Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Best place to sign GU cap

I just did a search on the site and didn't find anything so here goes.

Is it better to get a player to sign a game used cap on the bill (blue bill) in silver sharpie or get it signed under the bill in black or blue sharpie?

Thanks
    David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.
  • ironmanfan
    • Sep 2005

Re: Best place to sign GU cap

Due to the textures involved, I've always preferred to get my game used hats signed beneath the brim (obviously, it affects the display factor).

Comment

• ShaimOnYou
      Banned
      • Jul 2014

I'd go with a white or silver paint pen on the top of the brim, but that's just me.

I think one of the main reasons you want the athlete to sign it is so it can be seen while the item is displayed. I can't imagine you'd want to display your cap upside down.

Chris

Comment

• metsbats
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the feedback Bill and Chris. Bottomline I guess it all depends on how it's going to be display. I was a bit concerned about preservation. Will the brim auto in silver sharpie last less than the auto under the brim in blue or black sharpie on wool?
        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• nevrdiez34
          • Feb 2010

I'm a big proponent of the paint pen on a dark hat. The signature really pops. I've had dozens of hats signed that way and none have even a hint of signature fading. Below is the hat I've had signed the longest time ago for reference, a Kerry Wood game used 2002 hat that was signed in 2004.
          Attached Files
          Always looking for Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field Items

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by nevrdiez34
            I'm a big proponent of the paint pen on a dark hat. The signature really pops. I've had dozens of hats signed that way and none have even a hint of signature fading. Below is the hat I've had signed the longest time ago for reference, a Kerry Wood game used 2002 hat that was signed in 2004.

Nice! thanks for posting and the info on the longevity. We went with the silver sharpie on the bill!
            metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• sportsnbikes
              • Sep 2012

Nowhere...leave it as is. In its original state!

Comment

• rufusandherschel
                • Mar 2011

I don't know if others have seen or experienced it but what I've noticed is that when game used caps are signed with a Sharpie pen under the bill/brim, there's seems to be a tendency for the signature to 'bleed' (and sometimes significantly) over time. I've always attributed this to be due to the 'oily' substance in the sweat from the scalp that works its way into the cloth fabric of the bill/brim and around the sweat band. Hence, I prefer signatures on the top/outer wool fabric of the bill/brim with a paint pen.

Comment

• Roady
                  • Jun 2012

I have always preferred it on the top of the bill.

Comment

• ShaimOnYou
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by metsbats
                    Thanks for the feedback Bill and Chris. Bottomline I guess it all depends on how it's going to be display. I was a bit concerned about preservation. Will the brim auto in silver sharpie last less than the auto under the brim in blue or black sharpie on wool?
                    If you have the athlete sign with a paint pen, you pretty much eliminate the worry of "fading". I would forget about the sharpie on a hat altogether. It doesn't contrast as nicely as a paint pen, and paint won't fade in your lifetime.

Comment

• ShaimOnYou
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by metsbats
                      Nice! thanks for posting and the info on the longevity. We went with the silver sharpie on the bill!
                      Oops, guess I was too late.

Hope it looks nice.

Chris

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

Been awhile since I attended an autograph show and I just realized based on the feedback to use silver paint pen verse silver sharpie I'll remember that for next time though I have one cap signed in silver sharpie which still looks ok. Thanks Guys!
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• metsbats
                          • Nov 2005

Here's the end result. Next time I will use a silver paint pen for caps instead of the sharpie!
                          Attached Files
                          metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• Roady
                            • Jun 2012

Looks great!

Comment

• twarman17
                              • Oct 2013

Agree, looks great! The paint pen is awesome when it works, but I've had items smear while signing or after from using a paint pen. Sharpie is a safer bet if you must get things signed (I am in the camp of not getting GU items signed).

Comment

Working...