PDA

View Full Version : Players that want their game-used items back?

cekirsch129
04-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,

I thought this may be an interesting topic. I've seen a lot of very significant game used pieces displayed here and many of them have been signed by the athlete that used them.

My question is; if you acquired a game used item of a player, then presented it to them at a signing, game, etc., have they ever wanted the item back? If so, what did do?

This question is in part tied into my recent thread about the Ankiel glove I picked up from 1999. It has the potential to be a somewhat significant item from his career if its the glove he broke into the majors with, used in the Futures Game, etc. I realize that some players aren't nostalgic about their items and really don't care to have them back, but I also feel like some would be.

I could imagine certain situations where players let go of game used memorabilia while they are playing if it doesn't mean much to them at the time. However, once they retire, get traded, etc., they may be presented with a jersey, glove, bat, etc. they haven't seen in years and would like to have it back.

Or, there is always a possibility that a game used item is lost or stolen from the player and never intended to be released on the open market to our collectors. If that item circulates back to the player, I'm sure they would like to have it back.

I personally wouldn't have any problem giving the glove back to Rick, if he wanted it. As cool as the glove is, I think it would be even cooler having the experience of giving something to my favorite player that means a lot to him. Sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I feel like this is something that some of you have probably experienced over the years.

cekirsch129
04-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Second paragraph should read, "what did you do?"

swainer
04-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Here's a thread with some responses. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8899&page=4&highlight=sell+equipment+player

I'm not sure what I'd do. Unless I could something similar (in your case, another game used glove and possibly something else) I'm not sure I would do it.

Peace!

John

cekirsch129
04-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Nice, thanks for the heads up. I knew I had seen a similar thread on here at some point, but I couldn't seem to dig it up. Lots of good stories in there

Here's a thread with some responses. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8899&page=4&highlight=sell+equipment+player

I'm not sure what I'd do. Unless I could something similar (in your case, another game used glove and possibly something else) I'm not sure I would do it.

Peace!

John