PDA

View Full Version : Mears LOA

NEFAN
03-15-2015, 03:39 PM
I've heard of Mears, but don't know anything about them. If they authenticate game worn is it assumed good?

Phil316
03-15-2015, 04:19 PM
DO NOT assume anything is good regardless of who authenticates it.

With that being said Mears is pretty good at authentication. Please see above statement though. I have seen even the best make mistakes.

Jags Fan Dan
03-15-2015, 04:48 PM
I once got a 1994 Brunell Packers jersey from Mears. With the LOA was a style match photo showing a 1993 Packers jersey with the Packers anniversary patch instead of the 1994 NFL anniversary patch. So no, assume nothing.

KGoldin
03-15-2015, 08:30 PM
I am unaware of any service that is more thorough for authenticating pre 1987 baseball jerseys then MEARS, especially where photo matching is impossible due to lack of photo selection or quality of photographs. It is not cheap however!

ivo610
03-15-2015, 11:17 PM
I've heard of Mears, but don't know anything about them. If they authenticate game worn is it assumed good?

Their grading system holds alot of weight in the hobby. An A10 will go far with most collectors, but of course its not without faults and mistakes. Troy the owner is pretty good about pulling mistakes though.

Even with something like an A8 you might have a perfect photo match but due to their grading system it wont be given their highest grade.

danesei@yahoo.com
03-16-2015, 02:05 AM

It depends. Is the Mears LOA from their auction or from their authentication service?

xsentrixsupra
03-16-2015, 08:51 AM
I think overall it's pretty good. If it's A5 that is them basically saying it looks good, but they can't really tell 1 way or another. You see a lot of their NBA game jerseys with that rating unless there is some other history behind it.

CampWest
03-16-2015, 09:56 AM
DO NOT assume anything is good regardless of who authenticates it.

With that being said Mears is pretty good at authentication. Please see above statement though. I have seen even the best make mistakes.

Mears is usually pretty good, but I once saw them authenticate a George Brett bat with the #9 on the knob. To their credit they removed it from the auction after I questioned them on the grading and authentication.

NEFAN
03-16-2015, 01:44 PM
It depends. Is the Mears LOA from their auction or from their authentication service?

Not sure, haven't seen it yet.

NEFAN
03-16-2015, 05:55 PM

It's a Mears Monthly Auction LOA. Is that better or worse?

danesei@yahoo.com
03-16-2015, 08:45 PM
It's a Mears Monthly Auction LOA. Is that better or worse?

Those aren't the MEARS LOAs that others have mentioned. That is merely the LOA that Troy provides for items purchased from his auction.