PDA

View Full Version : Bat Repair Advice with Before and After Pictures

Juan Gris
02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I completed a bat repair project this past weekend and wanted to share some advice and before and after pics. The crack was relatively clean, running about 10 inches up the handle, with just a minimal amount of wood loss (about a centimeter long on the top end of the fractured segment). The bat is staying in my personal collection and I wanted to prevent future damage (such as the crack widening or splitting off) while also improving the display quality. The crack lines are still visible when looking at the bat up close which is something I appreciate and value in a game used bat.

For the repair I had to remove a small bit of wood on the underside of the fractured segment in order to pop it back in place. This sliver of wood would not have been visible after popping the segment back in and I did no sanding or removal of "visible" wood along the edges. What little wood you see missing in the "after" pictures was ejected during the on-field break.

I used an Elmer's Wood Glue for the bonding agent and various sized pieces of plastic to spread the glue on both sides of the handle interior (such as the flat side of a plastic zip tie and a credit card sized piece of plastic). I've found that spreading the glue on a piece of paper (like a painter's palette) and transferring the glue with plastic tools (like a paintbrush) allows for more control and efficiency. It's important to incorporate an even coat of glue but not so much that you create a mess for yourself as pressure is applied and the excess squeezes out the sides. As others have mentioned, be sure to wipe off any and all excess glue with a damp cloth as pressure is applied and the glue begins to set and expand.

To secure the bat during the drying process I used two Irwin Quick-Grip clamps that I reinforced with rubber bands to enhance the pressure. I have access to a hydraulic adjustable computer table which is perfect for applying top-to-bottom pressure on a bat. I left everything undisturbed for approximately 24 hours and, when I took the clamps away, the bat felt like new.

Here are some pictures and I hope I shared something useful to someone!

rjdgonebats
02-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Very nice job !!!

onlyalbert
02-16-2015, 04:02 PM
I have one thing to add as advice. You mentioned getting the glue under the crack evenly. I've found using a syringe needle works great. You can fill it with whatever you need and it will fit in the tiniest of cracks. When done just recap it and discard appropriately.

Swoboda4
02-16-2015, 05:38 PM
I love this Sh#!. Great job. Irwin clamps are king. Hey, what kind of syringe? Is there a gauge for the "needle" so the thick glue can pass through? Is the type of syringe you're talking about not medical, but a specific type made for glue?

onlyalbert
02-16-2015, 07:04 PM
It's just a regular medical needle. I'd guess the higher the gauge the easier the glue would pass.

dangerzone79
02-16-2015, 07:19 PM
I agree with the syringe trick. That's what I use on my repairs as well. You can find syringe & needle kits online and it's a very simple procedure.
I'm still trying to find a way to use clamps and not have the pine tar or mota come off when the clamps are removed. Any suggestions are welcome.
And nice work on that repair!

Swoboda4
02-16-2015, 09:28 PM
What glue is best for the syringe method?

helf35
02-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Excellent job!

onlyalbert
02-16-2015, 10:31 PM
I agree with the syringe trick. That's what I use on my repairs as well. You can find syringe & needle kits online and it's a very simple procedure.
I'm still trying to find a way to use clamps and not have the pine tar or mota come off when the clamps are removed. Any suggestions are welcome.

Have you tried wrapping the area in wax paper first?

Juan Gris
02-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Very nice job !!!
Thanks!

I have one thing to add as advice. You mentioned getting the glue under the crack evenly. I've found using a syringe needle works great. You can fill it with whatever you need and it will fit in the tiniest of cracks. When done just recap it and discard appropriately.
That's fantastic advice! Most wood glues have a low enough viscosity for this to be an excellent pinpoint delivery system in hard to reach places. The crack I repaired was wide enough to use the tools I mentioned but I've seen a number of cracks and splits where using a needle would be ideal.

I love this Sh#!. Great job. Irwin clamps are king. Hey, what kind of syringe? Is there a gauge for the "needle" so the thick glue can pass through? Is the type of syringe you're talking about not medical, but a specific type made for glue?
Thanks and I agree about Irwin brand clamps!

Thanks! The Irwin clamps I just used have a rubbery plastic surface but I've also had repair success with steel C-clamps. When there was pine tar on the area I was repairing I placed a small buffer of plastic wrap between the steel clamp and the bat surface. I wouldn't recommend wrapping the entire handle/barrel of the bat in plastic wrap as glue could conceivably find its way out along the crack lines and you’d be unable to wipe off the wet glue under the wrap. Some members on here have stated that this method worked for them over the years but I personally wouldn’t take the risk.

Excellent job!
Thanks!

dangerzone79
02-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Have you tried wrapping the area in wax paper first?

No, but I'll give it a whirl! Thank you.

TigersCubs84
02-17-2015, 07:38 PM
On the needles used for glue injection, actually the bigger the number gauge, the smaller the needle opening. I usually use Elmers wood glue. If it's a bigger repair on a less than ideal bat, I slop in the gorilla glue. Always liked the gorilla picture on the bottle, just sayin.

sportsnbikes
02-17-2015, 08:21 PM
I have an Alcides Escobar bat that looks just like this. I had thought about how I could "pop" it back in place.

Looks great!