PDA

View Full Version : Oh No ! ! ! Not Another Steiner Thread ! ! !

Yankwood
12-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh, but yes. Last week I had the high bid on a Yankee bat that was auctioned off by Steiner. I wanted to know if the bat had been shipped out yet so I called them today and asked the first man who answered the phone. He said unfortunately no, he could not tell me but he would transfer me to someone who could. I then spoke to the man who handled auction items. He told me that due to a large volume of business it would not be possible to get that information.:confused: I told him I had the item number and he told me that didn't matter. :confused: X 2=:confused: :confused: . I asked him if anyone there had any idea of when items are shipped and he told me, "No, if anyone was to know that, it would be me". :confused: X 3=:confused: :confused: :confused: . Could this really be possible and has anyone else had this type of nonservice from them? Thanks.

hblakewolf
12-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Dealing with Steiner is quite difficult, to say the least.

As I noted here some time ago, I spent the beter part of an afternoon discussing their inventory of game used helmets. Prices quoted were "fourteen" for Jeter, "nine" for Giambi, etc. After a long, drawn out conversation, I agreed to purchase 5 helmets, and put them on my charge card. The Steiner employee seemed shocked that I wanted to charge them, and asked if my charge card had this much credit available.

The reason the employee was shocked? The "fourteen" for Jeter was not fourteen hundred, rather, fourteen thousand dollars!

Although you may find this story funny, it just goes to show you how out of touch the folks at Steiner are, and how frustrating it is to deal with them.

I for one will never deal with them again.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
12-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but..
I find the issue of whether Steiner is 'out of touch' or not to be an interesting one because it's not as cut-&-dry as it may seem.
Howard, I agree with you that those are insane prices for game-used helmets, but that's simply my opinion. It's hardly 'fact'. Relatively soon, I think we're all going to find out if Steiner is genuinely 'out of touch' by seeing if their items sell or not. Steiner has a monopoly on a very desireable and rare market (Yankees items) and are consequently marketing their pieces to the wealthy. Whether their calculated bet is correct or not, we'll all see soon. You can bet that their parent corporation is not going to allow them to miss their profit targets. If these items start piling up and not selling, Omnicom Group is not going to be very happy. Should be very interesting!

Rudy.

ChrisCavalier
12-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Steiner has a monopoly on a very desireable and rare market (Yankees items) and are consequently marketing their pieces to the wealthy.
Now I know why I have never received anything from Steiner :rolleyes:

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

s.carter
12-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Well I did it last week and I will do it again and that is come to the defense of Steiner. I hate to even get involved in these posts but I read some of the general comments made on this site and it blows my mind. Steiner has both signed and game used items at all different prices. You can get items for under $100 just as easily as you can get items for $10,000. Why all the petty complaining on this site? This is like me going onto a website and crying how Donald Trump won't let me get a penthouse in Trump Towers for $20,000 or Mercedes Benz won't sell me a Maybach for the price of a Honda Accord. If you can't afford something, you can't afford it, end of story, just quit the crying.

s.carter
12-20-2005, 02:06 PM
I do agree with you though Yankwood on the inexcusable nature of your interaction today. If I were you I'd call again and speak to another person at Steiner, I'm sure anyone there can look up your info. Like I said I don't want to take sides in any of this but all my interactions with them have been nothing short of the best and I'm far from a big spender. I guess I just see the good in things and want everyone else to as well. Happy holidays to everyone!

BULBUS
12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Getting back to the non-service of Steiner, I have had several problems with them. As far as their auctions, I have had items not ship, the wrong item ship, or the item was not as described. Recently, I placed an order on their website, waited for over a week before I called, then found out that the item was out of stock??? They never contacted me to tell me this. Apparently, they like to leave orders in limbo. And it is never easy finding the right person to speak to. I always get passed around, leaving a few voicemails. The only time that I buy from them now is if there is a bargain on their auction. I guess it is worth the hassle if I can get something cheap enough??

JETEFAN
01-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh, but yes. Last week I had the high bid on a Yankee bat that was auctioned off by Steiner. I wanted to know if the bat had been shipped out yet so I called them today and asked the first man who answered the phone. He said unfortunately no, he could not tell me but he would transfer me to someone who could. I then spoke to the man who handled auction items. He told me that due to a large volume of business it would not be possible to get that information.:confused: I told him I had the item number and he told me that didn't matter. :confused: X 2=:confused: :confused: . I asked him if anyone there had any idea of when items are shipped and he told me, "No, if anyone was to know that, it would be me". :confused: X 3=:confused: :confused: :confused: . Could this really be possible and has anyone else had this type of nonservice from them? Thanks.

Yankwood, you know how I feel about Steiner ! But at least they are consistant. If you don't have a clue about what you sell, why find out where or when it's shipping !!!:eek:
Later George

allstarsplus
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Just curious, this thread looks like it was started 12-20-2005, 10:39 AM which is over a year ago. Is this date a mistake?

Andrew

Yankwood
01-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Just curious, this thread looks like it was started 12-20-2005, 10:39 AM which is over a year ago. Is this date a mistake?

AndrewThe date is not a mistake. It's hard to believe, but that was over a year ago already. The service, I am glad to say, is improved by leaps and bounds from that post that I wrote. The problems are different now but service is not really one of them as far as I am concerned.

kylehess10
01-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Thank god this thread is from over a year ago. I just bought something from Steiner a week ago on eBay so I started getting worried.

Kid4hof03
01-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I've added 6 jerseys to my 1995-96 Yankees collection from Steiner over the last couple of months. All jerseys have been outstanding and the service as good as I've ever had in this hobby.

Abe

cjclong
01-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Toward in the end of the baseball season last year I contacted a Steiner representaive and told him I was interested in acquring a glove from one of two games that year that had been worn by Mariano Rivera in the game. After the season the representative contacted me and said they could supply one of the gloves. It wasn't cheap, but it was within a price I was willing to pay and it was worth it to me. Without Steiner and their access to the Yankee players its unlikely I ever would have gotten this glove. As with everyting in this hobby we have to decide whether the price is worth it to us. Its just a question of do you have the means to purchase it and do you want it that much. I didn't buy a Soriano helmet a couple of years ago because I thought the price was way too much. If someone else had really wanted it then it might have been worth it to them. As others have said, if you don't like Steiner's price you don't have to buy and they do provide some unique items that probably can't be acquired elsewhere.

geoff
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I bought a signed 16x20 pic from them a few weeks ago and got it in 3 or 4 days after i placed the order.