PDA

View Full Version : Pete Rose bat on eBay

gorilla777
12-20-2014, 04:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pete-Rose-Game-Used-Bat-Cincinnati-Reds-1976-World-Series-/301448882111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462fc0e7bf

The claim is this bat was used in the '76 World Series? Of course there is no proof or reasons given for the post. And Rose used predominantly Adirondack bats in the '75-'76 time period as well. This collection it is from also contains one of the phoniest Ichiro bats I've seen in awhile, so buyer beware.
The listing price of $50k is at least reasonable for a Bicentennial Rose bat.

teddy406
12-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Rose did use a LS in the WS that year when batting from the right side, if I remember right. But to say it was used IN the WS is a huge stretch. That price is crazy too. Maybe 10k if it's a perfect gamer. 50K? I'd rather buy a Dimaggio, Mantle, or Williams for that price.

camarokids
12-20-2014, 06:04 PM
A pretty lame description for such an expensive item. Doesn't even have pictures of the ends of the bat, nor does the seller describe what is on the ends.

It is very frustrating when sellers do not list the knob and barrel end info!!!

bgakladd
12-20-2014, 08:26 PM
A pretty lame description for such an expensive item. Doesn't even have pictures of the ends of the bat, nor does the seller describe what is on the ends.

It is very frustrating when sellers do not list the knob and barrel end info!!!

Pics of the Rose bat showing both ends. Google search: Game Used Only Collection Pete Rose. It will show multiple other views of the bat and one with Rose similar to what is for sale on Ebay.

bgakladd
12-20-2014, 08:29 PM
The site is: Game Used Only. Go to baseball, then to bats.

camarokids
12-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks for posting. But that info should be listed with the auction.

bgakladd
12-20-2014, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=camarokids;370956]Thanks for posting. But that info should be listed with the auction.[
I agree, I asked for the pics of both ends of the bat and that site is what he directed me to.

metsbats
12-22-2014, 03:01 PM
I viewed some footage of the 76 World Series and saw that Rose did use an HB bat for his first AB in Game 2 (batting left handed) and an Adirondack for the rest of the game. In Game 3 he did use an HB too. Attached is a screen shot from game 3 (as Teddy406 pointed batting from the right side). Didn't view the rest of the games but this does show that he used both Adirondacks and HBs during the series.

gorilla777
12-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks, David. And that would jive with the Greg's recollection above using H&B and switching out with Adirondack bats.
However, the bat in question fits to orders done only in mid/late October, so literally days before the end of the Series. The fellow selling it claims the lathe marks are because they were rushing the bat to Pete for him to use, pretty far fetched. I think he called them lather marks.
Those marks have nothing to do with the H&B factory, but would have been done at another bat manufacturer, either Adirondack or Mizuno, most likely Adirondack, where the bat was sent. He had a couple of different Adirondack models ordered during this time and they were based off the H&B specs.
Then take a look at the barrel use, very light marks with the spongey white ball transfers. And the overall bat does not look like it saw a major league field. He also claims the handle was cleaned, by Pete. It shows no residual evidence of tar anywhere, completely clean. It looks like it was sanded down, likely at the other bat manufacturer who was sent this bat. There is no accompanying documentation, like a 580 Gift Shop certificate or 580 tape on it. It is clear no one is fooled by this one, at least I hope.

gorilla777
12-22-2014, 03:32 PM
And since this fellow brought it up, before his post was flushed, the Ichiro bat he is peddling...pics below.
I told him it was fake, but he chose not to listen. The bat is not even a Pro Model bat, but rather one made for signatures, like thru Upper Deck, etc. The barrel branding is all wrong (there was a thread from someone that got stuck with one of these "gamers" a few years ago) and not like his pro bats.
The finish is incorrect, as there should not be any grain showing at all due to the type of thick Smith like finish, especially on the knob.
Then those ball marks, not good. Ichiro would clean the bats he used consistently, so even if you have one with heavy use, it is only seen when looking at the seam impressions and not the ball and ink transfers. Check out the pics below, with the marks all over the bat from what looks like low speed batting cage pitches. And the story that is given with this is it must be a pro bat because Ichiro is not getting jammed in BP? Okay...
It is a non pro model, signature bat with manufactured use.

Lumber 1980
12-23-2014, 11:16 AM
I am not selling the Ichiro and did ask for that info on that bat prior.

The Rose bat has awesome seems marks on the right side of the barrel, which would have been correct for when Rose hit lefty. Very hard to capture in a photo. The blue and black ball marks on the barrel of the Rose, are with out question, from American and National league baseballs. It could have been that Rose sent this bat to have copied after the World Series but he had used this model before during that season. What reason would he need them to use that as a template?

The picture is of Rose and Thurman Munson prior to a game at Yankee Stadium. Thanks for adding those other pics guys.

Lumber 1980
12-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Also for got to mention that there is tar residue all down the handle of the bat, also in the grains of the handle with some spike marks as well. Red bat rack marks all down the barrel. Having played pro baseball, I know a thing or two about bats. The Rose bat is 100% guaranteed to be as stated. Anyone who knows bats, would know this one to be a beautiful example from a very rare order from Rose.

bgakladd
12-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Concerning the 1976 World Series, what color were the bat racks at Yankee Stadium and Riverfront Stadium in 1976? It would seem those colors would be on the bat. Only the red color is mentioned unless I missed something.

Mark17
12-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Concerning the 1976 World Series, what color were the bat racks at Yankee Stadium and Riverfront Stadium in 1976? It would seem those colors would be on the bat. Only the red color is mentioned unless I missed something.

There were only 2 games played at Yankee Stadium so if the bat doesn't have rack marks from there it means nothing.

I have many GU bats that are hammered with ball and stitch marks, but have very few rack marks.

bgakladd
12-23-2014, 08:23 PM
There were only 2 games played at Yankee Stadium so if the bat doesn't have rack marks from there it means nothing.

I have many GU bats that are hammered with ball and stitch marks, but have very few rack marks.

That makes sense but I guess my question is how it gets red bat rack marks on it when on the Game Used Only Pete Rose website it states the bat was made specially for the Hit King and "It was sent to him during the World Series". If neither team had red bat racks was it used during the World Series? Or before since Getty Images shows the similar bat in an early October photo. Or was it used in the 1977 preseason.

bgakladd
12-24-2014, 12:55 PM
That makes sense but I guess my question is how it gets red bat rack marks on it when on the Game Used Only Pete Rose website it states the bat was made specially for the Hit King and "It was sent to him during the World Series". If neither team had red bat racks was it used during the World Series? Or before since Getty Images shows the similar bat in an early October photo. Or was it used in the 1977 preseason.

Riverfront Stadium 1976 World Series bat rack was green. Not saying Rose never used it, but was it used in the World Series in 1976? Hit marks from both leagues could be from 1977 spring training from interleague games.

bgakladd
12-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Riverfront Stadium 1976 World Series bat rack was green. Not saying Rose never used it, but was it used in the World Series in 1976? Hit marks from both leagues could be from 1977 spring training from interleague games.

Kinda looks familiar.......spring training with Foster, Rose, Kluzuski. Look at the knob from spring training.

bgakladd
12-24-2014, 03:34 PM
My last post on this bat, last photo I showed might even be an aluminum bats so I might have put a wrong pic but it lets you get an idea why both league ball marks could come from spring training games in '77. Had fun doing research on this one though! Never collected Pete Rose bats but did have (7) J. Bench game used bats and a 1976 game worn road gray Bench Reds jersey at one time in my collection. Regret getting rid of that one.