PDA

View Full Version : Incredible "instaflip" from MLB auctions to Ebay

emann
01-28-2015, 11:37 PM
This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I thought I'd share it: I was watching a specific jersey on the MLB auctions that ended tonight at 8pm. The jersey sold for about $300, fair price for what it is. Literally less than 15-20 minutes after that auction ended, the presumed buyer listed the same jersey (using the MLB photos/holo number/etc) for $1500 on ebay. BTW, $1500 is not close to the going rate for this player's jerseys, so the instaflip probably won't pan out in the end.

I normally have no issue with people flipping or selling items, but this seemed like a little much. A previous story (the one above easily surpasses it) of flipping came last season when a team employee told me stories of specific "collectors" buying jerseys/bats and having the team just ship them direct to auction companies for consignment . . . at least those items were in transit for a few days and had to wait for a catalog before getting turned back over.

Phil316
01-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Wow Ellsbury was quick.

Phil316
01-29-2015, 01:19 AM
I have seen guys flip jerseys within a couple weeks but never that quick.

jojac
01-29-2015, 08:54 AM
He must have a lot of faith in the postal service to post it before actually receiving the item.

emann
01-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Wow Ellsbury was quick.

Yep, that's the one.

carbonrosa
01-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I do hate this as well. I was bidding on Mike Trout's RBI single to left field off of Drew Storen. April 23, 2014 vs. the Los Angeles Angels. MLB Authentication: HZ 112203 a few days ago and Bryce Harper's NLDS cap. The ball sold for $530 and the hat sold for $955, both bought by the same guy and 2 days later they are on eBay with $2000 and $3000 price tags with make an offer on them.
Frustrating
If I offer what he paid for them,do you think he would except? I doubt it

gorilla777
01-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Okay, I'll pile on this one a bit - how about when a "collector" asks you for pics on some items, then comes back and asks for bargain basement price...meanwhile during this team your items are being shopped all around town using those very pics, with a deal only being closed once the secondary buyer is lined up, you get beat down on the ask price and they are clearing a nice margin. And this after they claim how interested they are in the player/item....always a classic move.

danesei@yahoo.com
01-30-2015, 05:26 PM
This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I thought I'd share it: I was watching a specific jersey on the MLB auctions that ended tonight at 8pm. The jersey sold for about $300, fair price for what it is. Literally less than 15-20 minutes after that auction ended, the presumed buyer listed the same jersey (using the MLB photos/holo number/etc) for $1500 on ebay. BTW, $1500 is not close to the going rate for this player's jerseys, so the instaflip probably won't pan out in the end.

If you're really concerned about this, you could report it to eBay. Technically, you're not allowed to list items that you don't have in hand, unless you expressly state that in the auction. Also, if someone "buys" the jersey for $1500+$15 expedited, the buyer could get a refund from eBay, since there'd be no way for the seller to ship it out.

emann
01-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Okay, I'll pile on this one a bit - how about when a "collector" asks you for pics on some items, then comes back and asks for bargain basement price...meanwhile during this team your items are being shopped all around town using those very pics, with a deal only being closed once the secondary buyer is lined up, you get beat down on the ask price and they are clearing a nice margin. And this after they claim how interested they are in the player/item....always a classic move.

Yeah, that is just plain shady business practice. I've never had that happen (to my knowledge), but have heard about it in the past.

emann
01-30-2015, 06:56 PM
If you're really concerned about this, you could report it to eBay.

Not really concerned, just thought it was an anecdote that earned a posting here.

I am fighting the urge to keep offering the price he paid via BIN every time I see this pop up though . . .

COWBOYS4EVR
01-30-2015, 09:30 PM
It's not just MLB items. The same goes for NFL Auction items too.
Some guy is buying up the Cowboys game used items, then lists them the same
way within 24hrs on eBay. Usually puts them for 1k higher than what he got them for. And then they sit.

dwolfe12345
01-31-2015, 10:44 PM
It's not just MLB items. The same goes for NFL Auction items too.
Some guy is buying up the Cowboys game used items, then lists them the same
way within 24hrs on eBay. Usually puts them for 1k higher than what he got them for. And then they sit.

Yes I've seen this. It's actually 2 guys doing this. Good luck getting 1500 for scrub Cowboys jerseys.

Samets
01-31-2015, 11:20 PM
It's not just Cowboys!.

I see the same flippers all the time on eBay...

danesei@yahoo.com
01-31-2015, 11:57 PM
Not really concerned, just thought it was an anecdote that earned a posting here.

I am fighting the urge to keep offering the price he paid via BIN every time I see this pop up though . . .

He has an autodecline on that price. I already tried it. ;)

kings418
02-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Looks like the guy that buys all the Cowboys jerseys changed his username on ebay. Wow, no more dalcowbill. He has already listed 3 jerseys he won last night on NFL Auctions. I hope they sit for a loooooooong time.

5toolplayer
02-11-2015, 12:57 AM

BOOM Classic M.D. Move Wink Wink

5toolplayer
02-11-2015, 01:03 AM
I do hate this as well. I was bidding on Mike Trout's RBI single to left field off of Drew Storen. April 23, 2014 vs. the Los Angeles Angels. MLB Authentication: HZ 112203 a few days ago and Bryce Harper's NLDS cap. The ball sold for $530 and the hat sold for $955, both bought by the same guy and 2 days later they are on eBay with $2000 and $3000 price tags with make an offer on them.
Frustrating
If I offer what he paid for them,do you think he would except? I doubt it

Then don't get outbid on the items if you really want them. I don't understand why people would get made if someone who has the the money to purchase the items right then and now and chooses to sit on them or flip them right away and maybe sell them for a higher price later on for a profit. Whats wrong with that??

SEAFAN76
02-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Then don't get outbid on the items if you really want them. I don't understand why people would get made if someone who has the the money to purchase the items right then and now and chooses to sit on them or flip them right away and maybe sell them for a higher price later on for a profit. Whats wrong with that??

I kinda agree.

I found a rookie year Russell Wilson Pro Bowl jersey that was used in the photo shoot and team photo day. It wasn't used IN the game the next day, but still very rare. It was on MLB Auctions. I paid $1250 knowing it was too low.
I wanted to keep it.
BUT, if someone was willing to pay WAY more, it's theirs. I asked $2500.
I had it within 5 days. Put it up on eBay, and BOOM, $1800 offer within 24 hours.
Couldn't turn down that offer.

And now............ I see it back on eBay 2 years later and he wants $3700.

jojac
02-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Looks like the subject jersey has been rec'd by the Ebay seller. He re-posted the item with new photos and dropped the price several hundred dollars.

seanbaseball
02-15-2015, 03:09 PM
My I show you my favorite. Taveras homerun ball just sold at Goldin for $2k, but is now available to you on Ebay for $8,750!!!! Not a bad markup LOL.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=oscar+taveras&_sop=16

beachpetrol
03-02-2015, 12:20 PM
My I show you my favorite. Taveras homerun ball just sold at Goldin for $2k, but is now available to you on Ebay for $8,750!!!! Not a bad markup LOL.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=oscar+taveras&_sop=16

Or you can get a ball, from the game, of his first home run for a lot cheaper....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscar-Taveras-Debut-Game-Used-Baseball-1st-Career-Hit-Home-Run-RBI-MLB-RIP-BALL-/141529589090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f3d22562

helf35
03-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Did the ball sell already?