PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Pennants

bat_master
01-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

As most of you know I'm more of a bat guy than anything else. However, when something of the baseball genre catches my eye I tend to take notice.

Recently I was visiting with a friend and going through some of his baseball items and he showed me a couple of pennants that he has. I can honestly say I've never seen either one before and a quick search through google and past Lelands and past Hunt Auctions didn't turn up anything.

The pennants are of Johnny Evers and Frank Chance. Though they may not be as rare as I think they are I most certainly haven't seen others like them before. They are around 20" long and probably 7" wide at the top. I'm guessing about the width, but the lenght is probably correct. They are made of a felt like material.

Does anyone know when they would have come out? What's a ballpark value on something like those?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

staindsox
01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I have seen many similar pennants. I believe it was Hunt who had some like this about 10 years ago. My guess is 1913. Gorgeous item!!!

mjkm90
01-06-2007, 12:22 PM
For some reason the Chance looks familiar. Both amazing pieces that would bring (I'm guessing here) $1,500-$2,000 easy.

MGHProductions
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
They're awesome pennants!! I've seen the Chance, but don't ever recall seeing the Evers. I'm with Mike on the prices, maybe even a little more.

bat_master
01-06-2007, 01:22 PM
For some reason the Chance looks familiar. Both amazing pieces that would bring (I'm guessing here) $1,500-$2,000 easy.

Hi guys, thanks for your help. That price was for the pair right?

mjkm90
01-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Each. Those are extremely rare pieces.

Ever wonder what collectors 100 years from now will say about A-Rod pennants?

bat_master
01-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow..each? That's amazing. I know I'd never seen anything before. Thanks very much for the information!

mjkm90
01-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Most have never seen them before, hence the high value. If you want an item like those, you either pay or go without.:D

HiNeighbor
01-06-2007, 04:36 PM
In the right auction house, they may even bring in even more.

greg

mjkm90
01-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm thinking $2,500-$3,000 after reviewing the sale price for early pennants in major auction houses.

ksfarmboy
01-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Chance played with and managed New York in 1913 and 1914. Big Yankee collectors would pay big money for that pennant. I think the Evers wouldn't sell for as much. The Chance I'm guessing $2000-$4000 and the Evers $1500-$2500.

aaron1050
01-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

As most of you know I'm more of a bat guy than anything else. However, when something of the baseball genre catches my eye I tend to take notice.

Recently I was visiting with a friend and going through some of his baseball items and he showed me a couple of pennants that he has. I can honestly say I've never seen either one before and a quick search through google and past Lelands and past Hunt Auctions didn't turn up anything.

The pennants are of Johnny Evers and Frank Chance. Though they may not be as rare as I think they are I most certainly haven't seen others like them before. They are around 20" long and probably 7" wide at the top. I'm guessing about the width, but the lenght is probably correct. They are made of a felt like material.

Does anyone know when they would have come out? What's a ballpark value on something like those?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Great pennants. I collect mainly 1900's - 1910's memorabilia and both pieces date from that era.

The Chance pennant has been offered up for auction a few times in the past few years (I'll do some research and see if I can track down exactly when) and would likely bring between $3,000 and $5,000 depending on condition.

The Evers pennant, though, is the real prize. I'm very familiar with pennants of this era and I have never seen that example offered anywhere by any major auction house or otherwise. It could very well be unique to the hobby. Again, depending on condition, I would conservatively estimate it would sell for between $5,000 and $8,000 (possibly more).

I would consign both to either Mastro's or Robert Edwards Auctions and give it a go. (A group of exceedingly rare turn-of-the-century pennants recently sold for several thousands of dollars each on E-Bay, but I think they would have sold for even more through a major auctions house.) The Evers pennant would be fun to see at auction. With a unique item like that and with collectors with the financial resources to pay big bucks, you could easily attract a bidding war and the price could skyrocket.

http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/

mjkm90
01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
AARON!!! It's great to hear from you again. We were beginning to wonder if you had exited the hobby after you sold your White Sox Spring training brochure.

aaron1050
01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
AARON!!! It's great to hear from you again. We were beginning to wonder if you had exited the hobby after you sold your White Sox Spring training brochure.

Are you kidding?? I love my hobby and collection more than ever! I just hung a 1969 game used Yankees jersey on the wall next to a newly framed Hal Chase "A Fan For A Fan". (That White Sox brochure was actually a duplicate. Mine is still resting comfortably in one of my display cases.) Last year was just killer at work, and I'm a proud new poppa, so I didn't have as much time to devote to memorabilia as in the past.

Now I finally have a moment to breathe and even managed to update my blog for the first time in five months.

bat_master
01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info on the pennants. I'm going to have to make a decision eventually.

Nice Burbach jersey you have there! I was the previous owner and was very pleased with it. Bugged me that I ended up selling it, but items come and go.

HiNeighbor
01-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey Aaron....Just saw you became a new dad. Congrats!! It's the best thing anyone could ever do. My daughter just turned 9. In cleaning out the closet over the past few days came across a video of her the day she came home after we adopted her. I also came across a tape of our friends kids when they were just 5 and 3 years old. They're now 15 and 13. It seems like just yesterday when I filmed them.

Enjoy every minute of that precious kid of yours.

All the best and congrats again!
Greg

aaron1050
01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info on the pennants. I'm going to have to make a decision eventually.

Nice Burbach jersey you have there! I was the previous owner and was very pleased with it. Bugged me that I ended up selling it, but items come and go.

That's hilarious! Very small collecting world we all live in. I love the jersey. I wanted an inexpensive 1969 or earlier Yankee home flannel with Spalding tags for quite some time and finally settled on the Burbach. (I'm actually thinking of having the 100 year anniversary patch removed and was debating whether this might leave any noticeable stitch marks.)

Good luck on whatever you decide to do with the pennants. At least now you are armed with enough info to make an informed decision.

aaron1050
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey Aaron....Just saw you became a new dad. Congrats!! It's the best thing anyone could ever do. My daughter just turned 9. In cleaning out the closet over the past few days came across a video of her the day she came home after we adopted her. I also came across a tape of our friends kids when they were just 5 and 3 years old. They're now 15 and 13. It seems like just yesterday when I filmed them.

Enjoy every minute of that precious kid of yours.

All the best and congrats again!
Greg

Thanks, Greg. I'm loving every minute of it so far -- it's been amazing.

BTW, does your BoSox dealer by any chance have that 1912 Red Sox World Series pinback I have posted on my blog? Been looking for that one for a looooong time!

bat_master
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
That's hilarious! Very small collecting world we all live in. I love the jersey. I wanted an inexpensive 1969 or earlier Yankee home flannel with Spalding tags for quite some time and finally settled on the Burbach. (I'm actually thinking of having the 100 year anniversary patch removed and was debating whether this might leave any noticeable stitch marks.)

Good luck on whatever you decide to do with the pennants. At least now you are armed with enough info to make an informed decision.

Hi Aaron,

Informed decision yes...easy decision, no. I've had several offers to purchase them outright and would much rather do that than submit them to an auction house. I'm even cotemplating holding my own "auction" and taking "bids" on them for a week at a separate email address via my website. I'm just not sure.

At any rate, I've contacted the owner and we are currently discussing how we will go about the acquisition of the collection.

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you posted.

aaron1050
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Aaron,

Informed decision yes...easy decision, no. I've had several offers to purchase them outright and would much rather do that than submit them to an auction house. I'm even cotemplating holding my own "auction" and taking "bids" on them for a week at a separate email address via my website. I'm just not sure.

At any rate, I've contacted the owner and we are currently discussing how we will go about the acquisition of the collection.

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you posted.

Well, if you'd rather not consign them, you might just want to list them on E-Bay and give everyone a shot at them. As I mentioned, the group of similar era pennants on E-Bay last month all realized very healthy prices. You might get more at an auction house, but then you have to factor in the consignment fee and the delay in listing them (REA and Mastro won't have another auction until April).

If you do decide to list them on E-Bay, let me know and I can help you with the item descriptions. Again, good luck!

http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com (http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/)