PDA

View Full Version : Any Josh Hamilton fans here?

suicide_squeeze
02-27-2015, 02:17 PM
...or at least willing to admit it?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-angels-hamilton-facing-at-least-25-game-suspension-after-relapse/ar-BBi1SqL

This guy is a case study as to why any professional team should never take a chance on a known addict. No matter what level of talent the player possesses, he is always one day away from implosion.

Yeah, I know...it's a "disease" and we should all give support and help to ones inflicted with these terrible diseases. :rolleyes:

Maybe....it's just a character issue? Maybe a guy who signed a $125 MILLION contract should exercise good judgement and actually earn that trust by acting responsibly, keeping himself clean to warrant that kind of pay, show the kind of character that would justify it? Acting accordingly as a professional would be choosing to build a support system around yourself, with friends and family that support his efforts to stay clean.

Before you say "He did...he turned himself in!" Yep, he sure did. Because he knew he was about to be busted for a failed drug test (cocaine) taken after a recent binge.

What about Josh's team, who took a 5-year bet for his services? What about his teammates who he has let down tremendously? What about their chances of winning now with the burden of his contract and his vacancy in the line-up due to his most recent transgressions?

"But he just had shoulder surgery, he was depressed!?"

$125 MILLION for 5 YEARS. Would that "depress" you? That's guaranteed pay, not some pipe dream. Athletes get hurt. They get well too, a lot faster than we would because of the care they receive.

Then there are those dang intangibles. What about the effect it has on Pujols, who just lost protection in the line-up? Add Hamilton's loss now for a good chunk of the season to Howie Kendrick jumping zip codes, and the Angels are hamstringed defensively even with the amazing Mike Trout. A team can't just change a player of his Hamilton's ability with another pair of socks.

So who is to blame? Hamilton, or the Angels? He's an addict. He has done this before (relapsed and turned himself in). The Angels knew that. They signed him for BIG bucks anyways.

Maybe if he is suspended the Angels at least won't have to pay the portion of the suspension. But basically the Angels have rolled the dice on a known addict, and as easily predicted, they crapped out. Whatever happens from this moment forward, the Angels lose. They gambled big on a loser. What else could they have expected? It doesn't matter how much money you throw at a problem when there is an addiction involved.

Josh has much bigger problems on his hands than a suspension. He has the rest of his life to deal with. And most addicts don't do well with that. As a human being, I wish him well in his attempts to get it right. As a baseball fan, I SMH at the Angels for making this poor decision. I think it will be a long time before you ever see another MLB team roll the dice on another known addict, no matter what his talent level. And if they do, then they get what they paid for.

Anyone have an opinion?

Steve

sportsnbikes
02-27-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm a Hamilton fan. Not a huge die-hard but a fan.

You have a lot of sense in your writing but I saw you key in on money and money just doesn't buy everyone happiness.

He's an addict and he's admitted that. I haven't seen anywhere that he had failed a test but maybe he did. Some people just can't seem to shake that kind of addiction. Sad. But he's definitely not alone.

I personally wish him the best. He's had a few good years after going off a much farther deep end than this recent trip. Maybe he can pull out a few more good years...who knows?

Since you seem to be an Angels fan, you probably take it much harder than a person who is a fan of players. In the rare occasion that my team signs a player and then that player is hurt or whatever reason that they don't perform, I just write it off to the game off baseball. It's out of my control so I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Jags Fan Dan
02-27-2015, 04:22 PM
It was a love-fest when he was here in Cincy, I really wish it had gone better for his sobriety. If I were an Angels fan I would be really disappointed, and probably pissed too. Baseball is laden with a lot of bad contracts. But don't let bad contracts get confused with bad people. Josh has problems I will never understand. I have never been an addict. Unless you have, it would be tough to understand what he's going through or how/why his relapses have occurred.

xpress34
02-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Steve -

1st, welcome back.

2nd, I am a fan of Hamilton. Having gotten to meet him on multiple occasions, he has always appeared humble and accessible to the fans, regardless of his stature in the game or how much money he was making.

I was very saddened to hear of his latest lapse. If you haven't read his book, I would suggest it as Josh barred his soul in it and he does lots of work off the field to try and keep others - especially kids - from taking the path he took.

Unlike many players, he owns his addiction and admits it. Did he 'fess up' because he knew he would fail his next drug test? Maybe. But maybe it's also because he is a stand up guy and takes responsibility for his actions unlike may other players who I won't name here.

I have no doubt that he feels terrible for what he ahs done and what it will do to his team - but I believe he feels worse about what it will do to his family.

I wish the best for him and his family and hope he gets the help he needs.

Just my .02

- Smitty

xpress34
02-27-2015, 06:25 PM
P.S. - I have ZERO doubt that their are 'fans' of Hamilton that have or will turn on him because this latest issue causes their collection to lose value.

Those aren't real fans of the player, those are bandwagon fans looking to make a buck off the flavor of the day/week/month/year.

For me personally, I lost more respect for Derek Jeter a couple of weeks back than I did for Josh with this relapse.

Josh is a known addict (as you stated) who did what many have been expecting would happen eventually.

Jeter - who I have no doubt will go into the Hall 1st Ballot - has been signing HOF balls under the HOF logo already. To me, that is disrespectful to those who are actually IN the HOF. Show the class you've been known for and wait until you're there. My guess is he's getting paid to do them. If so, then he is about the money. Just sayin'.

Hell, last year at Spring Training, Greg Maddux wouldn't do HOF inscriptions because (as he stated), 'although I have been elected, I have not yet been inducted into the Hall of Fame.'

I'm done now.

staindsox
02-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Not a Hamilton fan, but I feel sorry for him. This is something that he will struggle with his entire life. It is just a sad situation and I hope he can get pointed back in the right direct again. He certainly isn't a loser.

STLHAMMER32
02-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Huge Hambone fan here. Always will be....His comeback story is one of the greatest athletic feats ever accomplished in my opinion and the hope it brought struggling addicts has been life changing and inspiring for so many. Hitting major league pitching is the single hardest thing to do in any sport and to miss the amount of time he did, never playing above single A keep in mind.....to become an MVP and take his team to the WS back to back years.

From a business standpoint, giving huge money and long-term contracts to an addict is always a complete gamble. An addict is an addict, there is no cure and it is a struggle daily with making the right choices and fighting temptation. However, giving large contracts to pitchers who throw in a motion that is completely unnatural and harmful is even riskier in my opinion because one injury to the shoulder is enough to ruin a career....and it's bound to happen eventually.

Hamilton opted for less "supervision" in regards to an accountability partner that was always at his side in the transition to Los Angeles. In Texas, I think they had a better grasp on his situation and it overall was a better situation for him.

The one thing that you have to respect is the fact he is responsible for his actions and is open about the struggle and knowing that his addiction is ongoing.

He has long road ahead for physical and mental recovery but he has proven before that improbable comebacks are possible....I wouldn't count him out.

suicide_squeeze
03-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Dan, I think Cincy was a bit more aware of what they faced in keeping Hamilton, so they made the calculated decision to sent him packing. Smart move? Hard to argue no. Are the Angels ownership/management to blame because of their apparent ignorance to addiction problems, and as such now facing a large personnel problem tied to a phat contract unlikely to pay off? Did they do their team severe injustice by signing this guy to a 5-year bonanza contract. In a perfect world, Josh would have posed solid protection for Pujols. But Josh's world has never been perfect, so it was a flawed move from the outset, IMO.

Smitty (thanks for the welcome back, too), I didn't even get into the family aspect of this saga. This will no doubt cost them severely, emotionally and financially. It's all but a given Josh won't receive payment for his days missed from a now pending suspension. He would have been paid since he will be recovering from recent shoulder surgery, but due to the relapse issue, he now gets a suspension during that shared recovery time, without pay. When you're making $25 MILL a year, that's an OUCHIE on top of an ouchie.

But wow....where was his wife during his "binge"? You can't "hide" something like that from someone who is familiar with the signs. Does Josh leave his family for lengths of time to enable the opportunity to do these things? Knowing that's a possibility, why wouldn't his family avoid that scenario? What kind of a support mechanism from family (and friends) is that? All she would have had to do was take one look at his pale shiny skin during his "binge" and she would have known there was trouble. But it's JOSH having to come forward, again?

Then comes the dirt. If she did know, was it the potential loss of money that keep her quiet, thus allowing him to fall further since consequences weren't imposed immediately? I'm just an outside observer asking questions, but he doesn't seem to have safeguards set up to support his efforts to stay clean. And it would appear his wife is either ignorant to the obvious, or has other priorities that rank higher than his personal well-being, like keeping the family income flowing. That's a harsh statement, I know, so in all fairness to her, I don't know what the truth is. For all I know, maybe she is his Rock of Gibraltar, the one who begged him to come forward and deal with the problems head on. That's the crux of this whole mess...addicts lives are unmercifully messy.

STLHAMMER32, you point out he chose "less "supervision" in regards to an accountability partner that was always at his side in the transition to Los Angeles. In Texas, I think they had a better grasp on his situation and it overall was a better situation for him." I couldn't agree more that Texas was where he should have stayed. Hell, his MANAGER was a coke addict. The whole environment was geared for monitoring and supporting the issues brought about from addiction. He had a sound supportive foundation of "family" around him. we all know about the team accepting non-alcoholic beverages in the clubhouse as they celebrated play-off victories and almost won a World Series. For Josh to walk away from an environment like that is a statement in itself. What KIND of a statement is the question? Was he that irresponsible, or that selfish? Or was Texas just worn out from the necessary baby-sitting routine an addict demands?

Los Angeles? A mistake no matter HOW you cut it.

In the world of Professional Sports, the dollars driving it are HUGE. As a result athletes fought for and won the bargaining rights to be hugely over-paid. At the very minimum, the ones with leadership roles on a team should be as close to "baggage free" as possible, shouldn't they? Who's got time to deal with addictions that at any moment can bring down the whole house of cards? In a huge city like L.A., with temptations luring the vulnerable at every street corner in a vast wasteland of celebrities and opportunity for trouble, is THAT where a guy with addiction issues...coupled with an obscene payroll...wants to set up camp? Was the extra few million the Angels lured Josh with from Texas to Los Angeles worth it to him, especially in light of the fact those extra Million are now being largely evaporated to suspension? What about his fan base? What about his legacy once he's done?

staindsox, I certainly don't mean to kick a guy when he's down. But let's call a spade a spade...Josh Hamilton is a multi-millionaire professional athlete who, STLHAMMER32 pointed out, CHOSE to have less supervision, knowing he's an opportunity for a "quick line" away from being a TRAIN WRECK to the folks who placed GOBS of trust and financial reward upon him. And what about his second "family", his Angels teammates? He let them down in a big way. No surprise, it's a repeat act. He's such an addict he was overdosed on athletic sports drinks to the point they caused severe eye problems, also effecting his performance. How does an addict EVER really play to his potential, no matter what greatness and ability he has, when his potential is constantly under attack from his weaknesses he can't control? When his little transgressions occur. it always seems to be coupled with an "injury" or "issue" (the eyes). Any opportunity of a health issue acts as a convenient excuse to fall from grace? Is his character automatically dwarfed by his addictions? Must be, because where's the allegiance to the ones who put faith in this church-going man?

If that isn't the definition of a loser, then what is? Addict = loser. Just ask Curt Cobain. Addicts kill themselves because they can't face what their lives become, regardless of how much money they have or fame they've obtained. It's devastating for all involved. We all feel just as badly for the losses they inflict, to themselves, the pain on their families, and the void left from the loss of their greatness, their talent, and what could have been for all of us that cherished them. No one in a family ever wants to hear a doctor say that nasty word, "addiction". It's almost as bad as it gets. Worse, even. It means a life of torture.

But the "addict" story is tired. We know all that already. Or should.

So I guess what it comes down to is the owners of these professional sports teams being ignorant to what they are dealing with. Josh Hamilton is one of the most gifted hitters baseball has seen. And the guy is a MESS because he's an addict. Again, I don't want to under-emphasize my best wishes for him going forward. I too liked the man for no other reason than I am a huge baseball fan, and the dude can rake like a son-of-a-gun! I also believe he can "clean-up" and give the Angels some great moments. But the dreaded baggage. Eesch! Man, it's a deal breaker. And there are 29 teams out there "Phew!ing" over the fact it's the Angels problem and not theirs. To always be looking over your shoulder at him, worried about what you'll have tomorrow? That's a steep price to pay for a professional ball club, especially in light of the fact he has already proven the addiction is mightier than his character. And please don't take that wrong, I am not saying he has bad character, I am saying he suffers from a dominating flaw that will inevitably at any given moment...trump it.

I think it will be a long time before a professional team ever hands out a bonanza contract to any known substance abuser again. It's just a losing proposition and exposes weaknesses an organization would rather not be associated with. Namely, ignorance. The Angels were a contender for winning it all. Are they now, without the services of a solid player in a healthy Josh Hamilton? I don't know, but the ongoing drama of it all sure seems to have HAM-strung the teams chances from the uncertainty.

And sportsnbikes, for the record, I am a Dodger fan. But it would be cool to see an all-Los Angeles world series one day. Puig vs Trout? Yeah, now we're talkin! All I can say for the Angels is...you have a BIG investment in this man. Do what is necessary to make it successful for the team, and Josh Hamilton as a human being. Place that iron-clad support system around him. The rest will take care of itself.

Steve

cjclong
04-07-2015, 12:58 PM
A baseball arbitrator has ruled that Josh Hamilton will not be suspended and will miss no playing time due to his recent drug related infraction. The Angles front office issued a statement that appeared to be critical of Hamilton and surprised a number of the players. If Hamilton had been suspended the Angles would not have owed him salary for the games he would have missed due to a suspension.

Jags Fan Dan
04-14-2015, 03:25 PM
I love how these teams are signing 30 year olds to 10 year $250 million deals and then when it inevitably turns into a crappy contract they want out. What did you think was going to happen on these types of contracts?

cjclong
04-24-2015, 07:33 PM
There is a report that the Rangers are close to acquiring Hamilton in a trade with the Angles. According to reports, if true, the Angles will eat a substantial part of his salary.

xpress34
04-25-2015, 09:41 PM
There is a report that the Rangers are close to acquiring Hamilton in a trade with the Angles. According to reports, if true, the Angles will eat a substantial part of his salary.

I read that too. Looks like Angels will eat 'at least' 80% of the guaranteed money owed...

3arod13
04-27-2015, 11:23 AM
P.S. - I have ZERO doubt that their are 'fans' of Hamilton that have or will turn on him because this latest issue causes their collection to lose value.

Those aren't real fans of the player, those are bandwagon fans looking to make a buck off the flavor of the day/week/month/year.

Agree! Happens way to often! Been an Arod fan since day one! Yes, a true fan!!!

Unfortunate for the relapse, but I wish him the best!

cjclong
06-03-2015, 07:27 AM
At least for the short term Hamilton's return to the Rangers has been successful. He was out of the line up last night with a sore leg muscle, so we'll see how it goes with injuries and any other issues.