PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication Question

CncertLuvr
04-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Newbie collector here! I mainly collect baseballs. Only MLB Authenticated ones. I noticed a person on here say in a post they checked authentication and depending on whether or not they liked what they saw in the MLB Authentication database they would work to obtain said item. My question is as follows: I am looking at a ball and noticed a misspelling in the description of the MLB authentication database. Is this simply an error of the authenticator who entered the information on MLB's side or is this perhaps indicative of a fake? Sorry if a dumb question. Like I said I am a newbie and this is a pricey hobby at times! Hope to hear from someone soon! Thanks!

SEAFAN76
04-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Could just be an order entry mistake.
My game used Seahawks pants, that came directly from them....... says "Seattre"
Not on everything I have, but one of the laundry ID tags was misspelled.

swainer
04-27-2015, 09:03 AM
If it is in the database, I highly doubt you're looking at a fake (obviously just based on a typo in the description). Mistakes happen. I've had a PSA/DNA description updated based on the auction description. I'm not sure how responsive MLB will be in correcting the error as I've never contacted them for this sort of thing.

Good luck and welcome to a great (albeit expensive) hobby!

Peace,

John

coxfan
04-27-2015, 04:26 PM
It's an entry error. I've studied and surveyed MLB-authenticated balls for several years, and I find about 1-2 per cent have obvious entry errors. But I've never heard of an item in the MLB database that was fraudulently entered.