• michaellechner
    • Feb 2013

Re: I would have taken the $20k...

Without thinking twice.

Comment

• johnsontravis@ymail.com
      • Dec 2013

I don't think the ball is that great. It would be a lot cooler if they weren't handed the game with about 5 idiot mistakes by the Packers. If this was a hard fought game my view is different...but they were handed that win.

It is like bragging about the nice car you have when mommy and daddy bought it for you.

I am taking the $20,000 or I might take the WRs offer if it includes the GU jersey from that game and he pays for my trip to the super bowl(good seats, air travel, and hotel).

Comment

• Chess2899
        • Feb 2014

It will worth less than $500 in a few years.

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
          • Feb 2014

I think, given the locality and fanbase, if the Seahawks end up winning SB 49, it could be "worth" $5k-$8k in a couple years, due to the "dynasty" implications. What I don't get (based on the article) is why someone in that much legal trouble would decline $20k. I could see if he's a super fan and just wants something tied to the team, but with $20k, he could buy a lot of memorabilia.

Maybe he's holding out for Wilson's jersey and helmet from the game.

Comment

• nevrdiez34
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com
            I don't think the ball is that great. It would be a lot cooler if they weren't handed the game with about 5 idiot mistakes by the Packers. If this was a hard fought game my view is different...but they were handed that win.

It is like bragging about the nice car you have when mommy and daddy bought it for you.

I am taking the $20,000 or I might take the WRs offer if it includes the GU jersey from that game and he pays for my trip to the super bowl(good seats, air travel, and hotel).

You must be a Packers fan.
            Always looking for Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field Items

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

Personally, I would've taken it. The further the game rushes into the past, the less the excitement of the item will be evident, and the value will drop. It kind of reminds me of a guy at Wrigley Field who caught a couple of Sammy Sosa game HRs during the three 60-HR seasons Sam-Me had. He didn't sell them, and now would have trouble gettin 10-20% of his initial asking prices.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• sportsnbikes
                • Sep 2012

I'm sure the guy just doesn't have the memorabilia knowledge to know he's making a mistake.

Comment

• johnsontravis@ymail.com
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by sportsnbikes
                  I'm sure the guy just doesn't have the memorabilia knowledge to know he's making a mistake.
                  In the guys defense he looks like a huge Seahawks fan and caught the ball. How many people do you know that have caught an NFL football at a game? Might be priceless in this guy's mind. I hope he still feels that way in 10 years when it is worth 5-10k and it has authenticity issues.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                    • Apr 2007

I know a lot of you guys follow auctions way more closely than I do. Have there been any historic footballs sell for a lot of money recently?

Comment

• 3arod13
                      • Apr 2006

I think if Seattle wins the Super Bowl, then that's a great ball. If not, not so much.
                      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• BVC
                        • Feb 2014

The statements dis'ing what the Seahawks did are just plain ridiculous.

Regarding the ball's value, $10,000+ easy. It's arguable the most important play in Seattle history, so there will be a huge market for it. Given that the kid is unemployed and heading for jail, yes - sell it. If I had caught it, I would not be selling it, even for $20,000. If you don't need the money, and something's important to you, keep it. Could be there's a day when you are ready to do something philanthropic - can you imagine what a ball like that would bring at the right charity auction, in Seattle?

Comment

• 3arod13
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by BVC
                          It's arguable the most important play in Seattle history, so there will be a huge market for it.
                          I agree, but only in Seattle.
                          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 3arod13
                            I think if Seattle wins the Super Bowl, then that's a great ball. If not, not so much.
                            And not taking anything away from what Seattle did. That was one of the greatest comebacks to win a game!!!
                            Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• danesei@yahoo.com
                              • Feb 2014

Legacies...

The closest parallel of the ball *might* be "The Catch" by Dwight Clark. It's not entirely the same, as that preceded their first victory, but it's the closest reasonable comparison.

Also, from what I've been seeing reported, the fan intends to return the ball to Kearse, which is why he wouldn't take the $20k (or any amount, supposedly). Now, I want the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to offer $700k and see if the young man still refuses to sell.

In other news about footballs...

With the Patriots supposedly on the hook for under-inflated footballs in the AFC title game, what does this do for legacy? Does Brady now get deemed a cheater, along with Belichick?

Also, with the penalty for a single infraction at $25k, would each of the 11 balls be counted as a separate infraction? Is there an escalator for penalties?

I understand that the NFL doesn't really vacate titles (unlike the NCAA), but there are two weeks before the SB. Couldn't the NFL simply say the Patriots were caught cheating in the AFC Title game, so they lose the game? I understand that's a high-leverage penalty, but Belichick has made it clear that he doesn't care about rules. If not for a forfeit-type penalty, the only way I see this working is:

$275k fine ($25k*11) & all SB/AFC title revenue forfeited to the NFL to be used to help with the huge legal battle ahead re: concussed players (which, I also don't entirely agree is the NFL's fault, but that's a discussion I don't really care to go into).

Belichick banned from holding any position within the league. This would be akin to Rose's ban from MLB.

Patriots forfeit first & second round picks from 2015-2020. If the Patriots should have a top-10 selection in any year, they shall also forfeit their third round pick. The Patriots shall be banned from trading for any selections in the first 100 picks of any draft from 2015-2020.

Yes, all of that seems severe, but I really think anything less will simply be laughed at by the Patriots organization.

Comment

Working...