Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amex46
    • Jun 2006

game worn jersey washed or unwashed?

what do you think is the best state to keep a game worn jersey in..unwashed or washed, i just obtained an nfl game worn jersey after a game 2 weeks ago in an unwashed state and it STINKS!....if i were to wash it i would wash it in cold water to take the smell out..do you think me washing it would take any value away from it..thanks
  • kingjammy24
    • Nov 2005

Re: game worn jersey washed or unwashed?

unwashed all the way. i obtained a world series jersey that was worn in the final, victorious game. it was obviously washed afterwards. upon seeing the celebration in the clubhouse, with champagne flying everywhere, i really wish my jersey had all the stains and champagne smell on it.

anyway, if it smells, just spray a little febreeze on it. presto, it'll still have the stains but will smell like a valley of wild lilacs on a warm summer day.

rudy.

Comment

• bubbrubb25
      • Jan 2007

I would def. now wash it. Why dont you get a glass case or something like that to put it in????
      http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/

Email: dannysubach@yahoo.com

Comment

• bubbrubb25
        • Jan 2007

I meant not not now
        http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/bubbrubb25/

Email: dannysubach@yahoo.com

Comment

• flaco1801
          • Nov 2005

if you dont wash it you can always get dna and have it authenticated by dr. henry lee. this answer may seem odd, but no more foolish than the question? Jeff

Comment

• kylehess10
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by amex46
            what do you think is the best state to keep a game worn jersey in..unwashed or washed, i just obtained an nfl game worn jersey after a game 2 weeks ago in an unwashed state and it STINKS!....if i were to wash it i would wash it in cold water to take the smell out..do you think me washing it would take any value away from it..thanks
            I have quite a few stinky items myself (mostly hats). I just keep them in a case and I don't smell a thing.
            kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
            http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• chakes89
              • May 2006

who wore the jersey?
              I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• jake33
                • Nov 2005

If you frame an unwashed jersey, there is a possibility that moisture form the jersey (sweat, blood, urine, spit, snot, water) can fog up the frame,

Comment

• PK
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by chakes89
                  who wore the jersey?
                  That's what I was wondering along with how they got it so fast and can they get any others?

Comment

• chakes89
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by jake33
                    If you frame an unwashed jersey, there is a possibility that moisture form the jersey (sweat, blood, urine, spit, snot, water) can fog up the frame,
                    why would a jersey have urine on it

Comment

• Jake51
                      • Jan 2006

Sadly, I know this because I had one. Mark Schlereth (played O-line for the Broncs and the skins) was nicknamed 'Stink' and it was a perfect fit. He would pee his pants (and his jersey tail when it was tucked in) almost every game, often in a pile after a play was over. Guess it was a combination of nerves and who knows what!

Comment

• hblakewolf
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

Forum Readers-
                        Flannel baseball jerseys MUST BE CLEANED/WASHED in order to preserve them. I have dozens of Phillies flannels dating back to 1949 in my collection and all have been cleaned before storing them. Why is this crucial? Moths are attracted to the wool when the detect dirt/grime and in turn, eat the wool.

I know several collectors who have stored unwashed flannels in their closet, only to remove them at a later date and find they look like Swiss cheese!

Knock on wood-I have never had a moth hole on any of my flannels and as another precautionary measure, all are stored in a cedar chest.

FYI
                        Howard Wolf
                        hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• chakes89
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Jake51
                          Sadly, I know this because I had one. Mark Schlereth (played O-line for the Broncs and the skins) was nicknamed 'Stink' and it was a perfect fit. He would pee his pants (and his jersey tail when it was tucked in) almost every game, often in a pile after a play was over. Guess it was a combination of nerves and who knows what!
                          thats funny

Comment

• staindsox
                            • Jun 2006

I agree with Howard. From a preservation point of view, I think you would want to wash it. Have you ever looked at old gym clothes that haven't been washed in awhile? It can turn into a science fair experiment. I like gamers showing heavy use too, but the sweat and soiling could lead to future deterioration. I would suggest you wash it.

Chris
                            Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• kingjammy24
                              • Nov 2005

if you're concerned about moisture developing into mold, then run it through a cycle in the dryer. mold can only grow in moist conditions.

moths will be attracted to wool whether it's clean or dirty. i hang all of my jerseys on cedar hangers. you can also do as howard does and use a cedar chest and/or moth balls. the cedar alone should do the trick.

i just think it would be unfortunate to wash out "game stains". dirt stains, blood stains, pine tar, etc., will not turn into anything detrimental. i think stains such as these really add to a piece.

again, if you're concerned about preserving the integrity of the jersey then run it through the dryer to completely dry out any moisture, coat it with a light mist of lysol spray disinfectant to kill any bacteria. use febreeze if the smell bothers you. hang it on a cedar hanger or use a cedar chest, or at a minimum moth balls. after all that, you should have a dry jersey that smells great, is resistant to moths, and yet has all of the game stains remaining.

if you had the nolan ryan jersey where ryan and ventura got into fisticuffs, would you really try to wash out the blood?

rudy.

Comment

Working...