PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rodriguez Game-Used Valuing

MTC
03-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Where do you guys think the prices of his game-used gear will head this season and for the future? I'd imagine prices will be down from what they had been but Steiner does control the market so you never know. Anybody in it for the long haul and not worrying about dumping their items purchased in the past (and most likely at a premium)?

Curious to hear people's thoughts.

jake33
03-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Rodriguez is set to hit some noteworthy milestones this season. The interest around those milestones will be very telling. What hurts is that the issues he had recently are re-hatched in the media over the last few weeks. The negative things about Alex will very fresh in peoples minds, so the timing of the milestones and dislike for him will be interesting to watch.

Rodriguez will likely get these milestones this year:

3000 hits - he is 61 hits shy.... Contingent on his health, I would say he will get that milestone around June 18, 2015. This is arguably the biggest milestone he will reach this year, because it is viewed as an exclusive club by fans. If he is on the road and gets his 3000th hit, he likely will get booed. Who knows the reception he would get in Yankee Stadium. When Jeter got his 3000th hit, the marketing and buzz around that was pretty big, with A-Rod, I would not be surprised if the merchandising and marketing of the event is much more low key.

661 homeruns ---- Passing Willie Mays on the homerun list to be 4th all time. Mays is so well liked, it may actually just upset people that he passes Mays.

2,000 career Runs scored - he needs 81 runs---- This is not going to make huge headlines and will likely be a blurb on ESPN. Only 7 players all time have 2000 runs scored, so it is a very impressive stat. Here is an interesting point, Alex will likely pass Jeter on the runs scored list within 10 days of the season starting. Someone will mention that and that too could upset people that he passed Jeter.

2,000 RBI -- he needs 31 ----- On the way to 2000 RBI he will pass Lou Gerhig and Barry Bonds. I can see Alex getting both end of the spectrum on this milestone..... Juxtaposed against Gehrig then linked with Barry Bonds in a negative light. The last time someone reached 2,000 RBI was 1972 (Hank Aaron). That is quite a long time. Alex should reach this by early June at the latest (assuming he is healthy).

--------------

All 4 milestones are HUGE HUGE things to achieve, but I could see as each milestone is passed, anger from more and more people. Without a doubt, no one will look with blinders on and view those milestones with out some degree a negativity with associating the PED history.

I think this -- at this point Alex is NOT making tons of NEW fans. I know this from the game used industry..... Neww fans/collectors of game used often help grow the value. The fans/collectors of Alex will remain in a niche group and those people who like him regardless of what he does, will really be the main factor in the value.

danesei@yahoo.com
03-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Prices are anywhere from 6-10% of their peak value currently, so I would assume the market has bottomed. Prices will go up this season, definitely.

TwinLakesPark
03-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Buy low and sell high, that is the game. Unless he gets caught with dirty pee again, the only direction is up.

3arod13
03-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Over the past year, many who have invested in Arod have been holding onto their stuff, waiting to see what Arod does this year. I think If Arod plays well and gets hot atsome point, many will try to sell while the interest is high, especially consideringwho knows what will happen later in the season or even next year. It won’t be long before the market is floodedwith even more Arod stuff. I think the trulyrare items will do ok, but I don’t see a lot of his stuff selling for highdollars or even maintaining a high value.

For those who are loyal Arod fans and collectors, they will most likelycontinue to collect, but not sure if they are willing to pay high dollar forhis stuff, with so many unknowns on how long he will even still play.

Future investment potential just isn’t there, like in the past. Once Arod is gone from baseball, it will beeven more difficult to sell his stuff. He’s not a future Hall of Famer, still not liked by many, and theinterest just won’t be there.

sportsnbikes
03-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I have been an A-Rod fan for many years. I only own a GU batting glove of his.

I would like to own a bat but knowing his transgressions, I would not be willing to pay much for it. I have no interest in making money on it but don't want to get burned either.

3arod13
03-04-2015, 11:54 AM
I have been an A-Rod fan for many years. I only own a GU batting glove of his.

I would like to own a bat but knowing his transgressions, I would not be willing to pay much for it. I have no interest in making money on it but don't want to get burned either.

I think that is the exact mindset many will now have. Many paid high dollar for game used items, with the belief Arod would break records and be a future Hall of Famer. Many will still want to make money or at least get their money back. That's going to be tough. Those who paid high dollar for his graded BGS/PSA 94 SP card will take a huge loss. Again, no longer an investment.

3arod13
03-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Arod is 1 for 1 in Spring Training, so the interest in his stuff should start picking up. :D

marino13
03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Arod is 1 for 1 in Spring Training, so the interest in his stuff should start picking up. :D

I got a couple game used jerseys from '09 -- hopefully, I can hold on to them so they can recovered.

The same for a couple '07 game used bats --- and not to mention a couple dozen game used baseballs from his 500th and 600th HR chase -- all signed and documented as such.

If they dont recover - I will sell them to you Tony --- 25 cents on a dollar!

:D

PS. A couple Jeter's signed game used jerseys along with '09 bat are saving me from drowning with Arod's stuff. Not to mention a couple Matsui's bats helping with the cause also.

sportsnbikes
03-10-2015, 11:13 AM
I got a couple game used jerseys from '09 -- hopefully, I can hold on to them so they can recovered.

The same for a couple '07 game used bats --- and not to mention a couple dozen game used baseballs from his 500th and 600th HR chase -- all signed and documented as such.

If they dont recover - I will sell them to you Tony --- 25 cents on a dollar!

:D

PS. A couple Jeter's signed game used jerseys along with '09 bat are saving me from drowning with Arod's stuff. Not to mention a couple Matsui's bats helping with the cause also.

Put my name in the hat for one of the A-Rod bats. If I remember correctly, Tony has multiple!

BernBabyBern
03-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Any member (s) on here win the three separate 2009 A-rod bats that were auctioned on Goldin Auctions?

Please contact me.

Thanks,
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com

BernBabyBern
03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Any member (s) on here win any of these three separate 2009 A-rod bats that were auctioned off on past Goldin Auctions?

Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com

BernBabyBern
05-03-2015, 09:04 PM
marino13 can you please shoot me an e-mail? I have a question on some Arod items.
Thanks,
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com

jake33
06-15-2015, 02:13 PM
With Alex 5 hits shy of 3,000 on June 15, 2015.... looks like my prediction of him getting to 3,000 around 6/18/15 looks to be close to spot on.

BernBabyBern
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Sportsnbikes,
Please send me an e-mail when you get a chance.
Thanks,
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com

gingi79
08-10-2015, 10:14 PM
He is most likely going to end the season:
#20 all time in Hits
#4 all time in HR
#3 all time in RBI
#27 all time in OPS
Tied for #148 in BA
#39 all time in BB

Barry Bonds is:
#33 all time in Hits
#1 all time in HR
#4 all time in RBI
#4 all time in OPS
Tied (with ARod amongst others) for #148 in BA
#1 in BB

Considering their mutual tarnished PED reputations and the very few years left to Alex, I would value items from both Bonds and ARod identically at this point. (Just an opinion, based upon what I laid out above)

Bondsgloves
08-10-2015, 10:57 PM
I disagree, the market is so flooded with Alex Rodriguez game used items. A simple search on eBay would validate that. The game used values are largely based on supply and demand.