Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrigley2010
    • Sep 2010

Players with over priced gamers

I know we've all thought this before... Why does his stuff sell for a premium when compared to similar players prices?

So I want to know who do you think falls in to the over priced category?

This all came about when I was trying to work a deal for an Ian Kinsler bat. A player I've always admired but never understood why his items sell for the amount they do. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but is he a superstar? I'm not so sure about that.

Anyways lets here it who do you think is over priced?
  • ctempleton
    • Sep 2013

Re: Players with over priced gamers

we had this talk over the almora bat....people are starting at the minor league level and its trending from then on....for example look at kris bryant, anything he signs, used or basically with his name on it is outrageous...he hasnt even stepped in the majors yet. dont get me wrong I think he has superstar potential but what has he proved in the majors to have superstar pricing?

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
      • Apr 2007

Current NFL stars. The stuff of many current players sells for more than HOFers stuff.

Comment

• Roady
        • Jun 2012

David Ortiz. Can't understand the premium on his items considering his PED allegations.

Comment

• carbonrosa
          • Jun 2012

I find it amazing how people are asking $3000 to $4000 for a non-graded/MLB authenticated game used Mike Trout bat. Albert Pujols has had an incredible career up to this point and definitely is going to the Hall of Fame and I paid $800 for a 2002 GU9 SAMs bat on eBay last year which I'm looking to photo match. On average common GU Pujols Bats sell for around $1500. It looks like Mike Trout sells any and everything he uses so if he has a 15 year career and has the usual ups and downs, how many items will be out there and can people honestly believe his stuff will be worth that price they are paying today?

Comment

• Roady
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by carbonrosa
            I find it amazing how people are asking $3000 to $4000 for a non-graded/MLB authenticated game used Mike Trout bat. Albert Pujols has had an incredible career up to this point and definitely is going to the Hall of Fame and I paid $800 for a 2002 GU9 SAMs bat on eBay last year which I'm looking to photo match. On average common GU Pujols Bats sell for around $1500. It looks like Mike Trout sells any and everything he uses so if he has a 15 year career and has the usual ups and downs, how many items will be out there and can people honestly believe his stuff will be worth that price they are paying today?
            I agree with you. Pujols' numbers his first three seasons are better than Trouts and he already is guaranteed HOF enshrinement.

Comment

• Phil316
              • May 2013

Andrew Jones I just don't get it.

Dontrelle Willis once again I do not get it.

Comment

• Wrigley2010
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Roady
                I agree with you. Pujols' numbers his first three seasons are better than Trouts and he already is guaranteed HOF enshrinement.
                Been a while since I looked at Albert's stat line especially his very early career numbers... Wow. You have to wonder what his stuff would sell for today if he was just breaking in to the bigs.

Originally posted by Phil316
                Andrew Jones I just don't get it.

Dontrelle Willis once again I do not get it.
                Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• DoctorLoomis
                  • Nov 2007

This isn't player specific, but NFL Auctions prices are absurd. An Eddie Lacy jersey going for $7,000??? That's Jerry Rice type money. A Jason Witten signed ball for $700???? Absolutely ridiculous. People over there are paying 2 and 3 GRAND for star player ISSUED jerseys. Total loons......
                  ALWAYS buying PHOTO MATCHED Marcus Allen and Anfernee Hardaway jerseys. Also always buying Tennessee Volunteer jerseys and anything Tony Delk.

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roady
                    Pujols' numbers in his first two seasons weren't better than Trout's. Also, Trout's first full season was a year younger than Pujols'.

Beyond that, I think the worst priced gamers have to be minor league hockey. Jerseys will sell for $1000+ for players who are highly unlikely to be future NHL stars.

Comment

• Samets
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by DoctorLoomis
                      This isn't player specific, but NFL Auctions prices are absurd. An Eddie Lacy jersey going for $7,000??? That's Jerry Rice type money. A Jason Witten signed ball for $700???? Absolutely ridiculous. People over there are paying 2 and 3 GRAND for star player ISSUED jerseys. Total loons......
                      I think people are overpaying since the money is going to be used for good rather than to line the pockets of re-sellers and speculators...

Comment

• Roady
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by danesei@yahoo.com
                        Pujols' numbers in his first two seasons weren't better than Trout's. Also, Trout's first full season was a year younger than Pujols'.

Beyond that, I think the worst priced gamers have to be minor league hockey. Jerseys will sell for $1000+ for players who are highly unlikely to be future NHL stars.
                        Yes thet were.
                        I like Trout and believe he is a special talent. But he is not as good of a hitter as Pujols was and never will be. He hit for power this year and look at his average. At least Pujols got some age on him and went through an injury before his batting average fell.

Comment

• gorilla777
                          • Aug 2009

Sure, they were at least as good on a relative basis..but also you are talking about two different types of players, different skill sets, different positions. Speed and defense do play a part during a game, as do hitting first or second in the lineup versus third or fourth.
                          And I like Albert as a player, just not a big fan of his attitude off the field and towards fans, where he and Trout are much different.

Comment

• jake33
                            • Nov 2005

In short here is my generalization for over priced gamers....

1) ROOKIES --- 80% of them are not going to even be All Stars. It is like the hype of a new player overwhelms logic.

2 NFL Running backs --- I would actually go further and say NFL jerseys in general. NFL fans are not generally into game used as much as baseball fans. NFL thrives on immediate attention and forward momentum with it's product and players. The draft alone is basically it's own season. As soon as a decent player is retied and is not a hall of famer, boom value goes down. But back to my comment on running backs... Short life spam, fantasy football helps spike short term value, but the fall off is fast and there is no minor leagues to work your way back to being a feature back.

A Doug Martin jersey for $2500?
                            Yeah... I would be lucky to get $230 my Errict Rhett Bucs gamer from the 1990's.

Comment

• gorilla777
                              • Aug 2009

Buy vintage, buy vintage, buy vintage is the point across most sports. If those numbers quoted on current NFL Auctions are true, then that is unreal.
                              And to answer the original post, I consider overpriced anything that I get outbid on at auction or can't afford, though that is just when I am carrying around sour grapes.

Comment

Working...