PDA

View Full Version : Getting Prints from Getty, AP, etc.

rudyjj18
01-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Good Morning All,

I'm going to be buying a few GU hats and want to put a print of the player wearing the hat next to the items when displayed. Looking to get a few prints from the Getty database. How would I go about doing this? When I tried to calculate a price to buy the rights to the image, pricing was insane. Any recommendations? Has anyone had any success by contacting the photographer directly?

I looked on Photofile and MLB's photo store, but the selection of images was poor and didn't have any images of the particular game/dates I needed.

Thanks in advance!
Rudy

IronPigs92
01-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I asked the Flyers photographer about this once. He told me he can't send you anything. All of the photos he takes are property of the Flyers. He even has to turn down some family members of the players, cause they ask him for photos of their family member from a game. The example he used was the players NHL debut, and he couldn't give them anything.

I photo matched a stick to a photo on Getty. But then when I went on the Flyers website, they had an album of photos from the game I was looking for and they were the Getty images, but without the watermark. :)

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/Jonathan91Wagon/65997CD6-686B-4209-A1F3-CFDA5EAD0738.jpg (http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Jonathan91Wagon/media/65997CD6-686B-4209-A1F3-CFDA5EAD0738.jpg.html)

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/Jonathan91Wagon/F6F34C1B-3592-40E1-A346-F26CF83AF9AB.jpg (http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Jonathan91Wagon/media/F6F34C1B-3592-40E1-A346-F26CF83AF9AB.jpg.html)

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Steiner Photo Store...probably your only shot.

PwKw13
01-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Photo File can normally add requested Getty Images to the site if the photo Credit states "Staff" or "Stringer". Send me an e-mail if you want more information.

- Ken
woltersk@embarqmail.com

danesei@yahoo.com
01-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Photographers can't sell images owned by Getty, as they've already relinquished the rights to them. I would contact Getty directly and explain what you want to do. They might accommodate you. Then again, probably not.

Honestly, if you go through any other route to print images owned by Getty, you'd be committing copyright infringement.

BVC
01-19-2015, 05:09 PM
It's very frustrating - AP will let you request a print or scan, but they will never sell it to you. Every time I get the response that it's owned by MLB or the NFL. Even a 1924 image of Ty Cobb.

Another avenue is to make note of the photographer, google to get their contact information, then ask if they will send you a scan. They can't sell you an image, but I was once given a beautiful print, gratis. Also was once able to get an enlarged scan of only the piece of equipment I was trying to photo-match.

Be very, very pleasant when exploring such options :)

Beckster24
01-19-2015, 05:38 PM
I am in the same boat was after some images on getty they aren't clear enough to use as a photomatch would love to get a higher resolution image to use for photomatch purposes only

jscott0688
01-19-2015, 06:00 PM
I would suggest contacting photofile and asking for the photos to be added to the website. You can then buy an 8x10 print for $9.99. They have been very good about doing that for me.

Beckster24
01-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for that had a look on there but nothing of Varitek

I would suggest contacting photofile and asking for the photos to be added to the website. You can then buy an 8x10 print for $9.99. They have been very good about doing that for me.

PwKw13
01-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for that had a look on there but nothing of Varitek

They have to do separate deals with retired players, so all retired players aren't available. Again, if you see a Getty Image that you would like, send the image number to them to see if they have rights to it. If they do, they'll add it to their website.

Beckster24
01-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I sent an email with a list of the numbers from getty that I was after but unfortunately they said don't have license agreement with Varitek to allow them to post photos on their site, guess will have to put up with the low res ones with watermarks on them

They have to do separate deals with retired players, so all retired players aren't available. Again, if you see a Getty Image that you would like, send the image number to them to see if they have rights to it. If they do, they'll add it to their website.

lengthwise1
01-20-2015, 04:57 PM
I agree on photofile, had some luck getting photos to match 4 or 5 jerseys. good luck!

metsbats
01-21-2015, 10:59 PM
This post is to just reiterate GUU's stance on soliciting and offering Getty, AP,etc prints from individuals who do not have the right to resell or distribute those images. There have been many new threads and posts soliciting and offering Getty photos and these types of posts are strictly prohibited.

Please read the following.

Just so it is clear, it is my understanding that to acquire images you must purchase the right to do so from Getty. It is also my understanding that those who do have the right to acquire images CANNOT resell or distribute those images.

Just want to make sure it is clear that GUU does not advocate the redistribution, any form, of a licensed product like Getty.

If anyone has any questions, I suggest you visit the Getty Images website and review the terms and conditions to acquire their images.

-Chris