PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Allen Jersey...Need Your Help!

DoctorLoomis
12-01-2014, 06:42 PM
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1981-MARCUS-ALLEN-USC-TROJANS-(HEISMAN-TROPHY-SEAS-LOT29882.aspx

Guys, Im very interested in this 1981 Marcus Allen gamer. Im actually having Marcus look at the auction himself as I write this to give his opinion. This being said, I have issues with this jersey and I need any help you guys may have. First, I have located SEVERAL so called 1981 game worn Marcus Allen maroon jerseys. Common sense tells us this is a major problem. Here they are......

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2014/07/06/marcus-allen-jersey/?doing_wp_cron=1417476787.3592920303344726562500

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/marcus-allen-1981-usc-trojans-game-used-jersey-lot128880.aspx

http://bidami.com/Auctions/AuctionItem?AuctionId=31800&t=&p=0

Also, I just got off the phone with the equipment guys at USC and they told me that one of Marcus's 1981 maroon gamers is on display at USC right now. Boys, that makes FIVE 1981 Marcus Allen gamers. Common sense tells us that Marcus was not given 5 jerseys that season. Further, after a lengthy phone chat with SCP Auctions, I was told the wear on the Allen jersey is light. All of the photos of Marcus Ive seen from 1981 show his jerseys as being pounded. All of this evidence concerns me greatly thus why I need any help you guys may have. I know the SCP jersey has the LOA from USC, but we all know what an LOA is worth. All opinions on this welcome..........

Firststringer
12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Multiple USC items in the current SCP Auction were misidentified, if not misrepresented, and as a result an unusual number of lots have been pulled (in my opinion several other lots are questionable). I'm not necessarily suggesting a problem with the Allen jersey just saying buyer beware because the USC LOA isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

bgakladd
12-02-2014, 01:15 AM
DoctorLoomis.....About a year ago I received a call from Bob Case, (International Boxing Assoc. VP), he has the huge USC game worn collection. He explained to me what to look for in a game worn Marcus Allen USC jersey, and he has one by the way. He wore 3 different brands in his four years. Rawlings, Goodman&Sons and I believe the 3rd was Russell. Some had crotch pieces on them too. I don't believe that any of those four auction listings were ever worn by Allen. The tagging and numerical font on them give them away. They should have a perfect square look inside the numerical font and wash in 120 degree water on the tagging, on the Goodman & Son. I have Bob's phone number if you want to talk to him about Allen game worn jersey's in question. Contact me if you want, bgakladd@aol.com

DoctorLoomis
12-02-2014, 02:11 AM
DoctorLoomis.....About a year ago I received a call from Bob Case, (International Boxing Assoc. VP), he has the huge USC game worn collection. He explained to me what to look for in a game worn Marcus Allen USC jersey, and he has one by the way. He wore 3 different brands in his four years. Rawlings, Goodman&Sons and I believe the 3rd was Russell. Some had crotch pieces on them too. I don't believe that any of those four auction listings were ever worn by Allen. The tagging and numerical font on them give them away. They should have a perfect square look inside the numerical font and wash in 120 degree water on the tagging, on the Goodman & Son. I have Bob's phone number if you want to talk to him about Allen game worn jersey's in question. Contact me if you want, bgakladd@aol.com

Thank you so much my friend....I just emailed you.

DoctorLoomis
12-02-2014, 02:20 AM
Guys, I just read an archived MEARS article on Goodman tagging for USC jerseys specifically. I have attached a screen shot of that article. Further, I have attached a photo of the tagging on the Allen jersey that I WAS going to bid on. In the MEARS article it says that "wash in lukewarm water" was found on Goodman tagging beginning in 1982. Prior to 1982 it should read "wash in 120 degree water". Well as you can clearly see, this supposed 1981 tag reads wash in lukewarm. If MEARS is correct then this tagging absolutely IMPEACHES this jersey and ALL of the other supposed 1981 Allen jerseys above. IMO, all collectors should read this carefully as this could be a huge deal in our industry.

bgakladd
12-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Doctor...got your email. Feel free to call. Barry

beachpetrol
12-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Here's a 1981 SI with Allen on the cover. I do see a glaring problem with the SCP jersey. Does anyone know if he wore multiple jerseys during the season?

http://usctrojans.com/blog/Marcus-Allen-SI-Cover.jpg

DoctorLoomis
12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
The SI cover photo completely impeaches the offered jersey.

bgakladd
12-03-2014, 12:03 AM
DoctorLoomis...here are a couple of snapshots I have from the 1981 USC and Washington State Cougars game. Back side and front views of Marcus Allen's jersey for you to look at. The photo SCP shows is the same game as my snapshots.

xsentrixsupra
12-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Thank you Barry for the info on some of the other USC jerseys available!

bgakladd
12-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Thank you Barry for the info on some of the other USC jerseys available!

Your welcome.

bgakladd
12-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Here's a 1981 SI with Allen on the cover. I do see a glaring problem with the SCP jersey. Does anyone know if he wore multiple jerseys during the season?

http://usctrojans.com/blog/Marcus-Allen-SI-Cover.jpg

Looks like the USC "Allen" auction jersey is still going strong...here are pics to compare 1981 games. You decide. Compare SCP jersey to 1981 game pics. I found all home games but one, the Stanford game. Notice the extra Cardinal color sleeve length under the stripes on the sleeves. Other home games are against Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arizona, Stanford (No Pics), Washington St., UCLA, and the Fiesta Bowl against Penn St. A lot of money being put into this one.

DoctorLoomis
12-06-2014, 02:14 PM
SCP Auctions was notified via phone conversation the Allen jersey is no good. Yet, the auction continues. Sad.

nickacs
12-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Uggg, so sad to hear Dr...

While it seems you guys have proved the jersey not game worn for that year (or at all), what else besides the thicker yellow band on the arms/tagging shows signs of bad jersey?
Just wondering for my own sanity, if I've missed seeing something else so obvious.

Thanks for everyone's great work! :) Too bad some poor sucker is going to spend thousands on a fakie

nickacs
12-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Grr, no edit!!!

I mean the SCP jersey has thinner gold band on arm sleeves vs. game/photos pics where it shows as thicker

bgakladd
12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Something to think about when all these 1981 "Marcus Allen" USC jerseys (Size 46 wash in lukewarm water tagging) cardinal color version and road white version that started popping up in 2006-2008 auctions houses then this started appearing on ball cards in 2007-2008.

bgakladd
12-11-2014, 12:18 AM
DoctorLoomis....found something for you. The tagging if I'm seeing right in the photo shows Marcus Allen's tagging for his 1981 road white jersey to be a Russell tag down near the trophy display. I didn't know if you got to Luxor to check it out when we talked on the phone last week. Also a pic of a similar Russell tag from a game worn USC jersey from the same time period..

bgakladd
04-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Here we go again. Listed on Ebay, these Marcus Allen USC Goodman and Sons jerseys came in cardinal and white colors. They were signed and added inscription 81 Heisman in a signing by Marcus. They came with a halogram sticker on the rear or were numbered by hand on some. These were signed by Marcus in a private signing. I believe # of about a hundred something. I had both versions, sold both to a guy in Ohio. They sell in the $75-$150 Compare the back font on the numbers on the snap shot photos I showed when Dr Loomis questioned the other auction jersey. If some one can prove this jersey a game worn Allen USC jersey or photomatch it I will never make a posting on GUU again....

bgakladd
04-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Forgot to mention, the jersey is listed as game worn.

bgakladd
04-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Here is the white USC Marcus Allen version Goodman and Sons jersey from an Ebay seller who has had his listed for many years. Look at the date of his photo when these jerseys came out. Strange, now go look up those supposed Allen USC Goodman and Sons game worn jerseys sold thru auctions and the time period they were sold. Then notice the years the ball card jersey pieces started popping up.

bgakladd
04-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Forgot to mention, the jersey is listed as game worn.
Do your homework....here is the listing. They have sold quite a few of these 1981 #33 Goodman and Sons USC jerseys in auctions.

Firststringer
07-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Another USC Goodman retail/replica jersey being represented as a Marcus Allen signed '81 Heisman gamer has surfaced in the current Iconic Auction. I've written to express the problems, no action taken yet.

http://www.iconicauctions.com/1981_Marcus_Allen_Game_Worn___Signed_USC_Trojans_J-LOT65924.aspx

bgakladd
07-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Another USC Goodman retail/replica jersey being represented as a Marcus Allen signed '81 Heisman gamer has surfaced in the current Iconic Auction. I've written to express the problems, no action taken yet.

http://www.iconicauctions.com/1981_Marcus_Allen_Game_Worn___Signed_USC_Trojans_J-LOT65924.aspx
Hopefully this jersey gets pulled. Here are a few pics I found of my old home version USC Marcus Allen signed jersey with Goodman and Son size 46 tagging. Replica jerseys they are. Sad that they are being passed off as game worn. Pics are not the greatest but you get the idea on these jerseys. I didn't have any pics saved of the white version jersey I used to own.

bgakladd
07-28-2017, 02:03 PM

I sent a message to them and they told me 100% Authentic missed it completey as addressing this jersey as game worn by Marcus Allen. It has been pulled from the auction.

Firststringer
07-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Yes I had long exchange with Jeff Woolf (company president) yesterday, providing exacting details of other exemplars, photographic proof and also citing this thread as evidence - so I'm glad he did the right thing. I have significant experience with USC gamers.

DoctorLoomis
07-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Do you know of the location of any legit Marcus Allen gamer?

Firststringer
07-30-2017, 07:07 PM
I know of four from legit sources, two are in my personal collection. One made by Goodman & Sons, the other is Russell which also outfitted USC for about a 5-year period from 1976-1981. I'm not interested in selling. Marcus is an old college friend, I was part of those great Trojan teams and had unparalleled inside access.