of the old timers were very gracious and full of stories.

Among the best: Al Oliver, Ernie Banks, Ralph Branca, Bob Feller, Warren Spahn (a very nice man who loved to tell stories), Bob Gibson, Bill Stein (who played for Texas at the time as a pinch-hitter), Alvin Dark. Bobby Valentine, then the Rangers manager, was particularly nice and posed for pictures on the field.

So-so: Johnny Mize was not particularly friendly, but he did sign.

The worst: Willie Mays, who did not show up for either meet and greets (although he was required by contract), nor did he sign on the field, etc.

Very recently, I've attended Frisco Roughriders games, and the manager of the visiting San Antonio Missions is Terry Kennedy, one of my favorite former Padres players. He is very gracious, and has signed four cards, a 1981 yearbook, and a ball for both my son and I. He likes to chat, and he even knew the year of the yearbook without seeing the cover just from the photos inside.

Jay

justinwc80
12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm a little biased but I'll give a run down of my best experiences:

Pete Rose: although you have to pay he makes it worth the money by posing for pictures and taking time to talk to you. He is a very personable guy and a pleasure to meet.

Sean Casey: not many nicer guys than the "Mayor" he treats the fans like I wish every ballplayer would.

Walt Jocketty: at a recent Reds signature event I was able to talk to Walt for about ten minutes without interruption, he was a very nice guy and answered mine and others questions about the team very honestly.

Jay Bruce: at the same event I brought a picture I had taken with Jay after throwing out the first pitch at an earlier game, we were not supposed to get additional items signed but when I pulled out the pictures his face lit up and we talked for quite awhile, although the line backed up a bit. He is a great kid especially considering how young and talented he is.

The Reds in general seem to have the right attitude towards fans. I love to get to games early and it seems there is always at least one or two Reds at a time signing home and away. In Houston I counted at least 6 players for the Reds that signed autos and only one Astro. They may not be making the playoffs lately but when it comes to personalities I'll take them over anyone else.

capitalssticks
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I had a great run in with Peter Bondra while playing with the capitals. Bondra would always sign autos (very nicely i might add) for everyone, but when he was ever approached with one of his game used sticks his mood would quickly change. Bondra put alot of work into each of his sticks, shaving, molding, taping etc. Anytime you approached him with one, he would ask "where did you get my stick" and whatever your answer would be he would say "your lying your lying" so one day i try to get a gamer signed same thing, as i pointed out a microscopic crack on the blade, he rips the stick out of my hands and says "you wanna see a crack" and breaks the blade in half and throws the stick. I was speechless, cause bondra was always pretty cool, realizing what he did was wrong he says wait here and goes into the locker room and gets another stick and gives it to me and says "its not right what they do, selling my stuff"(talking about then equipment manager sluggo) at that point i realized his anger was more at them and not me. So then i ask him to sign that stick he declined :) Worked out for me though because i ended up putting the broken one back together and selling them both :)

jbsportstuff
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Best Experience : Adam Rosales - He loves the game and loves the fans. I just wish that he were a better ballplayer so that he could stick with the Reds and not be sent back to the minors.

Worst Experience - No question..... Oscar Robertson...the guy was just nasty and asked that no one take pictures with him or of him. He told someone that he owned every picture that was taken of him since he "owned" his likeness. Whatever..... I'm from Indiana...and it was just a sad moment in Hoosier basketball history for him to act like that.

tcfor3
12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Two stories. One bad. One good.
WORST - Ken Griffey Jr.

I am a professional photographer and have covered pro sports for nearly 20 years. About 1997, I was at a Mariners and Indians game in Cleveland and Ken Griffey Jr. was obviously on my shot list. He didn't take BP on the field and only came out for the game about three minutes before the start. I was stationed on the warning track area at the west end of the visitor's dugout near homeplate at Jacob's Field. Griffey emerges from the tunnel and upon seeing that there are photographers waiting to take his photo, he walks to the bat rack near us without looking up. He went to the other end of the dugout to get a some water. When he turned around and looked up, I snapped 3-4 images of him from about 50 feet away and was turning to get some shots of the Indians' starting pitcher. Griffey proceeds to walk the length of the dugout cussing me, and me only, out the whole way for taking his picture. A photographer who was standing near me got some great shots of Griffey in full rage. I looked at Joey Cora who was on the steps of the dugout near me and he rolled his eyes and said "What an @@@hole."
Griffey went 0-4 that night and the Indians won.

BEST - Don Mattingly
When Mattingly was in his first year in the minors with the Oneonta Yankees, my brother and I, we were sophomores in high school, went to a playoff game between the Yankees and Geneva Cubs for the NY-Penn League Championship at Geneva's ballpark which was 15 miles from our house. My brother had an official American League ball that he wanted to have the Yankees sign. Mickey Vernon was a scout with the Yankees and he was there to evaulate the team's players. He signed the ball on the sweetspot but left room for the manager, Art Mazmanian, to sign. A player emerged from the Yankees dugout and we asked for his autograph. It was Don Mattingly. He signed and talked with us for a few minutes. We explained that we wanted to get the ball signed by as many players and coaches as possible, but several pitchers were already in the bullpen and we weren't allowed near there to ask them. Also batting practice was over and most of the players were in the clubhouse. Mattingly said "I"ll be right back" he took the ball to the bullpen and had each player sign it. When he returned, he said "Wait here." He walked into the clubhouse and had each player and coach in the clubhouse sign the ball before returning it to us.
Mattingly hit a home run that night to win the game and my brother and I have been fan's of his ever since.
My brother still has that baseball and the newspaper clipping from the game.

gingi79
12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I posted in a previous thread about why I hate the Mets and why I'm glad Dykstra is going to prison soon but I was reminded recently of another sports encounter worth repeating.

When I was in my teens and early 20's I went to every sports card and collectible show I could. Most of the time the little ones would have local sports heros or second string local guys. I remember meeting Bob Nystrom and seeing Joe McEwing signing for hours, for free with a smile on their faces just happy to talk sports. Even at the big shows, Dan Marino, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders all took the time to smile and say thanks.

But I lost my love of collecting autographs when I became a Teen Travel Camp counselor in 2005. I had ONE Camper who was just an autograph hound. His whole mission in life was collecting signed papers, programs, balls, napkins whatever. He just loved collecting autographed stuff, the thrill of the hunt. Over the next 3 summers, we went to Shea for the Mets, Yankee Stadium, Jacobs Field, The Skydome, Oriole Park and several minor league stadiums as well. Without fail, I had poor experiences with athletes at every one of these venues. We were always wearing a jersey/hat/ camp shirt and it was one 12 year old child. Keep that in mind when you hear these.
The short list:

The batting instructor for the Blue Jays, Mickey Brantley, refused to sign his softball because (as he said to his cousins in earshot of my poor camper) "I ain't signing for that honkey brat"

The Yankees on game day wouldn't come anywhere near anyone. Thank you Brandon Steiner, another great fan friendly idea in convincing players not to sign for free when he can overpay them and charge fans $350 to $500 for scribbled single signed balls! I hear they sign in out of town parks rarely but FU Yankee fans who pay $2500 for one seat at home!

David Wright signed every game EXCEPT when we went. Without fail. Ditto Jose Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wagner. Schoenweis signed, a couple and walked off. Once again, big fat zero for the camper. Now it's impossible to even get close without the correct tickets. Did I mention I hate the Mets?

We couldn't get close to the field at Oriole Park or Jacobs but admittedly, we didn't arrive all that early.

The minor league parks were ok but he still got snubbed a few times.

Understandably, I was tired of 3 straight summers of watching one of my favorite campers face look so heartbroken. I had enough and during my last summer, I decided I was going to have someone else try and take him down for autographs at Shea. I told him I thought I was bad luck and sent him with someone else.

Wouldn't you know it! He got two autographs! Of course the Mets told him to screw off but two of my favorite actors, John Travolta and Robin Williams were at the game with their kids. They both signed FOR EVERYONE. My biggest regret as a counselor of 6 summers, was not going down with him that last time.

I blame the Mets! :D

coxfan
12-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Someone mentioned Bill Stein, who set the AL record for consecutive pinch-hits. When he became a minor-league manager, he continued to be good about signing. I got his autograph on the same bat with Jack Fisher, the pitching coach. Fisher has the dubious distinction of throwing two of the most famous HR's ever: Ted Williams' last HR, and Roger Maris's 60th. Fisher seemed surprised to be asked, but signed graciously though wordlessly.

MikeM
12-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Not really an autograph story, but growing up in Oakland, one time when I was a kid (maybe 10?) my friend and I saw Al Davis on Lakeshore Ave. He was in front of us by maybe 15ft with a few guys and we tried to get his attention. We happily said things like "Mr. Davis!" and "Hey Al!" and he ignored us completely.

So when it looked like he was going to walk away completely, my friend said, "Al Davis you're my hero!!!"

After that, he stopped, waited for us to catch up a bit, pulled down his shades and said, "I know kid...I know."

Then he walked on his way.

True story.

godwulf
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Jeff Banister was the skipper for the Scottsdale Scorpions in this year's Arizona Fall League. On several occasions, before a game, I asked him to sign a card or two - he was a catcher, and then a manager, in the minors for a number of years - and he was always happy to do so, putting a really beautiful signature on each card. The last time I saw him, I said, "This is the last time I'll be bugging you", to which he responded, "You're not bugging me. Someday you won't even want these things", meaning the cards. I assured him that was not going to happen.

gdgyankees
12-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I was 8 yrs old and i was in the mets dugout before a spring training game, hanging out and talking to players, and i asked Mike Piazza for his autograph, he said, "sure, one sec. let me just get something." he walked away and never came back

jobathenut
12-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Oh i love this thread,thanks for starting this.As i want to tell this story.By far TERRY "the phony" bradshaw.Me and my girlfriend went to the steelers super bowl reunion show that hot corner sports (the best in steelers items) had in 1999 in pittsburgh.And i was excited as it was a steeler dreamland for me.With all those past steelers there and i had never met any of them.I could'nt afford to get autographs from all of them so i picked the ones i wanted the most.And unforgently bradshaw was one of them.As everyone else was great-swann (even though he complained that i was taking more than one picture of him signing) jack ham,rocky blier (who my girlfriend was flirting with but what was i going to do about it),coach noll,joe greene (was'nt there and i really wanted to meet him.But what a class act as he left my signed helmet for me as he came in the week before it).And then i got to meet my two heros-mike webster and jack lambert.And mr.webster almost made me cry seeing him like that,and as my girlfriend took my picture standing by him he said "wait i'll get up and take a picture" and i told him,"no,thats fine,you don't have to stand up for me".And lambert was the best and i was shaking the whole time just looking at him.Anyway,then came bradshaw,i sent my girlfriend up there as i wanted her to feel part of it so i had go up there for everyone but webster and lambert.And it was'nt bad enough that bradshaw would'nt take a picture with her as all the others did.This arrogent "bad word" would'nt even acknowledge her as he had his back turned to her talking to the people behind him.And then his handler tapped him on the shoulder and sandy said hi and he said nothing to her and before she could say to make it out to me (as she was going to,as we did with all the others that we got signed) ,he just turned around a little and reached back with his arm and signed the picture.Never stopped talking to his friends.Not even facing her and never once even looking at her.And as sandy said thanks to him he just then turn back around and continue talking.And i just lost it and said,Yeah don't even say hi or thanks, that's nice,"I can't believe that,that's nice to treat your fans with that respect"-"hey hollywood too big to be considerate to your fans".I mean if you don't want to talk to your fans then don't do a public signing.And of course security came over to me.And said what's the problem.I said his ego is,he thinks he is terry bradshaw or something.And even the security laughed at it.And we were not the only ones who he did that to as he did that the whole time we were standing in line and even after it he continued to be like that.And right at his time to end,he left the table with still alot of people in line.We were in another section of the convention center when i heard people talking and i asked what was going on and they told me there is a situation going by the tables.And i said let me guess,bradshaw's and the guys said yes.That i guess alot of people are pissed as he left without signing thier items.And it's fun y cause lambert i guess stayed a extra 2 hours making sure all in line got thier item signed.I guess that's what seperates class from well you know.Sorry so long of a story.

coreystack
07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Clete Boyer

As an initial disclaimer, I witnessed Mr. Boyer be cordial and polite with literally thousands of people over the course of a summer and wish him no ill will.

I worked in a card/memorabilia shop for a couple summers in Cooperstown (where I'm from). Clete Boyer was allowed to set up a table and sell 8x10's for $10 or $20 a pop in the back. Growing up in Cooperstown you get a little immune to old-timer stars and Clete didn't really register on my radar. But all summer myself and the other kids working really sucked up to him, because if he asked us to fetch him an ice tea or cigarettes from across the street we could turn it into a thirty minute break. And he was a Yankee after all.

At the end of the summer I went back and asked him to sign a photo for me. It wasn't that I really wanted a Clete Boyer 8x10, but I figured, he I spent a summer in a tiny shop with this guy and ran countless errands for him. I can find room in my collection for a photo. He asked me my name and charged me full price. In contrast, Joe Pepitone spent one afternoon in the shop, bought us lunch, and knew everyones name before he left (there were only 3 of us).

Misha
07-08-2014, 08:10 AM
I guess there's an advantage to being a female. I went to a free signing with Ronnie Lott in the late 80’s and noticed his SB ring. He took it off and let me hold it while he signed my ball.

In 1994, Montana and the Chiefs came to Tokyo for the American Bowl. The day before was a FanFest and I had a field pass. I had brought an official ball and marker to try to get Joe's auto, but the Japanese security was surrounding him and telling me no autos for anyone. I yelled out to Joe that I was from the Bay Area and could I please get his autograph. He turned around and motioned for me to come over. I proudly walked through the 4-5 rings of security guys who had told me it was impossible and Joe signed my ball. Loved it!

godwulf
07-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Last year I paid a small fortune on signing tickets for Gerardo Parra - I had so many items that the promoter gave me my own table to put them on, and sent Parra over to sign my stuff before he sat down to sign for everybody else. I had, I think, eight of his bats, from various points in his career, and I was looking forward to talking about them with him, along with three jerseys, numerous photos, etc. He walked up to the table talking on his cellphone and STAYED on his phone for the entire time that he was signing. He had one of his buddies snap a photo of one of my bats - the one with "El Yolo" instead of his name - and I couldn't even ask him why. THAT was pretty frustrating.

TwinLakesPark
03-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Bump, just because I love Howard's Kirk Gibson story.

I would also suggest reinstating Howard to the forum, considering there has been a wave of reinstatements recently!

godwulf
03-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks for giving this thread a bump. I enjoyed reading Howard's Gibson helmet story again, and re-living my own encounter with the Big Unit.

godwulf
03-18-2015, 12:01 PM
I was just looking at the photos I posted with that story - the links still work! - and had a funny idea. I should take my print of the second one, the one where I'm looking at the bat like WTF?, and ask Randy to sign it - even if I had to pay a hundred+ bucks at a paid event. It would be worth it to see his reaction...and whether he'd turn the picture over and sign the back.

TigersCubs84
03-18-2015, 07:37 PM
That Randy Johnson story and pics are priceless! Plus the link still works. LOL! Logged on just to say thanks for those posts! Just classic stuff.

IronPigs92
03-18-2015, 09:55 PM
I don't have a bad one, but back in 2009 when Pedro Martinez was working his way up to the Phillies, he stopped and played for the ironpigs. He had a bullpen session, and after, he walked over to the rail and I was the first to get his signature. As he was signing my card, I figured I'd ask him for his headband. He looked up and said "Do you want my DNA?" And I was like uhh and he just laughed and gave it to me. Attached is an article with his picture from the bullpen session. You can see he has a grey headband on, that I now own :)

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/ironpigs/index.ssf/2009/07/pedro_martinez_sighting_and_a.html

warheel
04-15-2015, 05:46 PM
A few years ago I noticed former 49er Dexter Carter in the waiting area for the same flight I was waiting to board. As luck would have it, I sat next to him.

When I sat down, I told him I was a fan of his, because I loved the way Pat Summerall used to say his name..he laughed, and I told him I knew a couple of his teammates while he was with the 49ers. He asked who, and when I told him, it sparked a conversation that lasted the entire flight, through the airport, all the way to the parking lot...that was a great flight! He was fun to talk with and had some great stories and didn't mind me asking all sorts of questions about his time at FSU and those great 49er teams.

bgakladd
04-21-2015, 10:59 PM
My worst experience was back in the early 1990's while at a card show in Toledo, Ohio and with several Cincinnati Reds signing autographs. Most noticeably were Tony Perez, Ken Griffey Sr., Gary Nolan and Johnny Bench. Tony Perez joked around with my kids and was fun to talk to. After about a half hour we worked our way to Johnny Bench. I gave him a baseball to sign and he signed it. I then asked if I could have a picture of him with His 1976 road gray game worn #5 Cincinnati Reds jersey I purchased thru an auction house several years before that I brought along. He reached for the jersey and quickly examined it and asked with a slight growl, "What do you mean my jersey" and "Where did you get this"? I told him thru an auction house and his face turn to a frown as he lifted it up and posed for the picture. I was kind of shocked by the way he reacted when he handed the jersey back wondering what made him upset. It wasn't for several months later when I found out what might have made him upset. I sent the jersey to 3 auction houses and every time they all sent it back with no explanation. I called one of them up asking why. They explained to me that Bench had a fire in his Cincinnati apartment and a lot of his items were pulled out for safety so they wouldn't be damaged. And as expected some were eventually stolen. And the person also said Bench's lawyer was also contacting anybody selling his equipment to contact him. I didn't know if what I had was something from that apartment or not but to this day I regret selling that jersey. It was only going for $1700 back in that day.

TBM
09-29-2015, 08:32 PM
I have to say my worst experience happened earlier this year. I took my two boys to the CWS in Omaha. Fist time any of has gone. I took them to get some autographs and play games in the fan zone area. We did not go to a game, maybe next year. Curt Schilling and Dave Winfield were both there to sign autos. Dave was also giving a hitting clinic. I was there for Curt. We were there in line at the gate an hour before it opened, then had to wait another half hour before he was to start signing. We were told he was gonna sign anything we had. That was great cause I had a ball and brought cards for my kids. They also had CWS 8x10 pictures stacked up on the table. When the wind picked up the top quarter of the stack would blow off the table and go all over the ground. They would then pick them up and stack them up to blow off again. About 10 minutes after the gate opened and we all got into line, they cut off the line. 10 minutes before he was to show up we were told that he would only sign the CWS pictures they had on the table, yea the ones that were being blown onto the ground. The time came for him to show up and start signing, and he was not there. He was late. He finally appeared about 15 minutes late, My first thought when I saw him was that he was drunk or hungover. He kept his head down, never looked up and signed those CWS 8x10s like a conveyor belt. My oldest got a picture of me getting the 8x10, its pathetic. Not the picture but that Curt had his head down signing and flinging the 8x10s onto the table. I probably could have gotten five of them, but I did not want to get killed by those other people in line. My kids and I got our 8x10 and went on to play the games. I kept an eye on the line and when I saw the last people go into the tent we went back over. They had run out of the 8x10s and a few people were lucky enough to get other things signed. I tried to get my ball signed but he walked off. He was done. It had been about 40 minutes since he was supposed to start signing. He only signed for about 20 minutes after being late. Signed all the 8x10s and left 20 minutes early. People were still there wanting to get autos on other items but he was done. I bet he still got paid for the whole hour. At least we got an auto.

On the other hand Dave Winfield not only gave a hitting clinic but also signed for everyone in line. We were among the last in line and it was about time for him to go. I think he was going to the broadcast booth for the game. He had spent time talking to everyone and taking pictures with them. That is great in my book, even if it was gonna cost me not getting his auto. As the time approached for him to go, they cut the line off in front of us and he started signing the 8x10s until everyone had one. He then left. Dave was a class act, everyone got a signed 8x10 even if they did not get to talk to him or get pictures. Those in line early did. I have no problem with that. Dave was great.

However, we got Schilled by Schilling. So sad how down hill he has gone.

steelerman_7
09-30-2015, 12:46 PM
I have enjoyed reading the various stories on here so I figured I would share a couple of my own.

Best Experiences:

2008 Ryan Malone - Penguins: A group of buddies and I went to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Red Wings. I was lucky enough to snag a single ticket from Ticketmaster, while the rest of my friends watched the big screen outside of the stadium. The Pens were down 2-1 in the series so this was basically a must win game. They ended up losing a hard fought game 2-1, which put them in a 3-1 series hole. After the game, we hung around near the players parking lot drowning our sorrows with IC Light. A majority of the players went to their cars without signing or acknowledging anyone, which I couldn't blame them after a game like that. About three hours after the game ended we saw Ryan Malone came out to get into his car. He was the last player to leave the arena. There were only a couple of people left in the parking lot at this time so we went over to see if he would be willing to sign. He ended up talking with us for a good 15 minutes about the game/series. I didn't have anything to get signed so I got a picture with him. It was really a cool experience.

2013 Clint Hurdle - Pirates: I attended the 2013 Wild Card Playoff game against the Reds, which is still THE greatest sporting event I have ever been to in person. A huge win for the Buccos. I was with a friend of my Dad's (who is a huge autograph guy), and was really hoping to get a couple autos after the game. We waited around and made our way near the team bus where the players were boarding to head to the airport and then onto St. Louis for the NLDS. Pretty much every player did not even acknowledge the screaming crowd and just boarded the bus, but Clint came over and talked with us for awhile, signed autographs, and thanked us numerous times for providing the raucous environment. It was a great end to an unforgettable evening.

Worst Experience:

1994 Rod Woodson - Steelers: I attended my first ever Steelers game with my Dad, and his friend (again big autograph guy). It was a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, I will always remember Greg Lloyd knocking Brett Favre out in the first quarter. After the game, my Dads friend was looking to get some autographs so we waited around with him near the players lot. Rod Woodson emerged, who at the time was my favorite player. I patiently waited as he signed for a couple people that were ahead of me. By this time I was near him he was just getting into his car. Keep in mind I was 8 years old at the time and this was a meaningless preseason game in which he only played a few series. I go to hand him the card I had and he looked at me and said, "If I sign yours, I am going to have to sign his and his and his. I am done" and slammed his car door. I honestly thought my Dad was going to pull him out of the car he was so mad. Haha
Needless to say I was never a fan of him since.