PDA

View Full Version : Filtering ebay seller from searches

Nnunnari
01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to block an eBay user from showing in your search results? It would make life much easier if the hundreds of Zane's bats did not show up on eBay. Why he does not have his own website, is beyond me.

Phil316
01-04-2015, 04:56 PM
There is a way but I think it only blocks the current search so you would have to enter his user ID every time you do a search.

seanbaseball
01-04-2015, 05:03 PM
I don't know of a way, but totally agree. Same bats, same prices.

bgakladd
01-04-2015, 05:38 PM
There is a way but I think it only blocks the current search so you would have to enter his user ID every time you do a search.

Go to advanced search link on the right side upper top and click. When that page comes up type in all the information that your looking for and scroll down till you come to sellers section. Click that box, and the gray include box will turn white and give you the option to EXCLUDE a seller. Click exclude and enter the seller's ID. Then go down to search and click. You will have to do this everytime you search, it doesn't stay on at that setting.

momen55
01-04-2015, 07:01 PM
i've tried that and it doesn't work anymore.

Nnunnari
01-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys.

1929tudor
01-04-2015, 08:42 PM
The guy has had the same stuff for years because of his prices. Wouldn't you think like any store or even collector if the stuff doesn't sell lower the prices and move the stuff. Why hang onto it year after year after year with the same prices. I think he does lower them a little if you get the best offer option but not even close to what there worth in my opinion.

seanbaseball
01-04-2015, 08:50 PM
The guy has had the same stuff for years because of his prices. Wouldn't you think like any store or even collector if the stuff doesn't sell lower the prices and move the stuff. Why hang onto it year after year after year with the same prices. I think he does lower them a little if you get the best offer option but not even close to what there worth in my opinion.

In his defense I bought a nice Schoendienst Cardinal bat from him at 40% less than asking. I understand listing a little higher and accepting offers but his stuff is around forever. Also I can say MY interaction with him on that deal was not a really friendly one. He gave one word answers and seemed annoyed by my emails and questions. MAybe he was having a bad week? Don't know.

momen55
01-04-2015, 08:53 PM

true that. i've mentioned that to him and nothing. if anything, he'll raise the price. he doesn't care to sell anything, and it's obvious. same stuff for years. if he really wanted to sell, those prices would be within reach for everyone.

earlywynnfan
01-04-2015, 09:02 PM
A few years ago, a prominent auction house sold a group of maybe 10 bats. I really wanted one, but the lot went higher than I was willing to go. I called the AH and asked if they would mind passing my contact info along to the winner, in hopes that maybe they would sell me the one bat I wanted. The woman at the AH said, "Sure, let me see who won it." After a few minutes on hold, she came back and said, "Don't bother." I thought this was odd, until a couple weeks later Zane listed "my" bat on ebay -- for about 3x what the entire lot went for, of course. I think he still has it listed today.

Ken

PS: For the record, way back in the day I had many pleasant transactions with Zane. I think his "bat blowout" ads were my all-time favorites in SCD. But it seems like he hasn't listed a bat that is anywhere near a reasonable selling price in ten years.

yanks12025
01-04-2015, 09:06 PM
What is this a witch hunt???

seanbaseball
01-04-2015, 09:12 PM
What is this a witch hunt???

I don't think anyone said hes a witch:eek: I think members here can express experiences/observations about all sellers, ebay/auction houses etc.

bravesfanjd
01-04-2015, 10:12 PM
I purchased a bat from Zane and I was happy with the quality and price I used the offer option and he accepted I would purchase from him again if he had a bat I wanted at a price I was willing to pay

Westsiders
01-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I too have dealt with Zane several times over the past year, including several purchases of mid-range g/u bats (both Taube graded bats, so use wasn't an issue for me). I found him to be very professional and willing to negotiate.

While his initial asking prices are unquestionably lofty, he's very knowledgable and knows what the true market value actually is. In the two purchases I made, he cut his price by more than half...to a point I felt was the true market value. During a third negotiation, he again cut his price considerably, but we simply couldn't agree on market value/price.

I am very happy with both purchases and wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again.

seanbaseball
01-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Bottom line: His stuff is good, hes knowledgeable, his asking prices are crazy and sometimes he accepts a reasonable offer. I marvel holding the inventory and relisting it for years, but its his deal. Wouldn't be my business plan.

AWA85
01-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Bottom line: His stuff is good, hes knowledgeable, his asking prices are crazy and sometimes he accepts a reasonable offer. I marvel holding the inventory and relisting it for years, but its his deal. Wouldn't be my business plan.

Or listing items such as the Barry Larkin bat as "Rookie era" when Larkin did not use the number #11 listed on the bat till years into his career? This is ok if it is a minor slip up, but he has been notified that the listing detail is incorrect.

Preston
01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Zane is a friend of mine - with that being said, are some of his prices high? Probably, but that's his choice. But as a previous poster mentioned, he is very knowledgeable about baseball stuff.

Seems like more of the "critiquing" on here is straight up attacking others. There is a difference and a tactful way to "critique" other collectors/sellers. Just my two cents.

helf35
01-06-2015, 08:04 AM
He sold me a Ortiz bat that was 33" as game issued. Seemed odd to me so i returned it. Seemed more retail to me.

3arod13
01-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Zane is a friend of mine - with that being said, are some of his prices high? Probably, but that's his choice. But as a previous poster mentioned, he is very knowledgeable about baseball stuff.

Seems like more of the "critiquing" on here is straight up attacking others. There is a difference and a tactful way to "critique" other collectors/sellers. Just my two cents.

This post started out with, "Does anyone know if there is a way to block an eBay user from showing in your search results? It would make life much easier if the hundreds of Zane's bats did not show up on eBay. Why he does not have his own website, is beyond me" and took a turn in a whole different direction, which can be perceived as negative.

There are many sellers who do the same thing.

Possibly would have been better to not mention the person trying to be blocked and just asked the question how to do it.

Just my two cents.

teddy406
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Zane's a good dude. But I agree it's a pain weeding thru his huge horde of bats!

danesei@yahoo.com
01-06-2015, 11:55 AM
This post started out with, "Does anyone know if there is a way to block an eBay user from showing in your search results? It would make life much easier if the hundreds of Zane's bats did not show up on eBay. Why he does not have his own website, is beyond me" and took a turn in a whole different direction, which can be perceived as negative.

There are many sellers who do the same thing.

This is a good point. I guess for me, the issue is who Zane Burns is. He's a well known name within the collecting community, and people who dealt with him in the past (before eBay became the megalith that it is) swear by his items and integrity being good. I expect more from someone held in such regard. If Mr Burns were a random eBay seller, then I'd chalk it up to eBay being a den of thieves, but he's not: He's someone respected within this community. His position as a point of authority to some holds him to a higher standard.

It's like if Nick started selling off his Gwynn collection, then after five or six years decided to branch out to selling retail bats as game ready. Everyone would be up in arms. It's no different than the sea of murk on eBay, but the community knows him.

(Nick, I'm really not picking on you: I respect your knowledge about Gwynn, and I believe others do as well, which is how I think those defending Mr Burns view his degree of authority on game used bats.)

Again, my point is that Mr Burns *is* respected within the community. I suppose that I wrongfully hold him to a higher standard than the average eBay seller.

admin_old
01-06-2015, 12:30 PM
trying to clean up this trainwreck :).

I deleted posts that appeared to violate forum policies. As a reminder, if you have a concern about a specific item, you should contact the seller prior to posting on the forum. If the seller has been contacted, please include their response (if possible) as part of your post. Some of these posts contained false information and could unfairly affect someone's livelyhood.

I've always had positive interactions with Zane, for what it's worth.

To Scott's actual topic... Have you tried excluding unwanted sellers and then saving that search, so you don't have to re-enter the seller each time? I'll play with it and see what happens.

Doug

ChicagoCubsWS
01-06-2015, 12:52 PM
I have no problem with his bats, but it is annoying when I search "Game Used Bat" and newly listed and I have to go through 500 of his listings.

metsbats
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
I'm more annoyed with searching on "game used bat" or "game used jersey" and coming back with hundreds of those game used cards:mad:

metsbats
01-06-2015, 04:05 PM
I've changed the title of the thread to reflect the question being asked.

swainer
01-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm more annoyed with searching on "game used bat" or "game used jersey" and coming back with hundreds of those game used cards:mad: +1

earlywynnfan
01-06-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm more annoyed with searching on "game used bat" or "game used jersey" and coming back with hundreds of those game used cards:mad:

YES!!!!!!!

recruiter
01-06-2015, 04:54 PM
+1

Could not agree more.

HawaiiSportsNut
01-06-2015, 05:23 PM

What what's wrong with looking through 14,000+ bats or 54,000+ jerseys. :eek:

I generally search for specific players, but even that can be a pain. :mad:

Bhawk2
01-06-2015, 08:37 PM
You can eliminate the game used cards by adding -card in your search. The "minus" search feature doesn't seem to work for seller or store names.

metsbats
01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
You can eliminate the game used cards by adding -card in your search. The "minus" search feature doesn't seem to work for seller or store names.

Thanks Bhawk2, I 'll certainly try that!

earlywynnfan
01-06-2015, 09:04 PM

That only seems to eliminate the ones that list "card" in the title. I -card, -topps, -bowman, etc. It gets old.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Can't you refine your search to just look in the game used memorabilia category?

metsbats
01-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Yes that actually works too. There are some sellers who have listed game used cards under that category but you don't see as many as before if you look under "game used memorabilia"

esquiresports
01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Yes that actually works too. There are some sellers who have listed game used cards under that category but you don't see as many as before if you look under "game used memorabilia"

You can also add -(card,Topps,Donruss,UD,Bowman) to your search, which will exclude any listings with any of these words in the title. It knocks out the vast majority of game used cards. I've found the use of the exclude symbol "-" to be one of the most useful tools on eBay.

momen55
01-11-2015, 06:58 PM
so does anyone have a solution for this? it used to work by excluding, but not now.