PDA

View Full Version : Players with over priced gamers

Wrigley2010
12-08-2014, 01:26 AM
I know we've all thought this before... Why does his stuff sell for a premium when compared to similar players prices?

So I want to know who do you think falls in to the over priced category?

This all came about when I was trying to work a deal for an Ian Kinsler bat. A player I've always admired but never understood why his items sell for the amount they do. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but is he a superstar? I'm not so sure about that.

Anyways lets here it who do you think is over priced?

ctempleton
12-08-2014, 01:24 PM
we had this talk over the almora bat....people are starting at the minor league level and its trending from then on....for example look at kris bryant, anything he signs, used or basically with his name on it is outrageous...he hasnt even stepped in the majors yet. dont get me wrong I think he has superstar potential but what has he proved in the majors to have superstar pricing?

Jags Fan Dan
12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Current NFL stars. The stuff of many current players sells for more than HOFers stuff.

Roady
12-08-2014, 09:45 PM
David Ortiz. Can't understand the premium on his items considering his PED allegations.

carbonrosa
12-08-2014, 10:12 PM
I find it amazing how people are asking $3000 to $4000 for a non-graded/MLB authenticated game used Mike Trout bat. Albert Pujols has had an incredible career up to this point and definitely is going to the Hall of Fame and I paid $800 for a 2002 GU9 SAMs bat on eBay last year which I'm looking to photo match. On average common GU Pujols Bats sell for around $1500. It looks like Mike Trout sells any and everything he uses so if he has a 15 year career and has the usual ups and downs, how many items will be out there and can people honestly believe his stuff will be worth that price they are paying today?

Roady
12-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I find it amazing how people are asking $3000 to $4000 for a non-graded/MLB authenticated game used Mike Trout bat. Albert Pujols has had an incredible career up to this point and definitely is going to the Hall of Fame and I paid $800 for a 2002 GU9 SAMs bat on eBay last year which I'm looking to photo match. On average common GU Pujols Bats sell for around $1500. It looks like Mike Trout sells any and everything he uses so if he has a 15 year career and has the usual ups and downs, how many items will be out there and can people honestly believe his stuff will be worth that price they are paying today?
I agree with you. Pujols' numbers his first three seasons are better than Trouts and he already is guaranteed HOF enshrinement.

Phil316
12-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Andrew Jones I just don't get it.

Dontrelle Willis once again I do not get it.

Wrigley2010
12-09-2014, 01:12 AM
I agree with you. Pujols' numbers his first three seasons are better than Trouts and he already is guaranteed HOF enshrinement.

Been a while since I looked at Albert's stat line especially his very early career numbers... Wow. You have to wonder what his stuff would sell for today if he was just breaking in to the bigs.

Couldn't agree more.

DoctorLoomis
12-09-2014, 02:01 AM
This isn't player specific, but NFL Auctions prices are absurd. An Eddie Lacy jersey going for $7,000??? That's Jerry Rice type money. A Jason Witten signed ball for $700???? Absolutely ridiculous. People over there are paying 2 and 3 GRAND for star player ISSUED jerseys. Total loons......

danesei@yahoo.com
12-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Pujols' numbers in his first two seasons weren't better than Trout's. Also, Trout's first full season was a year younger than Pujols'.

Beyond that, I think the worst priced gamers have to be minor league hockey. Jerseys will sell for $1000+ for players who are highly unlikely to be future NHL stars.

Samets
12-09-2014, 07:04 AM
This isn't player specific, but NFL Auctions prices are absurd. An Eddie Lacy jersey going for $7,000??? That's Jerry Rice type money. A Jason Witten signed ball for $700???? Absolutely ridiculous. People over there are paying 2 and 3 GRAND for star player ISSUED jerseys. Total loons......

I think people are overpaying since the money is going to be used for good rather than to line the pockets of re-sellers and speculators...

Roady
12-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Pujols' numbers in his first two seasons weren't better than Trout's. Also, Trout's first full season was a year younger than Pujols'.

Beyond that, I think the worst priced gamers have to be minor league hockey. Jerseys will sell for $1000+ for players who are highly unlikely to be future NHL stars.

Yes thet were.
I like Trout and believe he is a special talent. But he is not as good of a hitter as Pujols was and never will be. He hit for power this year and look at his average. At least Pujols got some age on him and went through an injury before his batting average fell.

gorilla777
12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Sure, they were at least as good on a relative basis..but also you are talking about two different types of players, different skill sets, different positions. Speed and defense do play a part during a game, as do hitting first or second in the lineup versus third or fourth.
And I like Albert as a player, just not a big fan of his attitude off the field and towards fans, where he and Trout are much different.

jake33
12-09-2014, 10:41 AM
In short here is my generalization for over priced gamers....

1) ROOKIES --- 80% of them are not going to even be All Stars. It is like the hype of a new player overwhelms logic.

2 NFL Running backs --- I would actually go further and say NFL jerseys in general. NFL fans are not generally into game used as much as baseball fans. NFL thrives on immediate attention and forward momentum with it's product and players. The draft alone is basically it's own season. As soon as a decent player is retied and is not a hall of famer, boom value goes down. But back to my comment on running backs... Short life spam, fantasy football helps spike short term value, but the fall off is fast and there is no minor leagues to work your way back to being a feature back.

A Doug Martin jersey for $2500?
Yeah... I would be lucky to get $230 my Errict Rhett Bucs gamer from the 1990's.

gorilla777
12-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Buy vintage, buy vintage, buy vintage is the point across most sports. If those numbers quoted on current NFL Auctions are true, then that is unreal.
And to answer the original post, I consider overpriced anything that I get outbid on at auction or can't afford, though that is just when I am carrying around sour grapes. :cool:

Roady
12-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Sure, they were at least as good on a relative basis..but also you are talking about two different types of players, different skill sets, different positions. Speed and defense do play a part during a game, as do hitting first or second in the lineup versus third or fourth.
And I like Albert as a player, just not a big fan of his attitude off the field and towards fans, where he and Trout are much different.
Really? That is very generious of you. I am sure Pujols is appreciative. :D

First 3 seasons
Pujols
1. .329, 37 hr, 130 RBI
2. .314, 34 hr, 127 RBI
3. .359, 43 hr, 124 RBI

Trout
1. .326, 30 hr, 83 RBI
2. .323, 27 hr, 97 RBI
3. .287, 36 hr, 111 RBI

gorilla777
12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Really? Thanks for your reply. We were talking about first two seasons. And I said relative, so you again are not counting speed and defense. And first baseman versus centerfield are different positions. You are counting three stats, well done. It's not over the line softball at the beach.:rolleyes:

Roady
12-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Really? Thanks for your reply. We were talking about first two seasons. And I said relative, so you again are not counting speed and defense. And first baseman versus centerfield are different positions. You are counting three stats, well done. It's not over the line softball at the beach.:rolleyes:
Were were actually talking about the first 3 seasons. I thought your reply about 2 was just a typo.
You can find it in the thread that I brought up 3 not 2.

Anyway, it's baseball. Everyone is not supposed to agree.

Cubsfan4life
12-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Really? That is very generious of you. I am sure Pujols is appreciative. :D

First 3 seasons
Pujols
1. .329, 37 hr, 130 RBI
2. .314, 34 hr, 127 RBI
3. .359, 43 hr, 124 RBI

Trout
1. .326, 30 hr, 83 RBI
2. .323, 27 hr, 97 RBI
3. .287, 36 hr, 111 RBI

You also have to consider the different eras as well. In 2001, 46 players hit .300 or over and 40 players hit 30 or more homers. In 2014, only 17 hit .300 and 11 hit 30 homers.

Roady
12-09-2014, 12:11 PM
You also have to consider the different eras as well. In 2001, 46 players hit .300 or over and 40 players hit 30 or more homers. In 2014, only 17 hit .300 and 11 hit 30 homers.
Oh, I considered the era. Pujols was hitting against steroid freaks.

vonbrandingo
12-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Buy vintage, buy vintage, buy vintage is the point across most sports. If those numbers quoted on current NFL Auctions are true, then that is unreal.
And to answer the original post, I consider overpriced anything that I get outbid on at auction or can't afford, though that is just when I am carrying around sour grapes. :cool:

Ben, what's considered vintage today, pre-1980?

gorilla777
12-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Ben, what's considered vintage today, pre-1980?
Hi Rod, yeah, I think that is about right. But I know some would probably push that timeline back to like pre-1970, similar to the card market cut off. It just seems to me that given the price levels GU baseball items from the 50s and even 60s have gotten to now, that some of the 70s era items are stupid cheap by comparison. Again, just my opinion, but bats/jerseys for players like Fisk, Bench, Schmidt, Carew, Brett and early Rice, Murray, Ozzie, Molitor and Yount should continue to move on up here over time.

danesei@yahoo.com
12-09-2014, 03:21 PM
First 3 seasons
Pujols, 1B
Age 21: .329, 37 hr, 130 RBI, 112 Runs, 1/4 SB, 1.013 OPS, 157 OPS+
Age 22: .314, 34 hr, 127 RBI, 118 Runs, 2/6 SB, .955 OPS, 151 OPS+
Age 23: .359, 43 hr, 124 RBI, 137 Runs, 5/6 SB, 1.106 OPS, 187 OPS+

Trout, CF
Age 20: .326, 30 hr, 83 RBI, 129 Runs, 49/54 SB, .963 OPS, 168 OPS+
Age 21: .323, 27 hr, 97 RBI, 109 Runs, 33/40 SB, .988 OPS, 179 OPS+
Age 22: .287, 36 hr, 111 RBI, 115 Runs, 16/18 SB, .939 OPS, 167 OPS+

Roady, I thought I'd help fill in some missing information for you, so everyone is seeing your side of the discussion on fair footing.

Considering the era of play goes beyond simply looking at PEDs. The game itself has changed, with 2011 representing a distinct shift back toward pitching.

In 2001, the top-five in HR totals were:

Barry Bonds 73
Sammy Sosa 64
Luis Gonzalez 57
Alex Rodriguez 52
Shawn Green 49

In 2011, the top-five in HR totals were:

Jose Bautista 43
Curtis Granderson 41
Matt Kemp 39
Mark Teixeira 39
Prince Fielder 38

Bautista's league leading 43 HRs in 2011 would have been good for 10th in 2001.

Add to the above the previously mentioned aspects of speed (incorporated into base running and defense), age and lineup, and I posit again that you can't simply say Pujols' numbers in his first three seasons were better:

Context means everything, Roady.

I don't even like Trout (strikes out WAY too much and his 2012 highlight catches make fans overvalue his actual defensive ability), but I can't say his numbers were worse (except specifically power counting stats taken out of context from the era) than Pujols for their first three seasons.

vonbrandingo
12-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi Rod, yeah, I think that is about right. But I know some would probably push that timeline back to like pre-1970, similar to the card market cut off. It just seems to me that given the price levels GU baseball items from the 50s and even 60s have gotten to now, that some of the 70s era items are stupid cheap by comparison. Again, just my opinion, but bats/jerseys for players like Fisk, Bench, Schmidt, Carew, Brett and early Rice, Murray, Ozzie, Molitor and Yount should continue to move on up here over time.

That is some good insight. Thanks.

Roady
12-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Pujols' early numbers while competing against steroid users, including pitchers, are even more impressive to me. Not sure why steroid users hitting 70 HR's makes a difference when looking at Pujols' numbers.

earlywynnfan
12-09-2014, 09:31 PM

Ben, from seeing your pickups, I find it hard to believe you get outbid very often!

ken

Nnunnari
12-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Is this a joke? You can find these guys' stuff for under $50.

Nnunnari
12-09-2014, 11:57 PM
David Ortiz. Can't understand the premium on his items considering his PED allegations.

Really? An all-time fan favorite in one of the biggest baseball markets who won three world series titles and will eventually have his number retired by the organization and you can't believe his bats sell for around $1k?

Get over the steroid thing Roady. Look at what the current Bonds bat is doing in Grey Flannel. Should people not pay a premium for Bonds and McGwire?

carbonrosa
12-10-2014, 01:10 AM
Did anyone here pay those overpriced George Springer or what's his name from the Astros, Singleton bats and jerseys when they came up on mlb auctions when they debuted? I remember seeing them go for around $6-$8000
How about Wil Myers stuff? His bats were selling for a premium when he came up and won ROY. Now everything that comes up sells for cheap.

Phil316
12-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Is this a joke? You can find these guys' stuff for under $50.

No joke and I am not talking wristbands or batting gloves I am talking jerseys.

bravesfanjd
12-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Andruw was one of the best on a Braves team that was playing on national tv every night and going to the playoffs every year so I think people don't realize the massive fan base he has and how many people want items from various 90s and 14 straight division title braves players. Factor in his success in japan and that is a huge baseball market thus why I believe he has higher prices

yanks12025
12-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Really? An all-time fan favorite in one of the biggest baseball markets who won three world series titles and will eventually have his number retired by the organization and you can't believe his bats sell for around $1k?

Get over the steroid thing Roady. Look at what the current Bonds bat is doing in Grey Flannel. Should people not pay a premium for Bonds and McGwire?

All three are cheaters and NEVER will get in the hall of fame. So yes it's supid for their items to go for that much.

Roady
12-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Love you too. :cool:
There is a reason newer members don't post much.

Roady
12-10-2014, 07:00 AM
All three are cheaters and NEVER will get in the hall of fame. So yes it's supid for their items to go for that much.
AMEN!

yanks12025
12-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Stupid**^. Damn autocorrect

helf35
12-10-2014, 10:09 AM

Pujols was an outfielder and Third Basemen his first 2 or 3 seasons I believe.

helf35
12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Andruw was one of the best on a Braves team that was playing on national tv every night and going to the playoffs every year so I think people don't realize the massive fan base he has and how many people want items from various 90s and 14 straight division title braves players. Factor in his success in japan and that is a huge baseball market thus why I believe he has higher prices

He also has a big Japan following. I sold a Sox 4th of July game used hat and a Jackie Robinson Day Jersey and I recieved a premium for both. They both shipped to Japan as well.

helf35
12-10-2014, 10:21 AM
He also has a big Japan following. I sold a Sox 4th of July game used hat and a Jackie Robinson Day Jersey and I recieved a premium for both. They both shipped to Japan as well.

2001 Pujols played in 78 OF, 52 3B, 41 1B. 2002 118 OF, 41 3B, 21 1B. 2003 113 OF 62 1B, 1 SS. I would say that is just as valuable as everyday CF.

helf35
12-10-2014, 10:25 AM
For instance there is a nice Trout helmet that would be an awesome piece to have but it has been listed about 5 different times now and hasnt sold. Perfect example of overpaing at mlb auction and not getting your return. That is also another thing I do not understand. Whay continue to pay that high reserve listing price if its never going to get over 2500? If you want to get rid of it that badly just start the auction with your reserve price.

gorilla777
12-10-2014, 10:44 AM
2001 Pujols played in 78 OF, 52 3B, 41 1B. 2002 118 OF, 41 3B, 21 1B. 2003 113 OF 62 1B, 1 SS. I would say that is just as valuable as everyday CF.

I would take an everyday CF anytime with that choice. A player can get moved around the field for a reason, as there is a difference between occupying a spot and doing it well. And speed should not be constantly overlooked, just ask the KC Royals.

gorilla777
12-10-2014, 10:47 AM
For instance there is a nice Trout helmet that would be an awesome piece to have but it has been listed about 5 different times now and hasnt sold. Perfect example of overpaing at mlb auction and not getting your return. That is also another thing I do not understand. Whay continue to pay that high reserve listing price if its never going to get over 2500? If you want to get rid of it that badly just start the auction with your reserve price.

I agree; there are items getting listed over and over again on eBay that would be better served going to auction and just letting them run.
MLB Auction prices have made me stop even looking at items over there. And given what guys posted for NFL Auction numbers at the beginning of this thread, it seems even more over-the-top with football jerseys.

gorilla777
12-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Speaking of NFL Auctions, is there a way to see prices realized as a feature anywhere on the site?
Or does anyone here have an alternative, to say look up a specific player results?

Thanks

bravesfanjd
12-10-2014, 04:01 PM
In terms of certain football players being overpriced I think what they did in college contributes I think even if jameis bombs out in the nfl fsu allumni are still going to shell out money for gamers due to what he did in college same thing with rg3 at Baylor and vince young at texas so even if they aren't great nfl players people are still going to shell out money

Roady
12-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I would say most of the outrageous pricing of rookie items in any sport has a lot to do with prospecting just like in card collecting. Collectors rolling the dice and betting on the next big thing.
Of course anyone who has collected cards can tell you that most rookie items can be picked up for much cheaper later on as collectors chase the next big thing.
Taking Mike Trout as an example, he has to play well for at least 15 years for a shot at the HOF and justified prices for his stuff. Just look at the prices Josh Hamilton items were going for a couple of years ago. Many collectors still don't understand that a few seasons of great play doesn't mean a HOF career. It takes a career to make a great player that is not just a footnote in history.

Phil316
12-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Come on kids we all have opinions. My opinion might not be that of another but who cares LOL it's mine.

We are all adults. Would be nice to see all of us guys/girls converse that way.

momen55
12-11-2014, 07:00 PM
I know we've all thought this before... Why does his stuff sell for a premium when compared to similar players prices?

So I want to know who do you think falls in to the over priced category?

This all came about when I was trying to work a deal for an Ian Kinsler bat. A player I've always admired but never understood why his items sell for the amount they do. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but is he a superstar? I'm not so sure about that.

Anyways lets here it who do you think is over priced?

it is ALL overpriced. personally, no modern, current player's stuff is worth as much as people ask, if anything really. c'mon guys. a player has one, 2 good games, seasons, and all of a sudden, he's a superstar, all star player? give me a freakin break. the hall of shame should be shut down too because there won't be anyone worthy to enter in a few years.

brovani
12-11-2014, 09:36 PM
I agree.... I'm tired of getting ripped off by auctions as well. Can anyone tell me some other reliable auction sites besides ebay to find NFL game worn jerseys?

Wrigley2010
12-12-2014, 03:01 AM
The purpose of this thread is to hear which athletes gamers my fellow collectors feel are "over valued". Why berate? Why criticize to a point it makes forum members apprehensive to post? Trust me, there are plenty of members here I could do without having to see/read their posts but instead of berating I just move on to the next thread. This whole forum would benefit if more of us started doing the same.

Back to the subject at hand. One of my favorite Prospects/Major Leaguers is Javy Baez and he certainly falls in to the over valued category and this MLB auction link is a perfect example of that. I do hope he learns to hit Major League pitching like he has done at every other level.

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?sid=1101001&auctionId=446047

G1X
12-12-2014, 05:05 PM
The purpose of this thread is to hear which athletes gamers my fellow collectors feel are "over valued". Why berate? Why criticize to a point it makes forum members apprehensive to post?

+1

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

G1X
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Current NFL stars. The stuff of many current players sells for more than HOFers stuff.

+1

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

G1X
12-12-2014, 05:10 PM
In short here is my generalization for over priced gamers....

1) ROOKIES --- 80% of them are not going to even be All Stars. It is like the hype of a new player overwhelms logic.

2 NFL Running backs --- I would actually go further and say NFL jerseys in general. NFL fans are not generally into game used as much as baseball fans. NFL thrives on immediate attention and forward momentum with it's product and players. The draft alone is basically it's own season. As soon as a decent player is retied and is not a hall of famer, boom value goes down. But back to my comment on running backs... Short life spam, fantasy football helps spike short term value, but the fall off is fast and there is no minor leagues to work your way back to being a feature back.

A Doug Martin jersey for $2500?
Yeah... I would be lucky to get $230 my Errict Rhett Bucs gamer from the 1990's.

+1

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

danesei@yahoo.com
12-12-2014, 11:36 PM

In a way, this makes sense to me.

The top QBs/RBs in today's game are having their equipment essentially confiscated from them for sale on the secondary market. In those cases that they keep their equipment, it's released to the secondary market with an understanding that it has a value. Additionally, fans who aren't necessarily collectors, may drive the prices higher, since they see their heroes play.

The positive result of this is nearly impeccable provenance. The negative result is higher starting prices.

That said, if you have a game used jersey or helmet from Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, Walter Payton, Red Grange etc, that have similar provenance (authentication directly from the player or club, as opposed to an equipment manager's assistant 40 years ago who found the helmet in the locker room after the season), you would expect to see five-figure prices at auction.

Heck, I would wager that if someone had a way to have a player authenticated (letter of provenance signed by the player who wore the item) rookie jersey of Namath or Unitas, you could even see six-figure prices.

BaseballNutz
12-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Hi forum,

I'm new here and this is my first post. My pick would be Madison Bumgarner. I am a Giants fan and I have no idea if you guys have seen what's happened to his items since this last world series, but his stuff is almost untouchable now.

Please don't get me wrong, I love MadBum. But as a fan, I won't be able to buy his stuff because of the high prices current stars go for.

If you want an example, check this out:

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=442175&pgmode1=teamsearch&pgcust1=giants&&qt[0].type=fieldmatch&qt[0].name=panname_teamname_s&qt[0].value1=giants

At time of this posting, there are two days to go in this auction. The jersey has 55 bids and sits at $13,510. If I bought that for myself for Christmas, my wife would file for immediate divorce!

I look forward to participating on this forum and sharing stories. Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone.

Dave Fall

Wrigley2010
12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Hi forum,

I'm new here and this is my first post. My pick would be Madison Bumgarner. I am a Giants fan and I have no idea if you guys have seen what's happened to his items since this last world series, but his stuff is almost untouchable now.

Please don't get me wrong, I love MadBum. But as a fan, I won't be able to buy his stuff because of the high prices current stars go for.

If you want an example, check this out:

http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=442175&pgmode1=teamsearch&pgcust1=giants&&qt[0].type=fieldmatch&qt[0].name=panname_teamname_s&qt[0].value1=giants

At time of this posting, there are two days to go in this auction. The jersey has 55 bids and sits at $13,510. If I bought that for myself for Christmas, my wife would file for immediate divorce!

I look forward to participating on this forum and sharing stories. Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone.

Dave Fall

Welcome to the forum Dave. While I agree the current price for the Bumgarner jersey is very pricey, I also feel it's hard to put a value on such a unique gamer. World Series Game 1 jersey worn by the winning pitcher who also went on to win the WS MVP, a true 1 of 1. I can stomach this price more than I can stomach someone paying a 1K for a Javy Baez gamer. Don't get me wrong I hope his gamers turn out to be this valuable and then some. Anyways, welcome aboard!

BaseballNutz
12-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Dave. While I agree the current price for the Bumgarner jersey is very pricey, I also feel it's hard to put a value on such a unique gamer. World Series Game 1 jersey worn by the winning pitcher who also went on to win the WS MVP, a true 1 of 1. I can stomach this price more than I can stomach someone paying a 1K for a Javy Baez gamer. Don't get me wrong I hope his gamers turn out to be this valuable and then some. Anyways, welcome aboard!

Thanks Wrigley2010,

I hear you and that's what makes it so painful. He's already viewed as one of the games best post-season players ever, surpassing Christy Mathewson in categories many felt would never be matched.

With 2:45 (hours) to go, the jersey has breached the $19,000 level. That's simply amazing for a current day 25 year old.

Dave

BaseballNutz
12-17-2014, 10:06 AM
MadBum's jersey went for $20,810. I'm jealous of the winner. That's a super nice World Series piece at any price from a pitcher who has elevated himself to mythical Greek God status in the postseason.

Dave

helf35
12-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Im going with my guy Jose Abreu. He was pretty amazing this year but the fact that he is 27 he will more than likely not be breaking any all time records. His stuff isnt out there yet but the jerseys on mlb auctions went for over 7K as did the bats. On ebay there are a couple of bats one was at 7K and the other is over 3K. Hes an awesome hitter but 1 year doesnt justify those prices.

Jags Fan Dan
12-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Im going with my guy Jose Abreu. He was pretty amazing this year but the fact that he is 27 he will more than likely not be breaking any all time records. His stuff isnt out there yet but the jerseys on mlb auctions went for over 7K as did the bats. On ebay there are a couple of bats one was at 7K and the other is over 3K. Hes an awesome hitter but 1 year doesnt justify those prices.

Yep, that is a good example. Wouldn't 7k get you a Pete Rose game used bat?

carbonrosa
12-17-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm a huge Derek Jeter fan, but I can't believe his last MLB out baseball sold for $24,000 on MLB auctions.

bd300
12-17-2014, 03:07 PM
I agree with Jeter. I can't believe the cost of his autograph through Steiner. I don't understand why the price is so high and there is a lot signed by him on the market. I imagine the price will come down as people lose interest in him and the demand goes down.

panthrotc
12-25-2014, 09:21 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but the REALITY is many people who pay good money for rare items of guys that did juice do not give 2 sh#ts whether that player is/ will get into in the hall of fame . So since an item is rare for that player , just because he did roids that item can't go for premium money ??

Your comment is uneducated and bad generalization of the way prices are determined. I've collected mcgwire since 89'. Never mattered to me whether he ever got in. Nor would I ever care of what was in his body. Rare items of a player will always be desired regardless. Those "tainted" guys still have MANY rabid collectors that still will pay for Rare premium item.

skyking26
12-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the REALITY is many people who pay good money for rare items of guys that did juice do not give 2 sh#ts whether that player is/ will get into in the hall of fame . So since an item is rare for that player , just because he did roids that item can't go for premium money ??

Your comment is uneducated and bad generalization of the way prices are determined. I've collected mcgwire since 89'. Never mattered to me whether he ever got in. Nor would I ever care of what was in his body. Rare items of a player will always be desired regardless. Those "tainted" guys still have MANY rabid collectors that still will pay for Rare premium item.

I'd have to agree with Panthrotc. I still collect McGwire and lost his A's helmet in a recent auction - and somebody paid ALOT for that helmet.

On the rare occasion a Dave Kingman GU item comes to auction and it is somewhat rare or unusual... I meet with a battle from both Kingman collectors and Mets/Cubs collectors. It doesn't matter to me whether either gets in the Hall. They were prolific sluggers I followed during my lifetime and I collect them to this day. Adam Dunn included as a recent example.

On a side; it was disappointing when Mac spoke of his involvement with steroids. My take was always that following 2 seasons of foot issues and facing early retirement because of; he found that steroids (legal what he took then) got him to heal and continue to play. He was a born HR hitter whether he was on them or not. Did his items decrease in value after admission? Yep. Would I have sold if I'd seen that coming? Nope.

People collect because they like what they collect. If the individual is collecting because they are looking at HOF potential - they are investors; not collectors per say.

Roady
12-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Actually McGwire admitted to using PED's throughout his major league career all the way back to his rookie season.
It had nothing to do with an injury. It had to do with greed.

Roady
12-26-2014, 07:04 PM
My post was not to belittle anyone's collecting choice.
I just wanted to make sure people know he took them during his entire career. And yes, my greed comment was my opinion.
I don't care what anyone else collects.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/7900244/

"According to McGwire's statement, his usage of PEDs spanned a large portion of his career, which included parts or all of 16 seasons."

skyking26
12-26-2014, 09:20 PM
My post was not to belittle anyone's collecting choice.
I just wanted to make sure people know he took them during his entire career. And yes, my greed comment was my opinion.
I don't care what anyone else collects.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/7900244/

"According to McGwire's statement, his usage of PEDs spanned a large portion of his career, which included parts or all of 16 seasons."

I glanced at the article you have prefaced. I collect McGwire and have always loved watching him play... That said, I had met him just a few times during his career and found him to be "not so nice," and he should have gotten all this out when before Congress instead of taking the 5th. He only came clean when going for the hitting instructor job with STL.

All that said, before or after steroids, he was one of the best pure power hitters of our time. I grew up following Dave Kingman obviously, and no roids there. Pure power. It's sad McGwire took roids, sadder he kept taking them for periods, and saddest that he didn't come clean for so long.

My son was born the year before the record was broken in 98. Interestingly enough, as a elementary school project, he wrote an essay on McGwire. I've explained the whole thing and the whole subject shows how good people, famous or not, can be led down wrong paths.

Roady
12-26-2014, 10:22 PM
I glanced at the article you have prefaced.
All that said, before or after steroids, he was one of the best pure power hitters of our time. I grew up following Dave Kingman obviously, and no roids there. Pure power. It's sad McGwire took roids, sadder he kept taking them for periods, and saddest that he didn't come clean for so long.

That's the rub with McGwire though. Was there ever a "before steroids" during his MLB career? Who knows. We may have never seen him play clean and on his own natural God given talent.

danesei@yahoo.com
12-27-2014, 01:04 AM
That's the rub with McGwire though. Was there ever a "before steroids" during his MLB career? Who knows. We may have never seen him play clean and on his own natural God given talent.

The assumption is the "before steroids" part of his career was before he stopped getting hurt all the time (pre-'95/'96).

Roady
12-27-2014, 09:36 AM
The assumption is the "before steroids" part of his career was before he stopped getting hurt all the time (pre-'95/'96).
But he said himself that he used them his entire MLB career.

marino13
12-27-2014, 05:10 PM
One thing I learned about collecting gamers

If you can't afford it, it ain't for you.

STLHAMMER32
12-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Can you provide proof of that statement? I can only find him saying that his use was a decade beginning in the 90's.

Roady
12-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Can you provide proof of that statement? I can only find him saying that his use was a decade beginning in the 90's.

I posted the article and his qoute from the article.

danesei@yahoo.com
12-27-2014, 07:33 PM
I posted the article and his qoute from the article.

Could you post a link to the article, instead, so there aren't copyright questions, which could result in the post getting edited or removed?

danesei@yahoo.com
12-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Could you post a link to the article, instead, so there aren't copyright questions, which could result in the post getting edited or removed?

Nevermind... I found it.

danesei@yahoo.com
12-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Roady, I have now read the article at the link you posted. Nowhere in the there is McGwire quoted as saying he used steroids during his entire career. Matthew Leach, the columnist, interjects that McGwire's statements mean that he used PEDs during all 16 years of his career. Leach also concludes that McGwire acknowledged PED use sometime after his third full season.

The actual quotes attributed to McGwire make it sound like he started using "low doses" of steroids during the 1996 season, to make sure he could stay on the field.

That is how I interpreted the comments about being injury prone (*M*A*S*H* unit) and calling his dad during '96 to talk to him about quitting, and deciding to use steroids as a way to help stay healthy. What specifically did McGwire say (not Leach) that leads you to believe McGwire admitted to using steroids his entire career?

Roady
12-27-2014, 11:44 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/sports/baseball/12mcgwire.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"McGwire said he briefly tried steroids after the 1989 season but did not begin using them regularly until the winter after the 1993 season,...."

He chose his words very, very carefully.

Roady
12-27-2014, 11:49 PM
I will let this drop, it's polluting the thread and I can tell some feelings are very raw.
I don't really care if anyone believes McGwire or takes up for him
To me he is a liar and a cheater. He is a grown man who acted like a little child for most if not all of his career. A man who didn't have the will power not to cheat and lie.
I am not his judge and he never did anything to me that required my forgiveness. I just have zero respect for him.
He is a man of low character.

Wrigley2010
12-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Back to the purpose of the thread... If you want to reply that's great let's keep this thread going! If you want to debate that's fine as well. Don't post a reply or debating someones choice without adding your Single Player with whom you feel to be over valued. That's both lame and posting without purpose. Let's allow the thread to keep moving forward. Lets all debate away but lets add value to this thread too by posting your choice!!!

Another SINGLE player I feel to be over valued and I'm sure I'm not alone is Nick Swisher. I think his appeal stems more from his personality than it does from his play. A decent player but not someone whose gamers should fetch the same as the likes of say Adam Jones (IMHO).

chakes89
12-28-2014, 04:08 AM
His prices weren't high until he put on the pinstripes.

Wrigley2010
12-28-2014, 04:39 AM
His prices weren't high until he put on the pinstripes.

There is no doubt the team a player plays on is a significant factor when determining value. I.E. Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs and to a lesser extent the Dodgers and Giants all carry premiums due to their market or success. We're all well aware of this factor.