PDA

View Full Version : Orioles MLB Postseason Issued Jerseys

thomaslynch
12-04-2014, 10:58 PM
I just received my Jonathan Schoop "game issued" postseason jersey from MLB auctions. It came in what appears to be a used condition. There is significant numeral puckering, minor pilling on the sleeves, and the wash tag is wrinkled up and appears to have gone through multiple washings. At first I thought maybe they used regular season jerseys and sewed the postseason patch to them as back ups for the playoffs. Then I realized that there was a large 60th patch above the Tom Clancy patch during the regular season and there is no evidence that this patch was ever on my jersey. Is it possible that they had some postseason jerseys that weren't able to be authenticated as game used even though they may have been? It really shows use, so I was wondering how this might be possible? I do know they just auctioned off some "game issued" batting helmets that show tons of use and I was even able to photo match to specific games through Getty - clearly game used though authenticated as game issued. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Sioux4Ever
12-05-2014, 12:14 AM
The authenticators just never witnessed the jersey coming off the players back or the helmet coming off their head so they can't for 100% say it was the same helmet from that game. It's all about what the authenticators see or don't see when it comes to how the items get authenticated.

sportsnbikes
12-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Did you try to photo match the jersey?

thomaslynch
12-06-2014, 01:03 AM
I know that the authenticators have to actually see the item being used or watch the jersey literally come of the players back to certify it as used instead of issued. I was wondering if they may have done this with all of the postseason game issued jerseys since every player has one (including Wieters and Machado who didn't play in the playoffs).

I did try to photo match it, but there aren't a lot of things to match. It is clearly a style match, but there are only a few loose threads on some of the numbers and letters that I would be able to match. Unfortunately for me there aren't a lot of high def pics of Schoop from the playoffs that would allow me to do this. I didn't know if anyone else on here bought any of the game issued Orioles postseason jerseys and saw use as well?

I will say that they wore the grey away jerseys 3 times in the postseason and the only ones that they sold as game used were only authenticated from 1 of those games (the last one on 10/15). The black ones they sold were authenticated to both games they wore those in. Didn't know if they would have worn multiple grey jerseys or not.

Oriolesfan29
12-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I have the grey Schoop jersey that was authenticated as game used to the last ALCS game. From the wear on the jersey it looks like it was just worn that game as the tag is pretty much unwashed. If it weren't for the dirt and pine tar stains on it I would say it looked more like an issued jersey. I would say chances are high he wore that jersey in the playoffs at some point.

allstarsplus
12-08-2014, 07:35 AM
There were jerseys that were supposed to be marked with a dye covertly to then authenticate them later as game used so they could be worn multiple games.

Best to try to photomatch them as noted they couldn't find the covert markings on any of them authenticated so the jerseys were sold as game issued.