PDA

View Full Version : Why would people buy NCAA signed items?

greg678
12-13-2014, 11:49 PM
If people know that college players get in trouble and/or suspended for accepting money for their autographs, why would someone purchase them? Especially purchase an item from a dealer? Does a Auburn fan purchase Alabama items to get the other player suspended?
Do people think they are sold by random students who got the autograph after class? I have wondered this for a long time. Been off GUU for a while, but have some GU items I own and have wondered this for a while. Thanks and maybe think twice before purchasing college players autos and jerseys. Just sayin'

ethanoah
12-14-2014, 01:57 AM
I don't think you really understand how getting college autographs work... It's not like every player just demands money when they sign or people just hand the players hundreds. Some college teams sign after every game... Also a lot of teams have an autograph signing day at the beginning of the season. I think the only thing to monitor is if a star player has hundreds of items through one dealer with proof shots of the signing while still in college.

Ethan

danesei@yahoo.com
12-14-2014, 06:20 PM
It would likely be for the same reason that ultra high-end collectors purchase known stolen art on the black market: They want it, they can afford it, and they don't care about repercussions.

recruiter
12-26-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't think you really understand how getting college autographs work... It's not like every player just demands money when they sign or people just hand the players hundreds. Some college teams sign after every game... Also a lot of teams have an autograph signing day at the beginning of the season. I think the only thing to monitor is if a star player has hundreds of items through one dealer with proof shots of the signing while still in college.

Ethan

Precisely, although I do see the day when colleges begin to control the market themselves by selling their own team-signed stuff. Some do already.

crisco511
01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
I have a ton of terps signed baskeball stuff. As long as the player is not getting paid, I don't think it violates any rules.