PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Brandon's Bats
01-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Just a newbie to the forum, but I wanted to introduce myself. I have been a longtime collector of baseball memorabilia, but a few years ago I decided that I was in a better position to go after some 'bucket list' items and veered off course a bit from recent player items. I began searching for and purchasing vintage/historical pieces. I ended up buying a Ruth/Cobb dual signed baseball and soon thereafter I actually purchased a Lou Gehrig GU bat. Later I picked up several baseball historical pieces made up primarily of players such as Satchel Paige, Roberto Clemente, Williams, Maris, Mantle, DiMaggio and Jackie Robinson.

I later found an excellent opportunity to make a VERY large profit and I sold the Gehrig bat. This decision still haunts me to this day. I took it as a learning experience and decided unless I am a severe state of desperation, my vintage pieces will be passed on to my beautiful son.

I am an advocate of PSA/DNA and James Spence. So much so that I NEVER make a large purchase without one or both of their opinions. Nothing is fail safe, but I have found them to be very reliable.

I look forward to being an active participant on this forum and I am still a large collector of newer items. I hope to continue to remain active in a such a wonderful hobby and I hope to provide some guidance and education when the opportunity presents itself.

sportsnbikes
01-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Welcome!!

onlyalbert
01-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Great stuff man! Welcome aboard. This forum can use more members like you!

Brandon's Bats
01-17-2015, 11:59 PM
Thank you both for the welcome.

64SHEA
01-18-2015, 04:54 AM
Welcome!

Sounds like you have some awesome stuff, you should post some photos when you have a chance.

Brandon's Bats
01-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Welcome!

Sounds like you have some awesome stuff, you should post some photos when you have a chance.

Very possible. I will snap a few shots next visit to the safe deposit boxes.

admin_old
01-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Welcome Brandon! We have had several great new members join lately. It's always nice to welcome enthusiasts, both experienced and beginners.

JDF5244
01-18-2015, 02:35 PM
…yes, photos would be IDEAL!

Brandon's Bats
01-18-2015, 03:49 PM
After reading some of the threads, this one included; it is apparent that we all love photos. Here are some of me and my son's man cave surrounded by our favorite players memorabilia. I have run out of room, so I have invested in a 900 lb. safe to house some of our more Important bats in our collection. The very high end stuff lives in safe deposit boxes. Our beautiful wife and mom supports our hobby. Enjoy...

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc791a7dd.jpg
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf8a0124a.jpg
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps50c38005.jpg
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps60d8b2e5.jpg
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/KR09/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsad364173.jpg

sox83cubs84
01-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Welcome along, Brandon....you shoud enjoy the ride.

Dave Miedema

Wrigley2010
01-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Our beautiful wife and mom supports our hobby. Enjoy...

The most important part of our great hobby... having a partner who "gets it."

Welcome to the forum Brandon!

danesei@yahoo.com
01-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Nice collection. Anyway, regarding the safe and safe deposit boxes, just keep in mind that most safes are fire-retarding, and they have some chemical or hydration to reduce inhibit fires. That might not be the best environment for things that might be subject to issues with mold/mildew (balls & jerseys). The same general concept applies to safe deposit boxes, which are designed to protect documents and cloth-based papers. The point being, check with your bank on their atmospherics inside the safe deposit vault and consider how that will affect your collectibles long-term.

Brandon's Bats
01-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Nice collection. Anyway, regarding the safe and safe deposit boxes, just keep in mind that most safes are fire-retarding, and they have some chemical or hydration to reduce inhibit fires. That might not be the best environment for things that might be subject to issues with mold/mildew (balls & jerseys). The same general concept applies to safe deposit boxes, which are designed to protect documents and cloth-based papers. The point being, check with your bank on their atmospherics inside the safe deposit vault and consider how that will affect your collectibles long-term.

Thank you for the welcome and compliment on the collection. I haven't had any issues thus far. The baseballs and bats have been fine for several years now, and they are not exposed to any excess humidity which would invite mold and mildew. My reason for safe deposit boxes is simply to remove all light and to provide a secure location to store them.