Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bestsports
    • Sep 2014

Ray Lewis Jersey

An employee of the Ravens offered this to me for sale. He worked for the team from 1998-2006. He says that Ray Lewis gave it to him as a gift and that it's game used. I collect baseball and don't know much about Football jerseys. Can someone please give me some advice/opinions on the authenticity and value? Thank you.

• Jags Fan Dan
    • Apr 2007

Re: Ray Lewis Jersey

I am no expert on Ravens tagging or Ray Lewis jersey characteristics, but that jersey appears to show no use at all. As such, I would consider to be, at best, issued. The Jamal Lewis (I'm assuming that's him on the rear "2") signature detracts strongly from the value of the jersey in my opinion as well.

Comment

• Bestsports
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
      I am no expert on Ravens tagging or Ray Lewis jersey characteristics, but that jersey appears to show no use at all. As such, I would consider to be, at best, issued. The Jamal Lewis (I'm assuming that's him on the rear "2") signature detracts strongly from the value of the jersey in my opinion as well.
      It has grass stains.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
        • Apr 2007

In looking at photos from 2000, it doesn't look like he wore his jerseys tucked in and they were not that long:
        Attached Files

Comment

• ivo610
          • Dec 2009

Not game used by Ray lewis. Cut seems wrong. As far as I know it's the incorrect size and the collar is all wrong.
          Ryan

NFL game used collector

Comment

• Roady
            • Jun 2012

I don't know much about football jerseys but 48 seems small to me. Just looks like it would be larger than that for a guy that size.

Comment

• DeacDoug
              • Mar 2010

Football players wear extremely small jerseys so they can't be held by them.

Comment

• Roady
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by DeacDoug
                Football players wear extremely small jerseys so they can't be held by them.
                Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Comment

• Bestsports
                  • Sep 2014

Can any experts chime in?

Comment

• hilseberg
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Bestsports
                    Can any experts chime in?
                    I used to work at the shop in Baltimore that did some lettering on the jerseys for the team. Nothing in this example would lead me to believe that is was meant for Ray Lewis. Looks 100% like a team issue jersey, but not for him. He usually had multiple alterations including sleeve and waist elastic added and neck widening. Jerseys from his rookie year sometimes do not have these, but by 2000 he was clearly altering them.

Also, the middle point of the W looks off. If you look through Ravens' jerseys throughout the years, the point always comes to the top off the letter. They also appear a bit too wide. If I had to guess, I would say that this jersey found it's way to a customization shop that did a very good, but not perfect, job of lettering it.

Comment

• nickacs
                      • Apr 2009

Here's a 2000 jersey offered in a Lelands auction.
                      Interestingly that the 'W' also has the smaller middle point, and the size/tagging is different. Size 46 with +4, where your jersey is size 48 with +2? Dunno....

Comment

• bgakladd
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hilseberg
                        I used to work at the shop in Baltimore that did some lettering on the jerseys for the team. Nothing in this example would lead me to believe that is was meant for Ray Lewis. Looks 100% like a team issue jersey, but not for him. He usually had multiple alterations including sleeve and waist elastic added and neck widening. Jerseys from his rookie year sometimes do not have these, but by 2000 he was clearly altering them.

Also, the middle point of the W looks off. If you look through Ravens' jerseys throughout the years, the point always comes to the top off the letter. They also appear a bit too wide. If I had to guess, I would say that this jersey found it's way to a customization shop that did a very good, but not perfect, job of lettering it.
                        Found the font styles like you mentioned....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...