PDA

View Full Version : Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

3arod13
01-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman

kylehess10
01-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman

I always hate it when people try to make a quick buck when someone dies. I remember when Buck O'Neil died, and his stuff went up really high on eBay. I had a signed index card of him which he sent to me back when I use to collect TTM autographs. Instead of selling it like these other people were doing, I immediately framed it.

3arod13
01-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I always hate it when people try to make a quick buck when someone dies.

I agree! It always bothers me when I see it happen. Not to judge others however. Just my personal view on it.

ahuff
01-08-2007, 07:18 AM
I know it is morbid.

I am a collector and not a dealer. However, let me view this through the eyes of a business man for a moment. Isn't it simply the law of supply and demand. If memorabilia is your business, and the demand is greatest for the first 24 hours after a celebrity passes, then wouldn't that be the time you would want your item listed? Afterall, it isn't like you put a contract on the guy's life.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just simply looking at it through another set of eyes. Otherwise, I must agree with Kyle. When it is someone that I have had a connection with, like Buck, then all I do is cherish the item even more.

bat_master
01-08-2007, 07:22 AM
I agree! It always bothers me when I see it happen. Not to judge others however. Just my personal view on it.

I agree to a certain degree that it is wrong. However, it does also make smart business sense to strike while the demand is the greatest. I'll probably take a little heat for saying this, but I really think the key is that if it has to be done then at the very least it should be done in a tasteful manner.

I know one example was when Kirby Puckett died. Since I live in Minnesota and am a Twins fan it was especially frustrating seeing many of the items on ebay. Many had messages like "RIP Kirby, we love you" followed by "Get a beautiful Kirby Puckett game used bat for $2,500!" all in practically the same line of the auction listing.

At least don't make it so blatantly obvious and don't act heartbroken by the loss if you are only out to make a substantial profit from the situation. I'm sure many of those sellers didn't act heartbroken when they went to the bank.

Just my two and a half cents.

3arod13
01-08-2007, 07:23 AM
I know it is morbid.

I am a collector and not a dealer. However, let me view this through the eyes of a business man for a moment. Isn't it simply the law of supply and demand. If memorabilia is your business, and the demand is greatest for the first 24 hours after a celebrity passes, then wouldn't that be the time you would want your item listed? Afterall, it isn't like you put a contract on the guy's life.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just simply looking at it through another set of eyes. Otherwise, I must agree with Kyle. When it is someone that I have had a connection with, like Buck, then all I do is cherish the item even more.

Great point! As stated, I don't want to make judgement on others. I was only curious how others see it. I guess for the seller, it would be a good time to sell (exposure). And for the buyer also, who is looking for something in reference to the individual who passed. I've never been in that situation to sell something after someone has passed, but what you have stated above makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your thoughts!

3arod13
01-08-2007, 07:27 AM
At lleast don't make it so blatantly obvious and don't act heartbroken by the loss if you are only out to make a substantial profit from the situation. I'm sure many of those sellers didn't act heartbroken when they went to the bank. Just my two and a half cents.

Tim, well said!

Yankwood
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I have 2 Cory Lidle jerseys and a Darrent Williams helmet for sale. Excellent condition on all 3. Oops. I just found a Darryl Kile game used glove here that's available. Let me know.

3arod13
01-08-2007, 09:20 AM
I have 2 Cory Lidle jerseys and a Darrent Williams helmet for sale. Excellent condition on all 3. Oops. I just found a Darryl Kile game used glove here that's available. Let me know.

Is this suppose to be funny?

TNTtoys
01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I agree with the comment that if it has to be done, at least do it tastefully. I recall just recently when Cory Lidle passed on, there was 1 particular auction (ebay of course) that included in the title of the listing "he's dead."

But, that said, I believe that the whole thing is wrong in the first place. I don't see it as a "strike while the market is hot" scenario -- I see it more as a vultures & prey scenario.

As a goof, I took a look at ebay just after I heard the news of Lidle's plane crash. There were roughly 20 or so items of his for buy-it-now prices for an average price of $10-20. I looked back again 1 hour later, and they were all gone. I looked a day later, and some of the same items were there... now, the average price was $100. Go figure, Cory Lidle is now worth more than Albert Pujols? It was sickening to say the least.

Yankwood
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Is this suppose to be funny?No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.

3arod13
01-08-2007, 10:36 AM
No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.

Agree! Appreciate your comments and opinions. Much appreciated!

bat_master
01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.

I don't know if I find it as morbid as I do find it silly. To be quite honest, as collectors we have seen it happen over and over again. Player X is alive price is $100. Player X dies price is $2500. Six months later....Player X still deceased price is $100.

I would hope that people would eventually wise up to what happens to the market when a player dies and not be rushing to buy the stuff at inflated prices in the first place.

I guess it's human nature though.

CansecoPower33
01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Some people have a morbid fascination with tragedy and death. There's no sense losing any sleep over it - let them do as they will.

On a side note, I recently saw a Lidle game worn uniform on ebay for under $100 - It may still be there. Crazy to think of the money being shelled out for signed balls and cards at the time of his passing.

10thMan
01-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Interesting thread!
You know where this is even WORSE??? The ART industry, someone dies...their stuff is now priceless!!! "wow, who painted that"???

Caminiti Died & I was on ebay reading someones Listing. The guy went on to explain how he died etc...while I agree it may have been a Shame! The Coroners Report ALSO suggested that "Significant Heart Disease was also a Contributing Factor" something like a 40% blockage. People shouldnt just focus on the worse things, but they do.

It`s offensive (like some here have suggested) when we have met & mingled with the people who are now deceased. Cammy was known to be Friendly & stopped to sign for me several times. I`m a Native San Diegan, I once watched him stop (leaving the Murph) He was on a Harley, gave this Girl a short ride around the Stadium...We were all Stunned! How much Friendlier can you get?

They (just like us) are still people, with Families, Friends, Relationships etc...I won`t sell my best Cammy Bat, NO WAY.

Sean

10thMan
01-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I Failed to answer the Question,
WRONG, just my opinion. When it comes to the Allmighty Dollar, Ethics, Morals, Religion, may as well be forgotten, with SOME people.

Sean

zonker
01-08-2007, 10:16 PM
just my 2 cent's the weekend befor buck o'neal died he was in chantilly va. doing a sighning i arrived late and was the 3rd to last person in line for his autograph and buck sighned my vintage worth bat as well as monte irvin, carl long, jim zapp and frank marsh, the other 2 had baseball's, so could this be the last bat signed by buck very possible! the reason i bring this up is when i found out about buck i as a collector i didn't go yeah and try to make money off my item because it became even more valuble to me and i was sad for that sweet old man and don't understand how anybody would want to try make a profit off a death of a person any person. i can understand as a seller to sell when demand is high is good business. i think it's wrong when death is involved but who's to blame the seller or the collector and his need to obtain! who cares (right or wrong) no matter how you lok at it it's just bad bussiness!!!

jessicawinters
01-09-2007, 01:55 AM
If you think the buyers are morbid, then YOU ARE MORBID.

It's very simple. Collectors buy things immediately after a death not because they're sick, but because they want a connection with that athlete. It's a form of paying respect. They're not gonna say, "I'm saddened that he died. I'd like to have his signed bat, but let me wait 2 months for the price to go down.."

It's not like an average fan will keep a record of prices before, right after and 2 months removed. Whatever the price is at that moment is probably the only price the buyer knows of; there are no points of comparison.

Now, without the sellers offering these items, how will the loyal fans pay their respects? So, it's more of a public service.

jessicawinters
01-09-2007, 02:01 AM
I Failed to answer the Question,
WRONG, just my opinion. When it comes to the Allmighty Dollar, Ethics, Morals, Religion, may as well be forgotten, with SOME people.

Sean

10thMan, I'm guessing you're not part of those SOME people? You think you're better than the rest? I wouldn't count on it, buddy.

10thMan
01-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Funny, but I DO remember reading another post where people were willing to take money, from a lost wallet etc...Weren`t YOU one of them??? I never said anything to suggest I`m different. I wouldnt take money out of a lost wallet though.

I dont live my Life as "better than, or less than" I feel sorry for those that do, Honestly.

Personally, I own several Federal & State Licenses. I just happen to be a Notary Public, for example. There`s a reason lots of people can`t be Notaries, simply a matter of Ethics.

Those that know, are aware (busy) Notaries are presented with COUNTLESS Opportunities to scam. I was just offered 5000.00$ CASH to Notarize a Document without said Person Present. Needless to say, I didn`t do it. NOT ANYONE on this Board of Course.

Maybe I AM different, that`s something to be Proud of!
Thanks for the Reply,
Sean

jake33
01-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Many in the game used industry are using a player's name (when he was or IS an pro athlete) to make money when they are alive. It shouldn't be that big of a deal whoring it out when they die.

Hwoever, i do think it is a little distrubing seeing over 1,000 corey lidle items on ebay right after he dies.

3arod13
04-05-2007, 04:03 AM

I still have trouble with this. Would this seller be selling this item if Eddie Robinson didn't recenlty pass away? I don't believe so. Being personalized, and with his passing, wouldn't you think the seller would appreciate the item that much more?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Robinson-SIGNED-College-Hall-of-Fame-Dinnr-Ticket_W0QQitemZ180104073838QQihZ008QQcategoryZ237 97QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David
04-05-2007, 09:09 AM
If the seller puts something on eBay with a 1 penny minimum bid, and is willing to sell it for 1 penny if that's the highest bid, I'm not sure the seller is to blame if it goes for $500. The seller may be as shocked as anyone that it went for $500.

allstarsplus
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Paralyzed Ex-NFL Player Stingley Dies at 55
Pats Receiver Injured by Hit From Tatum in 1978

By SOPHIA TAREEN
AP Sports
CHICAGO (April 5) - Darryl Stingley, paralyzed after a vicious hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, died Thursday. He was 55.

camarokids
04-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Paralyzed Ex-NFL Player Stingley Dies at 55
Pats Receiver Injured by Hit From Tatum in 1978

By SOPHIA TAREEN
AP Sports
CHICAGO (April 5) - Darryl Stingley, paralyzed after a vicious hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, died Thursday. He was 55.

I remember watching the game at Foxboro when he was honored not long after being injured and felt really bad for the guy ....

suave1477
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
If you think the buyers are morbid, then YOU ARE MORBID.

It's very simple. Collectors buy things immediately after a death not because they're sick, but because they want a connection with that athlete. It's a form of paying respect. They're not gonna say, "I'm saddened that he died. I'd like to have his signed bat, but let me wait 2 months for the price to go down.."

It's not like an average fan will keep a record of prices before, right after and 2 months removed. Whatever the price is at that moment is probably the only price the buyer knows of; there are no points of comparison.

Now, without the sellers offering these items, how will the loyal fans pay their respects? So, it's more of a public service.

I AM A BIT SURPRISED WITH SOME OF YOU!!! YOU ACT LIKE THIS IS SOMETHING NEW THAT JUST STARTED YESTERDAY, ITEMS SELLING OVER PREMIUM AFTER A PERSON DYING HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR CENTURIES
WHEN KINGS DIE
ARTISTS
PRESIDENTS
MOVIE STARS
ATHLETES

This is nothing new!!! As far as it being morally wrong YES ONLY IF THE SELLER IS BLATANTLY USING THE DEATH TO HELP SELL HIS PRODUCT.

If the seller is selling the product with out using the death in a cold way at the time of the Persons death and selling it at an over premium and someone is willing to pay THEN WHY NOT!!

If im selling a Cory Lidle ball for $500 is that morally wrong NO
If someone is willing to buy it from me for the $500 is that morally wrong NO
Point blank!! What is the differnece when someone is over charging for an item when someone is alive NOW THATS MORALLY WRONG!!!

I USED JESSICA WINTERS QUOTE because she is a 100% correct from a buyers standpoint.
Some people may want to have an attachment to the person who died so they are willing to pay a higher premium at the time of death figuring that the supply may run low, chances are there is usually a good supply out there for that particular person but people dont want to take the chance.
Would I personally buy items at the time of a persons deth highly I highly doubt it. But this is the reason why things are the way they are.

geoff
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
People do what they want to do in this industry.Sometimes it makes me sick how far people are willing to go.But the all mighty dollar is talking and if you have bills to pay you do what you have to do to feed your family if you have one or house/car payment etc.Geoff