PDA

View Full Version : How can batting gloves be authenticated as GI/GU?

esigs
01-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Other than photo matching or a reliable provenance, how are batting gloves identified as being at least issued to a player? Are there codes on labels like in jerseys? Are there characteristics of the label itself that can identify batting gloves as being at least issued to a particular player?

I've seen gloves that have a player's last name or nickname or a logo. Are those only issued to the player? For example, the picture shows a pair of Franklin gloves with JUNIOR printed on them. Did Franklin sell gloves like that to the public?

Who is the expert on identifying and/or authenticating GI/GU batting gloves? Thanks for sharing your perspective and knowledge.

rudyjj18
01-22-2015, 07:23 PM
A lot of times, players get custom team colors that aren't able to be ordered from the manufacturer. I know Braun used to wear Nike gloves with blue/gold that weren't available. To the normal joe, you could buy the same model, just not the special colors. Most times, there is a number or name stitched on the wrist. I have a pair of Franklin gloves from Martin Maldonado and they have some kind of like iron on letters that spell his last name. Hope that helps.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Short answer: They can't.

Long answer: It would take so much effort and high resolution screen caps that it wouldn't be worthwhile. This is part of why they don't do well on the secondary market. Another reason would be the seemingly unending supply of star player gloves.

esigs
02-24-2015, 08:59 AM
I guess the best I can do for gloves that are not custom made for a player is to style match batting gloves, like these worn by Ivan Rodriguez in 2010 while he played for the Nationals. I don't know how long players typically wear them, but these are quite worn and dirty.

jake33
02-27-2015, 01:54 PM
I have a pair of Pink mother's day batting gloves form 2011 from Dan Johnson. They are authenticated as issued, but clearly were used. Dan did NOT play in the game, so likely it was used in BP. His jersey #24 is written in sharpie on the wrist as well. Interesting, but there is a sharpie mark on the middle finger palm. I bought it right from MLB Auctions, curious on how that sharpie mark came about, as it is looks to me it was put on there by accident, maybe by the equipment manager or maybe from signing autographs before the game and getting a sharpie mark on the glove.