Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjmedina1
    • Oct 2005

HOF Voting

Any thoughts.Mcgwire did not get in. Its going to be a long road.
  • JasonM33
    • Oct 2006

Re: HOF Voting

So, McGwire is out but I've read a few articles that are making excuses for why they are going to vote Bonds in. This is nonsense. I'm boycotting the HOF. I won't darken the door of that place.

Comment

• JimCaravello
      • Jan 1970

Here is the official HOF Voting results..........up for debate, but Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and Raffy have no one to blame but themselves........Roger Maris still holds the single season HR record.......... I am quite pleased to see the lack of votes that McGwire received. Jim

2007 Hall of Fame Voting Total ballots cast: A record 545 (including two blanks). Necessary for election: 409 votes. Minimum votes needed to remain on the ballot: 28.
      Votes Pct. Cal Ripken Jr. 537 98.5
      Tony Gwynn 532 97.6
      Rich Gossage 388 71.2
      Jim Rice 346 63.5
      Andre Dawson 309 56.7
      Bert Blyleven 260 47.7
      Lee Smith 217 39.8
      Jack Morris 202 37.1
      Mark McGwire 128 23.5
      Tommy John 125 22.9
      Steve Garvey 115 21.1
      Dave Concepcion 74 13.6
      Alan Trammell 73 13.4
      Dave Parker 62 11.4
      Don Mattingly 54 9.9
      Dale Murphy 50 9.2
      Harold Baines 29 5.3
      Orel Hershiser 24 4.4
      Albert Belle 19 3.5
      Paul O'Neill 12 2.2
      Bret Saberhagen 7 1.3
      Jose Canseco 6 1.1
      Tony Fernandez 4 0.7
      Dante Bichette 3 0.6
      Eric Davis 3 0.6
      Bobby Bonilla 2 0.4
      Ken Caminiti 2 0.4
      Jay Buhner 1 0.2
      Scott Brosius 0 0
      Wally Joyner 0 0
      Devon White 0 0
      Bobby Witt 0 0

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cjmedina1
        Any thoughts.Mcgwire did not get in. Its going to be a long road.
        Here's my struggle with this. Players have used things to enhance their performance for many years before the steroid era, but haven't been proven or an issue until now. In addition, there are the names we know now that used steriods. I'm sure there are many more, like Brady Anderson, who hit 50 HR's in 1996, but never hit more than 21 before 1996 and hit no higher than 24 after 1996. Yes, he's no hall of famer, but I'm sure there are so many others we don't know about.

McGwire hit 49 HR's as a rookie in 1987. From 1987 to 1992, he it 49, 32, 33, 39, 22 and 42 HR's, and was a proven HR hitter. No question after that, 1993 to 1994 which he only played 74 games and only it 18 HR's due to injuries. Then 1995 to 2001, he it 39, 52, 34, 24, 70, 65, 32 and 39 HR's.

McGwire definately started using steroids following his injury years (not an excuse). Do I believe he could still have hit HR's if he didn't use steroids. Yes. Do I think he should be in the hall of fame? Still a struggle.
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
          • Apr 2006

Before my comments get slammed, I want to make it clear. I am not saying it's ok because so many others did it. I believe in earning your stripes from natural ability. As you know, I was a big Juan Gonzalez fan. It killed me when I found he used steroids. His numbers weren't real due to his natural ability.

My stuggle is this has gone on (not steroids only) for years in sports and there are many in the hall of fame who are know to do things to cheat.

Ok, I'm standing by for my beating!
          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Calrima
            • Aug 2005

Friends,

My first thought is what will this do to the Values of Mark, Joses, and Sammys game used items?

23% for McGwire is sure sending a message.

My best,
            Den

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Calrima
              Friends,

My first thought is what will this do to the Values of Mark, Joses, and Sammys game used items?

23% for McGwire is sure sending a message.

My best,
              Den
              Dan, yes...not only have McGwire and friends hurt themselves and baseball, they've hurt all their loyal fans and collectors in so many ways!
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• worldchamps
                • Dec 2005

I tried talking this up at work, and can't get a good conversation going. I can't understand Mattingly not getting more votes. It seems this would have been the year for him to get some votes...people that are number people giving him the benefit of not using steriods. He barely got any votes, less than 10%. There were a few years he was so awesome, I just can't believe he doesn't get more attention...even the East Coast biasis isn't getting him in.

Bill
                sigpic

Comment

• sylbry
                  • Nov 2005

Without turning this into another needless steriod debate here are my observations.

No real surprises on the upper end of the voting other than Blyleven losing support (percentage wise).

McGwires vote total was on par with what ESPN was predicting. No surprise there. Next year will be the true indicator though. Many writers did not vote for him because he was not a "first ballot hall of famer."

Anyone else find it hypocritical that the writer's gave McGwire the thumbs down while giving Merriman the thumbs up for the Pro Bowl?

I was shocked to see Canseco get no support. He is now a one and done. I thought he would have hung around for a couple of years. And with him Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle was sent packing, no doubt due to his charming personality.
                  Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• Canseco44
                    • Dec 2006

If Canseco's game used stuff is going down in price, I will be happy to take it off of anyones hands. If you have any you would like to get rid of, please contact me at spideyman79@yahoo.com
                    Todd Ricks
                    Todd Ricks
                    www.freewebs.com/canseco44
                    Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
                    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Comment

• JasonM33
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Canseco44
                      If Canseco's game used stuff is going down in price, I will be happy to take it off of anyones hands. If you have any you would like to get rid of, please contact me at spideyman79@yahoo.com
                      Todd Ricks
                      Me too. I'd be happy to take any of that worthless crap off your hands fellas. Just to help you out. That's the kind of guy I am. He he.

Comment

• RobSteinmetz
                        • Jan 1970

Bruce Sutter is the most recent closer to be elected to the HOF. It looks like Rich Gossage will be next. I thought it might be interesting to compare their numbers to those of Lee Smith.

Sutter: 661 games, 68-71 record, 300 saves, 861 K's in 1042 innings, 2.83 ERA

Gossage: 1002 games, 124-107 record, 310 saves, 1502 K's in 1809 innings, 3.01 ERA

Lee Smith: 1022 games, 71-91 record, 478 saves, 1251 K's in 1289 innings, 3.03 ERA
                        • Sutter won the only Cy Young Award among these three pitchers.
                        • Gossage pitched in 8 postseason series to Smith and Sutter's 2 each.
                        • Sutter appeared in 4 All-Star Games, while Gossage appeared in 9 and Smith in 8.
                        • Playing in just 20 more career games, Smith recorded 168 more saves than Gossage.
                        • Lee Smith held the record for most career saves for over a decade.
                        I'm a big fan of all three of these guys, but why is Gossage getting 71% of the vote and Lee Smith only 39%? Why did Bruce Sutter get elected before Lee Smith? Now that Smith's record has been broken by Trevor Hoffman, does he still have a shot at Cooperstown? Interesting stuff.
                        Rob Steinmetz
                        www.authenticgamers.com
                        authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• cjmedina1
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JasonM33
                          Me too. I'd be happy to take any of that worthless crap off your hands fellas. Just to help you out. That's the kind of guy I am. He he.
                          Send me your email if you want to sell any Mcgwire game used items.On a side note in the autograph section I post some pics of my Mcgwire items in my collection.Its just a small part.Please check it out

Carlie Medina III
                          carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                            • Oct 2005

I said it before, and I'll say it again: McGwire was a one-trick pony, and I am not sure if he belongs in the HOF anyways!!

You can say many things about Bonds (and we all have), but at least he could play the ENTIRE game up until the last couple of years.

Ken

Comment

• JasonM33
                              • Oct 2006

I dissagree with you on that point. I thought McGwire was an excellent first baseman for most of his career. He even won a gold glove if I'm remembering correctly. It's not like he was a DH.

I'm not dissapointed or surprised that McGwire didn't get elected to the HOF under the current system. I just have as problem with the current system. If you are really good for a long time you get showered with glory. But if you are dominant for a shorter period of time you get the shaft.

Comment

Working...