PDA

View Full Version : Thorp Sporting Goods-New York info?

pietraynor
01-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Anyone know/heard of Thorp Sporting Goods out of New York..Did they possibly work w/or supply items to the football Giants in the '60s? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jay.

both-teams-played-hard
01-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Thorp distributed Giants jerseys in the late 60s, maybe other years...
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2754&highlight=thorp

pietraynor
01-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the help, just what I was looking for! Jay

pietraynor
01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Follow up..How common are '60s NFL footballs w/ the Thorpe logo, "The Duke" game model w/Rozelle signature & anyone care to estimate what one would be worth? Have a lead on one in NrMt condition. No pics to post at this time..Jay

CKANE
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Anyone know/heard of Thorp Sporting Goods out of New York..Did they possibly work w/or supply items to the football Giants in the '60s? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jay.
Jay: Until the AFL/NFl merger, 1971, the NFL did not merchandise their
game balls for sale. The only way to get a game ball was to catch one
or be given one by the team. Thorp Sporting Goods was a local distributor
located on 41st street in Manhattan. They distributed the game balls.
Their name appeared on the fooball. They distributed to all teams. That is
why they are so rare. Only Bert Bell and Pete Roselle had their names on
the balls. In the 1950's, the balls were dyed white with black lettering and
stripes for night games. I know because I lived in NY and am old enough to have caught a Bert Bell Thorp ball at a Giants game at Yankee Stadium.
CKANE

sox83cubs84
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Back in the early 1960s, Chicago Ballhawk Rich Buhrke as a teen grabbed two Thorp balls while hawking on Waveland Avenue, which at the time was behind an end zone on the Bears field. And, no, he no longer has them.:(

Dave Miedema

cohibasmoker
09-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Jay,

Sand-knit made the jackets and Thorp Sporting Goods was the supplier. Here are some scans of a Giants sideline jacket that I own.

flaa1a@comcast.net[/email]

cohibasmoker
10-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Sand-Knit and Thorp supplied items to the Jets as well. These pants are from the 1969 season.