PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. 1989 - 1999 Game Used Jersey

TwinLakesPark
11-27-2014, 11:10 AM
I am looking to add a Griffey jersey to my collection from his Seattle years 89 to 99. Are there any years where there is an over supply of them or when some questionable ones surfaced during 89-99? How consistent was his sizing and tailoring during that period? Are there any particular indicators I should be looking for?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving?

sox83cubs84
11-28-2014, 09:50 PM
I am looking to add a Griffey jersey to my collection from his Seattle years 89 to 99. Are there any years where there is an over supply of them or when some questionable ones surfaced during 89-99? How consistent was his sizing and tailoring during that period? Are there any particular indicators I should be looking for?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving?

The biggest concern are the 1989 Mariners home Griffeys that were issued by Score Board. Score Board did not sell them as game used, but the secondary market, seeing the presence of professional tagging, often treated and offered them as if they were. The biggest telltale sign is the Rawlings tag. The 1989 jerseys had a 1990-91 style manufacture tag (3 lines of laundry instructions instead of 5). Most of these are found in autographed form, as well.

Anything that was sourced from Coast to Coast Sports or Mill Creek Sports is generally accepted as genuine in the hobby, as both companies worked directly with Griffey.

Dave Miedema