PDA

View Full Version : My Message To Gameuseduniverse

3arod13
12-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Some of you may be aware of this initial post:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=62969

A comment was made in this post, that I felt was very insensitive. Actually hit a nerve with me, because I have experienced this same type of comment that affected me in another forum.

I made a post indicating that the person may want to possibly consider not making insensitive comments as they did. Didn't get nasty about it, just made the suggestion. A few others agreed. One person made a comment that I thought was more directed in a negative way at that person who posted the comment, so I asked to please not to do so, and that the post made I'm sure wasn't made with negative intent and just made by using a bad choice of words.

My wife and I went to dinner. When I got home, the comments were deleted, including the insensitive comment made by the person in question.

I'm not sure if any other comments were made after my last post, that resulted in this, but the comment by that person, and some following, shouldn't have been deleted. This is ridiculous!

What should have occurred is the person who made the insensitive comment, should have been given the opportunity to apologize that they meant no harm, and that should have been the end of that.

Instead, moderators delete the comments in the post that I feel were warranted and valid. If done my anyone else, it would have been different and we all know that!!!!

I continuously watch people attack each other, and many posts remain. Why in this case was it different? Well, I'm sure those who read the initial post understand why.

Totally unfair! Many of us have complained how this forum has changed, and many good people have left. Unfortunate! But it's situations like this that many get upset about.

If GAMEUSEDINVERSE feels the need to delete this post, then ban me, as I do not want to be a part of a forum that conducts themselves in this manner.

If I am banned, thank you all for the knowledge an experience you have shared with me.

If not for you, I would never have learned that my 1996 Rawlings bat wasn't legit; or I would never have the opportunity to obtain Arod's 1st Career Grand Slam Bat; and so on.

There have been members in the forum who have passed away, and for me, that comment was inappropriate and insensitive! And by that thread continuing, many could have read it, learned from it, and it could have benefitted all in the future.

Not sure if it's because I'm 55 years old, old fashion, and just out of touch with things these day, but in the end, the comments made did not need to be deleted.

All my best!

momen55
12-11-2014, 07:23 PM
i saw that. what is/was the problem? it seems like a legit question to me. :confused:

metsbats
12-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Tony,

I deleted the offensive post and the subsequent replies because it was offensive and offend you and the subsequent members who replied. I don't see any reason why we would ban you for pointing this out. We did lose several great members who have passed on and I was in total agreement.

As a moderator I play no favorites and I unfortunately lost a friend in Bob Koppel for several years because I needed to moderate in the spirit of the GUF rules and ban him.

If anything I could be fired as moderator for calling out my boss's boss.

David

3arod13
12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Tony,

I deleted the offensive post and the subsequent replies because it was offensive and offend you and the subsequent members who replied. I don't see any reason why we would ban you for pointing this out. We did lose several great members who have passed on and was in total agreement.

As a moderator I play no favorites and I unfortunately lost a friend in Bob Koppel for several years because I needed to moderate in the spirit of the GUF rules and ban him.

David

David, thank you for responding! Your explanation and reasoning is understood. Thanks!

bravesfanjd
12-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Tony

I understand what you mean I have learned so much from this site and have gotten some cool items via the cc section that I just enjoy the threads were I learn something and just stay away from the other threads and posts and replies that may hinder my enjoyment of the site because the parts I do enjoy are worth being a member

Josh

KGoldin
12-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Feel free to delete the 'or alive' comment in the title of that thread
No harm was meant and im sorry if anyone was offended.
It just seems that he can post all day long here and is around, then suddenly he is out of content.
I will refrain from posting further on the subject, but if any of you know me, and know this is the first time in the 2+ years I have been a member that I posted in that manner, you can bet there is a good reason.
and I will leave it at that.

3arod13
12-12-2014, 05:05 AM
No harm was meant and im sorry if anyone was offended.

Understood, thanks!

Jags Fan Dan
12-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I do remember a while back a thread about a questionable item in Goldin Auctions and a discussion about it was ongoing and then guess what happened?

admin_old
12-12-2014, 10:10 PM
With over 9700 members, our opinions, communication styles, senses of humor, and tolerance levels are as varied as our collections. The moderators work hard to create a fair and enjoyable forum for everyone. We don't want to ban or unfairly silence opinions by deleting messages. We're not a mafia, out to snuff people and their voices. We communicate frequently, to make sure we are making the best decisions, in accordance to the forum rules. We volunteer for these roles because we love the hobby and want a great forum.

I know David does not play favorites, none of the mods do, they do an awesome job. The forum has really simple rules. If a post is deleted, it's always related to a rule violation. Sometimes members haven't read or don't know the rules, some try to push the limits. Just because a message is deleted, doesn't mean the poster is a bad member. It doesn't mean mods don't want your opinion heard. It doesn't even mean the mods disagree... It just means a rule was violated. Some people just don't care about rules, they tend to be the repeat offenders that eventually get banned.

In this case, David deleted a post that you and others found offensive. Cleaning up a thread often gets tricky. Once you delete/edit the primary concern, other replies and comments often need deleted because they no longer stand on their own without the original context. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, that is always welcome. We are always looking for ways to improve our forum and the enjoyment it brings to our members. I'm glad you are active and benefiting from the community.

Thank you,

Doug

3arod13
12-13-2014, 06:22 AM
With over 9700 members, our opinions, communication styles, senses of humor, and tolerance levels are as varied as our collections. The moderators work hard to create a fair and enjoyable forum for everyone. We don't want to ban or unfairly silence opinions by deleting messages. We're not a mafia, out to snuff people and their voices. We communicate frequently, to make sure we are making the best decisions, in accordance to the forum rules. We volunteer for these roles because we love the hobby and want a great forum.

I know David does not play favorites, none of the mods do, they do an awesome job. The forum has really simple rules. If a post is deleted, it's always related to a rule violation. Sometimes members haven't read or don't know the rules, some try to push the limits. Just because a message is deleted, doesn't mean the poster is a bad member. It doesn't mean mods don't want your opinion heard. It doesn't even mean the mods disagree... It just means a rule was violated. Some people just don't care about rules, they tend to be the repeat offenders that eventually get banned.

In this case, David deleted a post that you and others found offensive. Cleaning up a thread often gets tricky. Once you delete/edit the primary concern, other replies and comments often need deleted because they no longer stand on their own without the original context. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, that is always welcome. We are always looking for ways to improve our forum and the enjoyment it brings to our members. I'm glad you are active and benefiting from the community.

Thank you,

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for your post. Truly understand, and I can definitely say that I wouldn't want any of your jobs moderating this forum. If I did, many wouldn't be here :)

Majority of the issues are negative behaviors of individuals. Intentionally making a post that the poster knows will hit a nerve or get a negative reaction is the main problem that exists.

As many have expressed, they hesitate to post, in fear of just that.

Thanks!