PDA

View Full Version : Authentication Errors

CampWest
04-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I think it is about time we make a thread dedicated to documenting authentication errors. I do not intend this to be an effort to discredit or offend any authenticators, but rather to serve as a resource to help buyers and as a reminder that doing your own independent research is better than relying on the opinion provided in an LOA. We all make mistakes, the best we can hope to do is learn from them and reduce similar mistakes in the future.

CampWest
04-12-2015, 12:54 PM
This 2014 Billy Butler model bat is authenticated as "used by Butler". There are certainly a couple of issues I have with that claim as the bat has the #14 on both the knob and the cupped end of the bat. Butler has never worn #14, which was Omar Infante's number on the 2014 Royals. Additionally the knob tape is not a Butler characteristic.

Tamurai
04-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Thanks Wes for pointing out the issue concerning this bat that was running in Crown Sports Current Live Auction. We have pulled the lot from the auction after reading your post. You make a good point that we are all human and sometimes no matter how good an authenticator is things can still slip through the cracks. We send a lot of game-used bats for authentication and rest assured we've found this to be a rare occurrence. Thanks again for your keen eye Wes!!!

seanbaseball
04-12-2015, 05:14 PM
My favorite......and it got me the bat at a nice price...:)
Bat is a Marucci not LS, Bat is 2007 not 2010, Bat has good Pujols characteristics-although letter says can not be determined.