PDA

View Full Version : BMH: Some serious help needed if you could

EricTheRed44
01-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Hello Brian,

I have been putting together a 1990 game used Cincinnati Reds collection. Bats are from various years not just the 90 year (as long as its with their time with Reds).

I have about 24 thus far but really only need pitchers and two other role players from that season. I was wondering if you could tell me if they actually had their own bats with you guys or not.

Players are:

Paul Noce
Glenn Sutko

Pitchers are:
Jack Armstrong
Scott Scudder
Ron Robinson
Tim Birtsas
Tim Layana
Gino Minutelli
Kip Gross
Rosario Rodriguez

I am just trying to find out if I'm chasing ghosts or if they actually have bats that have their own names on them. I know it's asking a lot but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks as always for your time and hope all is well!

Joe

GoTigers
01-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Hey Joe, I've been in a similar situation before. What I ended up doing was going to baseball reference, and finding the offensive game logs for that player and year.. Just looking at Jack Armstrong, he had AB's in 29 games in 1990 and it lists the dates, etc. From there you can start an image search. If some of the guys are RP's or only played part of a season it really narrows the focus. Hopefully BMH can get you some good info, but I hope that helps if you need a backup plan.

EricTheRed44
01-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Hey Joe, I've been in a similar situation before. What I ended up doing was going to baseball reference, and finding the offensive game logs for that player and year.. Just looking at Jack Armstrong, he had AB's in 29 games in 1990 and it lists the dates, etc. From there you can start an image search. If some of the guys are RP's or only played part of a season it really narrows the focus. Hopefully BMH can get you some good info, but I hope that helps if you need a backup plan.

Thanks for the idea! I have tried photo searching to match bats before and have done simple searches but hadn't tried to line up the game date and photos with the lesser known players. I'm still amazed Keith Brown (relief pitcher for Reds) had a bat with his own name. He only had 6 ABs in his career.

Thanks for the advice,
Joe

ndevlin
01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Also keep in mind that for the WS, every player was probably issued 2 bats, including pitchers.

So if for some reason they really didn't order a bat, then you know they probably have a WS bat you can look out for. At least it exist.

EricTheRed44
01-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Also keep in mind that for the WS, every player was probably issued 2 bats, including pitchers.

So if for some reason they really didn't order a bat, then you know they probably have a WS bat you can look out for. At least it exist.

Thanks Nate, I didnt think of the World Series bats. A few of them were on the playoff/WS roster. Someone like Rosario Rodriguez I highly doubt had his own bat but you never know until someone like Brian tells you he did or didnt.

Thanks

soxbats
01-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Joe, with regard to the non-pitchers I would be stunned if they did not have their own bat. In my experience, particularly before the mid 2000s even the most obscure role players had bats with their name in the minors. Recently the teams have started ordering more pro stock but I was able to get a player name bat from every non pitcher who played for the red sox for the 80s the 90s and the 2000s with only two exceptions and one guy crossed the line during the strike and then became a pitcher. Keep looking, set a name search on ebay, they will pop up. good luck!

follow me on twitter @soxbats

EricTheRed44
01-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Joe, with regard to the non-pitchers I would be stunned if they did not have their own bat. In my experience, particularly before the mid 2000s even the most obscure role players had bats with their name in the minors. Recently the teams have started ordering more pro stock but I was able to get a player name bat from every non pitcher who played for the red sox for the 80s the 90s and the 2000s with only two exceptions and one guy crossed the line during the strike and then became a pitcher. Keep looking, set a name search on ebay, they will pop up. good luck!

follow me on twitter @soxbats

Thanks Sox. Still no luck tracking down any guys on the list. I know Sutko used Benzingers bat and Todd had mentioned to someone that he wasn't even sure if Sutko had his own or not. Its always interesting trying to track them down, just would be helpful if I knew if they existed or not.

bravesfanjd
01-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks Sox. Still no luck tracking down any guys on the list. I know Sutko used Benzingers bat and Todd had mentioned to someone that he wasn't even sure if Sutko had his own or not. Its always interesting trying to track them down, just would be helpful if I knew if they existed or not.

Have you ever tried to track down the actual players themselves and see if they had anything they would be willing to part with or information that might help you?

EricTheRed44
01-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Have you ever tried to track down the actual players themselves and see if they had anything they would be willing to part with or information that might help you?

Ive only tried Sutko thus far. Will try to track some of them down but havent looked into it yet. Thanks for the thought.

BMH
02-28-2015, 07:04 AM
I'm Arizona at the moment and about to leave to see the Indians. I will try and finish up when I get more time. Here are the first four players with records from us.

BMH
02-28-2015, 07:04 AM
The second one is Glenn Sutko.

EricTheRed44
03-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks a lot Brian!

Was hoping Noce and Sutko had at least a few out there. If you ever get a chance at the others it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me know I'm not chasing after ghosts at least with the 4 you informed me on.

Thanks again!

Joe