X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bat_master
    • Sep 2005

Vintage Pennants

Hi Everyone,

As most of you know I'm more of a bat guy than anything else. However, when something of the baseball genre catches my eye I tend to take notice.

Recently I was visiting with a friend and going through some of his baseball items and he showed me a couple of pennants that he has. I can honestly say I've never seen either one before and a quick search through google and past Lelands and past Hunt Auctions didn't turn up anything.

The pennants are of Johnny Evers and Frank Chance. Though they may not be as rare as I think they are I most certainly haven't seen others like them before. They are around 20" long and probably 7" wide at the top. I'm guessing about the width, but the lenght is probably correct. They are made of a felt like material.

Does anyone know when they would have come out? What's a ballpark value on something like those?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04784.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	713885
    sigpic
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com
  • staindsox
    • Jun 2006

Re: Vintage Pennants

I have seen many similar pennants. I believe it was Hunt who had some like this about 10 years ago. My guess is 1913. Gorgeous item!!!
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• mjkm90
      • Nov 2005

For some reason the Chance looks familiar. Both amazing pieces that would bring (I'm guessing here) $1,500-$2,000 easy.
      Mike H

Comment

• MGHProductions
        • Oct 2005

They're awesome pennants!! I've seen the Chance, but don't ever recall seeing the Evers. I'm with Mike on the prices, maybe even a little more.

Comment

• bat_master
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mjkm90
          For some reason the Chance looks familiar. Both amazing pieces that would bring (I'm guessing here) $1,500-$2,000 easy.
          Hi guys, thanks for your help. That price was for the pair right?
          sigpic
          Tim Byington
          Hall of Fame Bats
          tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• mjkm90
            • Nov 2005

Each. Those are extremely rare pieces.

Ever wonder what collectors 100 years from now will say about A-Rod pennants?
            Mike H

Comment

• bat_master
              • Sep 2005

Wow..each? That's amazing. I know I'd never seen anything before. Thanks very much for the information!
              sigpic
              Tim Byington
              Hall of Fame Bats
              tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• mjkm90
                • Nov 2005

Most have never seen them before, hence the high value. If you want an item like those, you either pay or go without.
                Mike H

Comment

• HiNeighbor
                  • Nov 2005

In the right auction house, they may even bring in even more.

greg

Comment

• mjkm90
                    • Nov 2005

I'm thinking $2,500-$3,000 after reviewing the sale price for early pennants in major auction houses.
                    Mike H

Comment

• ksfarmboy
                      • Nov 2005

Chance played with and managed New York in 1913 and 1914. Big Yankee collectors would pay big money for that pennant. I think the Evers wouldn't sell for as much. The Chance I'm guessing $2000-$4000 and the Evers $1500-$2500.

Comment

• aaron1050
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bat_master
                        Hi Everyone,

As most of you know I'm more of a bat guy than anything else. However, when something of the baseball genre catches my eye I tend to take notice.

Recently I was visiting with a friend and going through some of his baseball items and he showed me a couple of pennants that he has. I can honestly say I've never seen either one before and a quick search through google and past Lelands and past Hunt Auctions didn't turn up anything.

The pennants are of Johnny Evers and Frank Chance. Though they may not be as rare as I think they are I most certainly haven't seen others like them before. They are around 20" long and probably 7" wide at the top. I'm guessing about the width, but the lenght is probably correct. They are made of a felt like material.

Does anyone know when they would have come out? What's a ballpark value on something like those?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

[ATTACH]3292[/ATTACH]
                        Great pennants. I collect mainly 1900's - 1910's memorabilia and both pieces date from that era.

The Chance pennant has been offered up for auction a few times in the past few years (I'll do some research and see if I can track down exactly when) and would likely bring between $3,000 and $5,000 depending on condition.

The Evers pennant, though, is the real prize. I'm very familiar with pennants of this era and I have never seen that example offered anywhere by any major auction house or otherwise. It could very well be unique to the hobby. Again, depending on condition, I would conservatively estimate it would sell for between $5,000 and $8,000 (possibly more).

I would consign both to either Mastro's or Robert Edwards Auctions and give it a go. (A group of exceedingly rare turn-of-the-century pennants recently sold for several thousands of dollars each on E-Bay, but I think they would have sold for even more through a major auctions house.) The Evers pennant would be fun to see at auction. With a unique item like that and with collectors with the financial resources to pay big bucks, you could easily attract a bidding war and the price could skyrocket.

Comment

• mjkm90
                          • Nov 2005

AARON!!! It's great to hear from you again. We were beginning to wonder if you had exited the hobby after you sold your White Sox Spring training brochure.
                          Mike H

Comment

• aaron1050
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mjkm90
                            AARON!!! It's great to hear from you again. We were beginning to wonder if you had exited the hobby after you sold your White Sox Spring training brochure.
                            Are you kidding?? I love my hobby and collection more than ever! I just hung a 1969 game used Yankees jersey on the wall next to a newly framed Hal Chase "A Fan For A Fan". (That White Sox brochure was actually a duplicate. Mine is still resting comfortably in one of my display cases.) Last year was just killer at work, and I'm a proud new poppa, so I didn't have as much time to devote to memorabilia as in the past.

Now I finally have a moment to breathe and even managed to update my blog for the first time in five months.

Comment

• bat_master
                              • Sep 2005

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info on the pennants. I'm going to have to make a decision eventually.

Nice Burbach jersey you have there! I was the previous owner and was very pleased with it. Bugged me that I ended up selling it, but items come and go.
                              sigpic
                              Tim Byington
                              Hall of Fame Bats
                              tim@hofbats.com

Comment

Working...