PDA

View Full Version : (Stolen Package) Please be on the lookout!

Wrigley2010
01-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Just want to give all my GUU brethren a heads up to please be on the lookout for these game used cleats. The missing cleats are a pair of autographed Dilson Herrera gamers with Mead Chasky Holograms. The cleats were shipped via USPS on December 4th with signature confirmation and a notice of attempted delivery was left on December 7th. Several attempts to pick the package up at the Post Office all failed. It's funny because I won these for such an insanely cheap amount ($50) that USPS refunded the standard priority insurance rate of $50 within two days of my claim being filed. The hardest part for me is knowing I got such a ridiculously great price on these and I'll never be able to add them to my collection.

I have honestly never dealt with more incompetence in my entire life as I have with the DeKalb Illinois Post Office. On top of that I am new to the area and this has definitely made me apprehensive to have anything shipped via USPS. To add insult to injury on my last visit the lady at the counter recognized her handwriting on the notice left for me, so she was the original delivery person. She could have cared less it was just another day in small town USA for her and selling a book of stamps to the lady behind me was a higher priority. It took everything in me to keep calm and not let her have it. I don't want to blow off too much steam here because this situation has left me very sour and I know some of you have lost much more valuable packages. Anyways, here are some photos. Please hit me up if anyone see's these surface!

atomic912s
01-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Bummer....... USPS once lost a Jared Allen gamer of mine, lucky for me it turned up about 2 weeks later.....

danesei@yahoo.com
01-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Wrigley, sorry to hear about your loss, but legally, they're no longer yours. The moment USPS paid out the claim, they became property of USPS and/or their insurance company. I hope they're found, but you'll have a problem claiming ownership at this point, unfortunately. :(

Wrigley2010
01-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Wrigley, sorry to hear about your loss, but legally, they're no longer yours. The moment USPS paid out the claim, they became property of USPS and/or their insurance company. I hope they're found, but you'll have a problem claiming ownership at this point, unfortunately. :(

While you are correct in stating "they are no longer mine" your assumption that I'll have a problem claiming ownership if they're found is completely false. USPS has a "recovered article clause" that gives the claim payee the right to reimburse the claim amount to the USPS and take ownership of their package.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-10-2015, 04:48 PM
While you are correct in stating "they are no longer mine" your assumption that I'll have a problem claiming ownership if they're found is completely false. USPS has a "recovered article clause" that gives the claim payee the right to reimburse the claim amount to the USPS and take ownership of their package.

Correct, but it's unlikely that they'll notify you about a $50 item being found. They'll likely just auction it off at their lost parcel auction.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-10-2015, 04:53 PM
To clarify... by the time the public sees the cleats, they'll already have been sold by the USPS at the lost parcel auction, so I should have said that someone seeing the cleats wouldn't help you, as they'd already be the property of the individual selling them. They would no longer be considered stolen, unless you filed a theft claim with your local police. That said, I don't know if you can really do that now that you've already been paid out by the USPS insurance. Logistically, it'd be nearly impossible to reclaim ownership of the cleats, if they were indeed stolen. The only way you'd get them back would be if the package was lost in a USPS facility or truck. Once the package is opened, I'm not sure that any sort of a claim can really be made.

Wrigley2010
01-10-2015, 05:35 PM
So you're saying that if the USPS finds my package intact they will decide it's not worth contacting the addressee because the claim paid was a mere $50? If the claim was a $1000 then I would be contacted? I can with 100% certainty say this is false as well. I have one of the best resources available, a mother who is a retired Postmaster.

As for the public seeing the cleats after a transfer ownership was made. That scenario is entirely possible but theft is the scenario that concerns me and was the sole reason for opening this thread.

These are just a pair $50 cleats so my concern is meager to say the least. The only reason I am being so "long winded" with this matter is that I feel some of the information in this thread is incorrect and misleading.

Here is the article on recovered packages copied directly from the USPS website:

5.7 Recovered Article

If a lost registered, insured, COD, or Priority Mail Express article is recovered after payment of a claim, the payee may accept the article and reimburse the USPS for the full amount paid if the article is undamaged. If the article is damaged, has depreciated, or has missing contents, the payee may accept it and reimburse the USPS in an amount set by the Consumer Advocate, USPS Headquarters.

EricTheRed44
01-10-2015, 05:52 PM
So you're saying that if the USPS finds my package intact they will decide it's not worth contacting the addressee because the claim paid was a mere $50? If the claim was a $1000 then I would be contacted? I can with 100% certainty say this is false as well. I have one of the best resources available, a mother who is a retired Postmaster.

As for the public seeing the cleats after a transfer ownership was made. That scenario is entirely possible but theft is the scenario that concerns me and was the sole reason for opening this thread.

These are just a pair $50 cleats so my concern is meager to say the least. The only reason I am being so "long winded" with this matter is that I feel some of the information in this thread is incorrect and misleading.

Here is the article on recovered packages copied directly from the USPS website:

5.7 Recovered Article

If a lost registered, insured, COD, or Priority Mail Express article is recovered after payment of a claim, the payee may accept the article and reimburse the USPS for the full amount paid if the article is undamaged. If the article is damaged, has depreciated, or has missing contents, the payee may accept it and reimburse the USPS in an amount set by the Consumer Advocate, USPS Headquarters.

I've read other cases on this site where they've auctioned off the stolen/recovered (or misplaced) items and it's been an impossible battle to get the item back. Best of luck but the odds arent in your favor.

yanks12025
01-10-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm confused, can you clear up the details.

Was the package stolen or misplaced? You mentioned they left a door notice because it has to be signed for. So it should have been returned to the post office and sat there till you picked it up.

So did they deliever it without a signature or you're saying a USPS worker stole it or they misplaced it when they brought it back to the post office. Could it have been returned to the sender???

Wrigley2010
01-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I've read other cases on this site where they've auctioned off the stolen/recovered (or misplaced) items and it's been an impossible battle to get the item back. Best of luck but the odds arent in your favor.

You're correct if my item makes its way to Atlanta or one of the other USPS lost package recovery centers I am most certainly up the proverbial creek. If the package is still sitting at it's destination PO and it's found then I have recourse. When I spoke with the clerk at the PO he stated it's not unusual for an item to turn up after a claim has been paid in which they always contact the addressee. Was he blowing smoke up my #$% well that I don't know.

My only other experience similar to this was one where I shipped some autographed baseballs that took two months to reach their destination which was only two states away. I would not be surprised one bit if these just all of a sudden show up like those autographs did.

Wrigley2010
01-10-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm confused, can you clear up the details.

Was the package stolen or misplaced? You mentioned they left a door notice because it has to be signed for. So it should have been returned to the post office and sat there till you picked it up.

So did they deliver it without a signature or you're saying a USPS worker stole it or they misplaced it when they brought it back to the post office. Could it have been returned to the sender???

Has not been returned to the sender. I have been in contact with him weekly on the matter and I am told I will be contacted immediately if the item is returned to him. Chances of the item being returned are slim to none seeing as how a claim was paid out.

Your guess is as good as mine if it was stolen or misplaced. I obviously have no way of knowing what has actually happened with the package. They did leave a door notice actually they left two another one 14 days after the first. Yes, it was returned to the post office per the notice left but did it end up on another customers stoop by accident? Did a USPS employee take it home with them? Every visit I made to the PO to pick this package up which was roughly 5 or 6 times had the same outcome, could not find it. Keep in mind these visits were all made during the Xmas rush so standing in 30 minute lines and dealing with disgruntled employees didn't help matters.

EricTheRed44
01-10-2015, 07:01 PM
You're correct if my item makes its way to Atlanta or one of the other USPS lost package recovery centers I am most certainly up the proverbial creek. If the package is still sitting at it's destination PO and it's found then I have recourse. When I spoke with the clerk at the PO he stated it's not unusual for an item to turn up after a claim has been paid in which they always contact the addressee. Was he blowing smoke up my #$% well that I don't know.

My only other experience similar to this was one where I shipped some autographed baseballs that took two months to reach their destination which was only two states away. I would not be surprised one bit if these just all of a sudden show up like those autographs did.

I shipped something once that showed up delivered (which it wasn't) and the guy messaged me angry that nothing arrived. Two weeks later the package showed up at his doorstep. Hopefully it somehow makes it to you.

Wrigley2010
01-31-2015, 12:01 AM
I figured I'd update this thread because the lost package was found. It was shipped back to the sender even though USPS paid an insurance claim on it. Tracking was updated and said the package was unclaimed at my local USPS so it was returned to sender. If all goes well (fingers crossed) I should have the cleats in my possession sometime next week.

Kudos to eBay seller jhustle1 who was great to work with throughout.

Brandon's Bats
01-31-2015, 12:20 AM
I'm sure they will find their way back to you. I had a similar experience with a Cronin sealed baseball that was delivered to the wrong address by UPS. My idiot neighbor decided to open the package. Once he seen what was inside (I guess the idiot can't read) and thinking it had no value, he delivered it to me. Still fuming as I recall this incident.

Wrigley2010
01-31-2015, 01:26 AM
I'm sure they will find their way back to you. I had a similar experience with a Cronin sealed baseball that was delivered to the wrong address by UPS. My idiot neighbor decided to open the package. Once he seen what was inside (I guess the idiot can't read) and thinking it had no value, he delivered it to me. Still fuming as I recall this incident.

Brandon, I hope they do find their way to my home safe and sound. I have zero confidence in my local PO so I won't hold my breath. So your neighbor opened a sealed Cronin Ball or just opened the package it was sent in?? If he broke the seal on the baseball I'd be furious.

Brandon's Bats
01-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Brandon, I hope they do find their way to my home safe and sound. I have zero confidence in my local PO so I won't hold my breath. So your neighbor opened a sealed Cronin Ball or just opened the package it was sent in?? If he broke the seal on the baseball I'd be furious.

The idiot opened both the box used to ship it and the original Cronin baseball box. I was, and still am furious. Anyway, I hope it all works out for you soon. Good luck!!!

danesei@yahoo.com
01-31-2015, 06:14 PM

Did you call UPS to file a claim? If they delivered to both the wrong address and person, you could claim that you didn't receive the package intact.

Brandon's Bats
02-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Did you call UPS to file a claim? If they delivered to both the wrong address and person, you could claim that you didn't receive the package intact.

Yes, the seller got the opened ball box back and I got a refund.

danesei@yahoo.com
02-02-2015, 01:43 AM
I figured I'd update this thread because the lost package was found. It was shipped back to the sender even though USPS paid an insurance claim on it. Tracking was updated and said the package was unclaimed at my local USPS so it was returned to sender. If all goes well (fingers crossed) I should have the cleats in my possession sometime next week.

Kudos to eBay seller jhustle1 who was great to work with throughout.

Did you return the $50 to the USPS?

Brandon's Bats
02-05-2015, 11:06 PM
Did you return the $50 to the USPS?

Not sure what the seller worked out. I didn't have to return anything. On a side note, my issue was with UPS.

Brandon's Bats
02-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Not sure what the seller worked out. I didn't have to return anything. On a side note, my issue was with UPS.

Sorry, assumed the question was directed to me.