PDA

View Full Version : Why do some baseball players?

fossilbowl
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Has anybody ever wondered why some baseball players almost exclusively use one type of bat, but they all their other equipment may be a different manufacturer?

For example, David Ortiz almost always uses Rawlings bats, but he always wears Louisville TPX batting gloves and sweat bands. Another instance is Mike Piazza. His catching gear is all Rawlings and he uses Rawlings batting gloves, but he always uses Mizuno bats.

I know some players have contracts on what equipment they should use, and I believe Piazza falls in this category. Does this only refer to his bats or can it also be for other equipment. Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for a company to have a contract with a player if they can use other equipment besides the one their signed for? Any insight?

suave1477
01-07-2007, 10:54 PM
fossilbowl well I would most likely beleive its due to contracts but superstition I am sure plays a part also as some players like to say with one particular bat. Or it could be just pure comfortability as one plyer may like Rawlings padding but likes to use a Mizuno bat.

I dont think there is a Rhyme or Reason its just really up to the individual player.

As far as conflict of interest, I wouldnt say that!!! As its a business just like anything else.
Example - do you think your car has all parts from the same place NO it may manufacture the engine but gets its head lights from COMPANY A and gets the bulbs from COMPANY B.

camarokids
01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Good thread :), I do know with Louisville Slugger Bats if the player's name is burned into the bat in Signature Form , that player has a contract with Louisville Slugger , block letters , no contract . This is what I was told a few years ago . Is this still true ????? As far as other equipment , not sure . One of my favorite players Fred McGriff , uses a signature model C-271 Louisville Slugger , but uses a Wilson Glove and Franklin wrist bands and batting gloves . Based on searching thru Getty Images , whether it was Cubs, Devil Rays , or Dodgers . I saw always the same a Wilson fielding glove , Franklin wrist bands and batting gloves and of course the two-toned c-271 LS. Last year Ball park Heroes had a Mizuno (1st baseman) fielding glove w/ F. McGriff sewn into it . He wanted 545.00 , but I could not find any photographic evidence of him using the glove so I passed , only found Wilson's . Maybe Fred tried the glove and gave it away ?????or couldn't use it due to a contract w/ Wilson ?????? Not to say anything negative about Kim at BPH's for I have bought many items off him thru the years. The glove sold anyway .

lon lewis
01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
fossilbowl maybe this will help. the team furnishes the basic uniform (except where other arrangments are made). this includes hat, jersey, pants, stirrups (when worn )sanitary socks (when used), batting helmets, equipment bags, warm up jackets and catchers gear. bats are furnished to the player based upon players preference. catchers gear is furnished based upon players preference. shoes, sweatbands, undergarments, batting gloves and fielding gloves are the players responsibility. now there are some exceptions to this based upon the players contract with the team but that's pretty much how it works. sporting goods mfr's will sample by the boatload sweatbands, batting gloves, fielding gloves, shoes and pretty much anything else in order to get the players to use their product.that's why you might see a player wearing for example mizuno sweat bands, nike batting gloves, a wilson fielding glove, and adidas shoes.