PDA

View Full Version : Wade Boggs Bat on Ebay

zenithsports
01-07-2015, 07:02 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wade-Boggs-HOF-Boston-Red-Sox-Game-Used-Signed-Inscribed-Baseball-Bat-JSA-LOA-/151541138704?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item23488e4510

I actually had previously purchased this bat and had to file a paypal claim to start the return.

Many concerns with the bat. Pine tar is incredibly, incredibly sticky. Almost like it was just put on in the last six months.

The ball marks were a mixture of dark blue and light blue ball marks. Basically a mixture of American League and major league baseballs.

My conclusions and opinions were it wasn't used by Boggs in the period, and despite the autograph, I wasn't comfortable that it was used by Boggs period.

metsbats
01-07-2015, 08:51 PM
You don't see many legit 91-92 Boggs Red Sox game used bats out there.

Plenty of pre 1990 Red Sox, 1993-97 Yankee and 1998-99 Devil Ray bats though.

Just an observation.

adambirenbaum
01-08-2015, 07:37 AM
I truly appreciate reading these type of threads. Very educational. If that observation is accurate about 1991-1992 GU bats, what do folks think of the following (I ask as I just got swept up in the auction frenzy and purchased it!):

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/lot-84733.aspx

Thanks in advance,
Adam

metsbats
01-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Adam

Just by going by the photos in the auction the bat seems legit.

This is based on the model number, location of the pine tar, presence of ball marks on the right side the bat, and green bat rack marks.

What is not show is the number on the knob and the way it was written.

Boggs wrote his number 26 in a particular way consistently throughout his career.

Of course the pine tar on this 22 to 23 year old bat should be dry to the touch unlike the bat on ebay.

David

metsbats
01-08-2015, 09:10 AM
I also believe cracked Boggs gamers are very rare because he was such a great hitter he rarely would swing at bad pitches or got jammed.

zenithsports
01-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Adam.

I loved that boggs gamer. Perfect boggs use characteristics with heavy clusters underneath the labeling. Looks just like my 96 WS year Boggs. I was one of the under bidders(prob drove your price up :)....you got a great bat.

Ozric
01-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Regarding the mears Boggs Sox bat, I was looking at that as well, but did not participate based on the length/weight. I thought his bats were typically 34/34.5 inches as well as being 31/32 ounces based on his prior bat orders. The bat did look legit based on the pine tar/ball marks, although I would have liked to see a pic of the numbered knob as well. I'd love to find out more about this based on it's smaller size and weight. I did win the Boggs Yanks bat though... I second guessed myself based on the 34 inch length, but thought it was worth a chance based on it's other features and the low final hammer price.

metsbats
01-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Regarding the mears Boggs Sox bat, I was looking at that as well, but did not participate based on the length/weight. I thought his bats were typically 34/34.5 inches as well as being 31/32 ounces based on his prior bat orders. The bat did look legit based on the pine tar/ball marks, although I would have liked to see a pic of the numbered knob as well. I'd love to find out more about this based on it's smaller size and weight. I did win the Boggs Yanks bat though... I second guessed myself based on the 34 inch length, but thought it was worth a chance based on it's other features and the low final hammer price.

Excellent point. Perhaps Brian,Mike or Jim C have info on Boggs 91-92 bat orders

Ozric
01-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Excellent point. Perhaps Brian,Mike or Jim C have info on Boggs 91-92 bat orders

That would be great. Like I said, the Sox bat looked great as well as the Yanks at 42. It's the size that threw me off of both of them and in particular the Sox bat. I know historically, the Boggs experts would typically shy away from anything less that 34.5/32. Seeing bats smaller than that benchmark that all appear to have the proper markings is a bit confusing. Did not mean to hijack this thread at all, might want to move it to it's own thread depending... I do agree that Boggs on Ebay definitely has it's issues.

metsbats
01-08-2015, 11:53 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=43719&highlight=Wade+Boggs+bat+orders

Here's a link to Boggs bat orders from 86-89.

Nothing under 34". Being a creature of habit I can't imagine Boggs using a 33.5 inch bat from 91-92 in my opinion.

earlywynnfan
01-08-2015, 12:15 PM
I'd be interested in measuring the bat myself; exactly 33.5" isn't good, but what if it's halfway between 33.5 and 34? That would be acceptable.

However, based on Malta's guide, Boggs did order many 34" B349's in 1991-2, but they were all cupped. No mention of any 34" uncapped models.

Ken

Ozric
01-08-2015, 01:27 PM
I found this old post that specifically references the 91-92 Sox bats.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=36818&page=2

Here is the deal on Boggs B349 (cupped end) Red Sox bats from 1991-1992:

Ordered by Boggs and shipped to him via Boston Red Sox: 209 bats, 34 and 34.5 inches in length...31 and 32 ounces in weight Flame Burned Finish

Promo / Show bats sent to Dave's Cards, Anaconda-Kaye, Jim Hawkins Promotions, Sportsservice Co., etc: 362 bats, 34 and 34.5 inches in length...no specified weight...Flame Burned Finish...

The similarity in the "26" on the knob seems pretty close, but is it reasonable (too close) for even the same person on bats that were manufactured potentially five years apart?? You'd have to check it very closely to determine ink flow, etc. You also will want to do a search on GUU forums for the ebay seller Dolphinboy...here are a couple posts to start off with:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=29372&highlight=dolphinboy (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=29372&highlight=dolphinboy)

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34716&highlight=dolphinboy (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34716&highlight=dolphinboy)

MikeJackitout7@aol.com

metsbats
01-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Looking at the Mears photo the bat looks long enough to be a 34".

Can you measure it and let us know (as Ken suggested) what the actual length is ?

earlywynnfan
01-08-2015, 02:39 PM
That MEARS bat, at least from the pics, doesn't appear to be cupped, so I believe it would need to be 34.5" to be legit.

To the OP: this is just my opinion, but when I see records where the same exact bat was available to the player and also to the public, I'd need some incredible provenance to want it in my collection. Too many Schultz's and Dolphinboys out there making gamers out of crap to ever feel safe. Boggs bats aren't that rare or costly, you might want to wait for a better model.

Troy at MEARS is excellent to talk to, he's a former collector himself. I'd suggest talking to him about this, see if he has any more insight as to why this bat was graded authentic when it doesn't match factory records.

Ken

By the way, I don't search ebay as much anymore; has Dolphinboy still been selling?

zenithsports
01-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Certainly worth a discussion with Mears regarding the length for sure. But from an overall use perspective the Boggs characteristics look outstanding to my eye.

Nnunnari
01-08-2015, 06:47 PM
The Mears bat is cupped and definitely looks legit. Mears is sloppy and frequently has typos with the model numbers, lengths etc. They were off by a number on the Frank Robinson model number.
I would be shocked if this Boggs bat is not legit, correct tar patterns on lower handle and concentration of ball marks on right barrel- I was an under bidder as well. Nice pick up!

Nnunnari
01-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Regarding the bat on eBay, that does not look good at all. Looks like a Celebz Direct special.

earlywynnfan
01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Regarding the bat on eBay, that does not look good at all. Looks like a Celebz Direct special.

My first thought, too!

metsbats
01-08-2015, 10:22 PM
I did a screen print of the Mears bat and a Yankees Boggs which was also sold in one of their auctions. The Yankee bat is 34.5 ". The Red Sox bat may actually be 34".

Notice the incredible similarities in use characteristics between both these bats!

It doesn't get any better than this.

adambirenbaum
01-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks so much for all the feedback and insight. When I get the bat, I will take pics (including the knob) and post them on the forum. I'll also try and accurately measure the bat.

Stay tuned . . .

adambirenbaum
01-08-2015, 11:59 PM
I have also gone ahead and emailed Tony at Mears, per your suggestion.

MSpecht
01-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Here is some useful information from our friend Andy Benish:

http://vintagebats.com/featurepageWadeBoggs.htm

adambirenbaum
01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
I received the Boggs bat today and it sure appears gorgeous.

Troy from Mears had written me back (great responsiveness) and apologized for the confusion and said he personally went and looked at the bat and measured it - and that is was much closer to 34 inches. I measured it tonight and to my untrained eye it is 1/16th (maybe 1/8th) of an inch short of 34 inches. Troy also proactively issued me a full graded letter where he graded it a 9. As for the weight, his comment was that while the shipping records are helpful and important, all they truly do is tell you what a bat weighed when it was made and shipped and that 15 years later, there is most likely to be a drop in weight - but that he apparently did not have a concern. Finally, he expressed that he wanted me to be 100% satisfied and to return the bat if there was any concern.

In any event, while my knowledge of authenticity is small, for anyone who transacts with Troy/Mears, I certainly was extremely pleased with their client service mindset.

Here is a picture of the knob - what do folks think?

metsbats
01-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I think the numbers match up to the styles presented on Andy's website and given the length is very close to 34" you have yourself a nice bat.

Troy and Mears are great in making sure their customers are happy. I've had many good dealings with him over the years.

Congrats!

TwinLakesPark
01-14-2015, 10:22 AM
In any event, while my knowledge of authenticity is small, for anyone who transacts with Troy/Mears, I certainly was extremely pleased with their client service mindset.

+1

Troy is excellent to work with and very responsive; I have had great dealings with him in the past.