PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss Gamer on ebay....Opinions

rj.cataldo@gmail.com
02-22-2015, 01:58 AM
Hey everyone. I have been a member of the forum for a while, but have rarely posted. I came across a Randy Moss game used jersey on ebay which appears to be from a Grey Flannel auction. The jersey comes with the NFL PSA/DNA sticker which says it was worn 9/12/04. Based on initial pictures from Getty, it looks like Moss took a beating, and the jersey doesn't seem to show any of the marks, however I am not sure how much of those stains can be removed if washed. I am interested in potentially getting a Moss GU jersey, but am completely new to NFL game used jerseys. Any thoughts or opinions on the jersey would be greatly appreciated. (link below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331460475167?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

RMoody
02-22-2015, 03:19 AM
That jersey, noting the stitching through the year and date code was this jersey;

http://www.100percentauthentic.com/Certificates/Details/2005-Randy-Moss-Game-Used-Vikings-Jersey-wTeam-Letter-from-Jan-2-Walk-Off-Loss-vs-Redskins-Photo-Matched-45082/45082

Ironically it now has a PSA label and if you read that letter closely it states the jersey bears the name "Allen" , not Moss.

It's also seemingly void of its Vikings COA, the pencil writing on the jersey also appears gone or overlooked.

Perhaps it's my eyes but the bottom of the 4 where the markings once were seem awful clean. In reviewing photos from Moss walking off, it's difficult to see it not being a closer hemmed jersey as his uniform is void of any "bunching".

http://a.espncdn.com/i/magazine/new/050106_moss.jpg

I'm also not certain, because mainly of poor photo angles in the 100% listing that the jersey had the jock tags at that point.

I do know Moss had gamers usually hemmed (sans his rookie year) or at least cropped, as shown here;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bhu10ChCEAAX2UJ.jpg:large

The low price worries me, I find highly concerning and how PSA could validate this jersey while overlooking it being one of the most recognizable gamers Moss ever wore. Including a proposed photo match and aforementioned markings.

I was at the game with my now deceased step father and the jersey would have a lot of meaning to me. I'd love to framed with our tickets and photos from the game so my step brother and I can hold onto a positive memory, as we don't have many.

In closing, at times in this hobby you buy something because you want it to be something more than you can convince yourself what it's not. I couldn't bring myself to do it in this case, but I'm open minded to someone wiser and less attached than myself.

scottishcowboy41
02-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Rmoody, looking at the date-size tags, these are two different jerseys. Yes, there is purple stitching through the top corner, but it follows a different route through the tag. Also the black 04-44 print is at different angles and heights on each tag and the white stitching between the 04-44 tag and the L tags is also a different pattern. I have no idea of the authenticity of the jersey listed on Ebay, but it's not the same jersey as the one on the other auction link.

On a seperate note, I hope you find something from that game that you can have in your hands to enhance your memories of a magical day spent with your Stepdad and Stepbrother.

rj.cataldo@gmail.com
02-22-2015, 05:00 PM
I am fairly certain those are two different jerseys as well. Though I appreciate the response. I think this was authenticated through the NFL PSA/DNA program and not aftermarket. Additionally, the PSA website says it is a game used jersey attributable to Moss on 9/12/04 however his jersey is filthy if you look at pictures on Getty, and this jersey looks pretty clean. I am not a skilled photo matcher so Im not sure oh what to look for.

To RMoody's point though the fact that the GFC cert says "Allen" bothers me, and the price seems way to good to be true. Thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions. If anyone has any further thoughts on the jersey, I would love to hear them.

urzaworld
02-22-2015, 09:15 PM
PSA LOA states worn in cowboys game. Definitely NOT worn in cowboys game.
-Harvey