PDA

View Full Version : I would have taken the $20k...

Jags Fan Dan
01-20-2015, 02:48 PM
how ' bout you?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fan-who-caught-winning-seattle-td-ball-turned-down--20-000-133759321.html

michaellechner
01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Without thinking twice.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
I don't think the ball is that great. It would be a lot cooler if they weren't handed the game with about 5 idiot mistakes by the Packers. If this was a hard fought game my view is different...but they were handed that win.

It is like bragging about the nice car you have when mommy and daddy bought it for you.

I am taking the $20,000 or I might take the WRs offer if it includes the GU jersey from that game and he pays for my trip to the super bowl(good seats, air travel, and hotel).

Chess2899
01-20-2015, 03:45 PM
It will worth less than $500 in a few years.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-20-2015, 04:08 PM
I think, given the locality and fanbase, if the Seahawks end up winning SB 49, it could be "worth" $5k-$8k in a couple years, due to the "dynasty" implications. What I don't get (based on the article) is why someone in that much legal trouble would decline $20k. I could see if he's a super fan and just wants something tied to the team, but with $20k, he could buy a lot of memorabilia.

Maybe he's holding out for Wilson's jersey and helmet from the game. ;)

nevrdiez34
01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
I don't think the ball is that great. It would be a lot cooler if they weren't handed the game with about 5 idiot mistakes by the Packers. If this was a hard fought game my view is different...but they were handed that win.

It is like bragging about the nice car you have when mommy and daddy bought it for you.

I am taking the $20,000 or I might take the WRs offer if it includes the GU jersey from that game and he pays for my trip to the super bowl(good seats, air travel, and hotel).

You must be a Packers fan.

sox83cubs84
01-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Personally, I would've taken it. The further the game rushes into the past, the less the excitement of the item will be evident, and the value will drop. It kind of reminds me of a guy at Wrigley Field who caught a couple of Sammy Sosa game HRs during the three 60-HR seasons Sam-Me had. He didn't sell them, and now would have trouble gettin 10-20% of his initial asking prices.

Dave Miedema

sportsnbikes
01-21-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm sure the guy just doesn't have the memorabilia knowledge to know he's making a mistake.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-21-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm sure the guy just doesn't have the memorabilia knowledge to know he's making a mistake.

In the guys defense he looks like a huge Seahawks fan and caught the ball. How many people do you know that have caught an NFL football at a game? Might be priceless in this guy's mind. I hope he still feels that way in 10 years when it is worth 5-10k and it has authenticity issues.

Jags Fan Dan
01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
I know a lot of you guys follow auctions way more closely than I do. Have there been any historic footballs sell for a lot of money recently?

3arod13
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
I think if Seattle wins the Super Bowl, then that's a great ball. If not, not so much.

BVC
01-21-2015, 12:24 PM
The statements dis'ing what the Seahawks did are just plain ridiculous.

Regarding the ball's value, $10,000+ easy. It's arguable the most important play in Seattle history, so there will be a huge market for it. Given that the kid is unemployed and heading for jail, yes - sell it. If I had caught it, I would not be selling it, even for $20,000. If you don't need the money, and something's important to you, keep it. Could be there's a day when you are ready to do something philanthropic - can you imagine what a ball like that would bring at the right charity auction, in Seattle?

3arod13
01-21-2015, 01:19 PM
It's arguable the most important play in Seattle history, so there will be a huge market for it.

I agree, but only in Seattle.

3arod13
01-21-2015, 01:22 PM
I think if Seattle wins the Super Bowl, then that's a great ball. If not, not so much.

And not taking anything away from what Seattle did. That was one of the greatest comebacks to win a game!!!

danesei@yahoo.com
01-21-2015, 02:47 PM
The closest parallel of the ball *might* be "The Catch" by Dwight Clark. It's not entirely the same, as that preceded their first victory, but it's the closest reasonable comparison.

Also, from what I've been seeing reported, the fan intends to return the ball to Kearse, which is why he wouldn't take the $20k (or any amount, supposedly). Now, I want the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to offer $700k and see if the young man still refuses to sell. ;)

In other news about footballs...

With the Patriots supposedly on the hook for under-inflated footballs in the AFC title game, what does this do for legacy? Does Brady now get deemed a cheater, along with Belichick?

Also, with the penalty for a single infraction at $25k, would each of the 11 balls be counted as a separate infraction? Is there an escalator for penalties?

I understand that the NFL doesn't really vacate titles (unlike the NCAA), but there are two weeks before the SB. Couldn't the NFL simply say the Patriots were caught cheating in the AFC Title game, so they lose the game? I understand that's a high-leverage penalty, but Belichick has made it clear that he doesn't care about rules. If not for a forfeit-type penalty, the only way I see this working is:

$275k fine ($25k*11) & all SB/AFC title revenue forfeited to the NFL to be used to help with the huge legal battle ahead re: concussed players (which, I also don't entirely agree is the NFL's fault, but that's a discussion I don't really care to go into).

Belichick banned from holding any position within the league. This would be akin to Rose's ban from MLB.

Patriots forfeit first & second round picks from 2015-2020. If the Patriots should have a top-10 selection in any year, they shall also forfeit their third round pick. The Patriots shall be banned from trading for any selections in the first 100 picks of any draft from 2015-2020.

Yes, all of that seems severe, but I really think anything less will simply be laughed at by the Patriots organization.

Phil316
01-24-2015, 03:28 AM
The guy ended up trading it for Kearse s jersey he wore in the game. Kearse was also fined 5 grand for throwing the ball into the stands.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-24-2015, 04:49 PM
The closest parallel of the ball *might* be "The Catch" by Dwight Clark. It's not entirely the same, as that preceded their first victory, but it's the closest reasonable comparison.

Also, from what I've been seeing reported, the fan intends to return the ball to Kearse, which is why he wouldn't take the $20k (or any amount, supposedly). Now, I want the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to offer $700k and see if the young man still refuses to sell. ;)

In other news about footballs...

With the Patriots supposedly on the hook for under-inflated footballs in the AFC title game, what does this do for legacy? Does Brady now get deemed a cheater, along with Belichick?

Also, with the penalty for a single infraction at $25k, would each of the 11 balls be counted as a separate infraction? Is there an escalator for penalties?

I understand that the NFL doesn't really vacate titles (unlike the NCAA), but there are two weeks before the SB. Couldn't the NFL simply say the Patriots were caught cheating in the AFC Title game, so they lose the game? I understand that's a high-leverage penalty, but Belichick has made it clear that he doesn't care about rules. If not for a forfeit-type penalty, the only way I see this working is:

$275k fine ($25k*11) & all SB/AFC title revenue forfeited to the NFL to be used to help with the huge legal battle ahead re: concussed players (which, I also don't entirely agree is the NFL's fault, but that's a discussion I don't really care to go into).

Belichick banned from holding any position within the league. This would be akin to Rose's ban from MLB.

Patriots forfeit first & second round picks from 2015-2020. If the Patriots should have a top-10 selection in any year, they shall also forfeit their third round pick. The Patriots shall be banned from trading for any selections in the first 100 picks of any draft from 2015-2020.

Yes, all of that seems severe, but I really think anything less will simply be laughed at by the Patriots organization.

The balls were deflated great...but did they get deflated before or after the Refs checked them? Because if the Refs allowed them I don't see how you blame the Patriots for it. It is the Refs responsibility to check the balls.

Now if somehow these balls were deflated after the inspection I have seen enough of Belichick. He would go down as another guy who could have been great, but instead cheated multiple times to taint his career.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-24-2015, 06:57 PM
The balls were deflated great...but did they get deflated before or after the Refs checked them? Because if the Refs allowed them I don't see how you blame the Patriots for it. It is the Refs responsibility to check the balls.

Now if somehow these balls were deflated after the inspection I have seen enough of Belichick. He would go down as another guy who could have been great, but instead cheated multiple times to taint his career.

According to the NFL investigation so far, the balls were within standard to during the pre-game check by the referees. That said, somehow the first half balls were deemed underinflated, but the second half balls were found to be within standard. Does this mean each half uses a different batch or the balls were reinflated prior to the second half?

sox83cubs84
01-24-2015, 10:20 PM
After the conference championships, I initially declared that I would take a pass on the Super Bowl due to both teams being from blue states. After this, I have taken a mulligan and have decided to pull for the Seahawks. The team may be from one of the furthest left-wing cities in the nation, but at least they don't cheat!

Dave Miedema

chargeralaska
01-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Interesting story...

I don't usually let random politics interfere with which sports team I enjoy or don't. I just can't imagine not collecting or only collecting based on the surroundings of the political minds in the city the team I like is based in or not in.

But every collector collects what they like for the reasons they like--I just hadn't thought about politics being involved in worth/value before. I always thought Chicago was a blue region, but perhaps I am misinformed.

Good luck to both teams in the Super Bowl.

chargeralaska
01-25-2015, 02:40 AM
I mean no offense other than just commenting on the specific comment. I live in a very, very, very Red state. I just hadn't ever thought to dissect what players do in their personal time (as long as it's not beating their spouse or murdering people etc. ) or what players do by playing in the region they have been selected to play in/agreed to play in bearing weight on the worth of the item at hand. I'll bet I own some items from players that do not agree with my own perception of morality and life as well as players that do line up with what I feel is right.

I collect the team/players I like and based on the stats that coincide with it.

I am saying to not collect based on region is valid--it just hadn't occurred to me to do that.

Can't wait for next football season!

both-teams-played-hard
01-25-2015, 12:33 PM
After the conference championships, I initially declared that I would take a pass on the Super Bowl due to both teams being from blue states.
Dave Miedema

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/both-teams-played-hard/babyface.0.gif

chargeralaska
01-25-2015, 02:47 PM
I didn't mean to take this original thread in to a different area--we all collect and root for what we like for our own reasons!

I don't think ANY modern game ball is worth $20,000 initially--If I were in that guys position I would probably go with cash, but it seems that he may be a true fan of the Seahawks and wanted to get the ball back to Kearse or the team.

That $20,000 could buy a lot of Kearse GU jerseys though... :)

sox83cubs84
01-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Interesting story...

I don't usually let random politics interfere with which sports team I enjoy or don't. I just can't imagine not collecting or only collecting based on the surroundings of the political minds in the city the team I like is based in or not in.

But every collector collects what they like for the reasons they like--I just hadn't thought about politics being involved in worth/value before. I always thought Chicago was a blue region, but perhaps I am misinformed.

Good luck to both teams in the Super Bowl.

You're correct about Chicago, but I'm not of a blue mindset.

Dave M.

seanbaseball
01-26-2015, 10:16 PM
After the conference championships, I initially declared that I would take a pass on the Super Bowl due to both teams being from blue states. After this, I have taken a mulligan and have decided to pull for the Seahawks. The team may be from one of the furthest left-wing cities in the nation, but at least they don't cheat!

Dave Miedema

Curious if this is due to social or economic policies?

sox83cubs84
01-27-2015, 10:34 PM
As stated in the original post (which was edited in a later post), the Patriots CHEAT, while the Seahawks don't appear to. That's why I'll be supporting the Seahawks now.

Dave M.

seanbaseball
01-27-2015, 11:04 PM
As stated in the original post (which was edited in a later post), the Patriots CHEAT, while the Seahawks don't appear to. That's why I'll be supporting the Seahawks now.

Dave M.

I agree completely. Thats why the Rams lost to them in the Superbowl!

Neely8
01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
I agree completely. Thats why the Rams lost to them in the Superbowl!

And I'm a Rams fan and I'm still pissed, even more so because I was at that game!!

BVC
01-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Dave M.

I was at the game and I'm a Seahawks fan;however, this football is kind of interesting. Perhaps the Patriot players simply squeezed the extra 2psi out of the balls?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89633&stc=1&d=1422492427

3arod13
02-02-2015, 04:49 AM

As I stated before, not so much!

danesei@yahoo.com
02-02-2015, 05:50 AM
I was at the game and I'm a Seahawks fan;however, this football is kind of interesting. Perhaps the Patriot players simply squeezed the extra 2psi out of the balls?

To be honest, that ball that you show could have easily been 13-14 psi. That ball is being squeezed. Now, if it looked like that sitting on the ground... that's how 9-10 psi looks.

urzaworld
02-02-2015, 12:37 PM
As I stated before, not so much!

Legion of Bums

urzaworld
02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Now on the other hand, the last play Butler interception ball is worth the 20K and more.

Jags Fan Dan
02-02-2015, 02:51 PM
And while we're talking "I would have"s, I would have run it with Lynch.

akrover
02-02-2015, 08:55 PM
And I'm a Rams fan and I'm still pissed, even more so because I was at that game!!

I hope neither of you are being remotely serious.

tiger7171
02-03-2015, 10:52 AM
did he go to jail yesterday?

danesei@yahoo.com
02-03-2015, 02:37 PM
did he go to jail yesterday?

My understanding was he had a court appearance the day after the SB. If he was supposed to report to jail to serve a sentence, then the SB tickets would have been irrelevant, since leaving the state might have been a violation of the court order.