PDA

View Full Version : starting lineups

joshmiller0
05-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Thus article brought back some childhood memories http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-half-baked-ideas-podcast-special-presentation-starting-lineup-figurines/

Before my jersey collecting I remember searching everywhere with my dad in the search for starting lineups. We eventually went to shows to buy them and flea markets. I have like 100 sealed...paid a lot and now they're worth next to nothing, but what great memories I had collecting them

commando
05-16-2015, 11:36 PM
I remember when Tuff Stuff magazine had a monthly SLU article and price guide written by Jeff Clow. I never collected the figures, but thought they were neat little items. Since I collect oddball cards, I do keep an eye open for the older SLU cards at a good price, especially the unissued ones.

godwulf
05-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Frequently at card shows, I'll see dealers with large boxes of SLU's, practically trying to give them away. Personally, I've got all six of Matt Williams' in a little cluster on my "Matty Wall", and I've collected some that I've gotten signed - Jay Bell, Tony Clark, Tony Womack and a few others - and the double-figure package of Clemens and Schilling. I can see how if you liked and collected them as a kid, they would still hold a certain appeal - but to most folks I think they look a little silly and primitive compared with the brilliantly-detailed little art pieces that McFarlane produces.

joshmiller0
05-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Frequently at card shows, I'll see dealers with large boxes of SLU's, practically trying to give them away. Personally, I've got all six of Matt Williams' in a little cluster on my "Matty Wall", and I've collected some that I've gotten signed - Jay Bell, Tony Clark, Tony Womack and a few others - and the double-figure package of Clemens and Schilling. I can see how if you liked and collected them as a kid, they would still hold a certain appeal - but to most folks I think they look a little silly and primitive compared with the brilliantly-detailed little art pieces that McFarlane produces.

Yes, they really don't look too much like the players. I couldn't get enough of them as a kid. McFarlane is even a kid's toy at this point. Enter bay is where it's at...although way beyond what I would spend.. rather buy some jerseys..

http://enterbayusa.com/

Samets
05-18-2015, 06:42 AM
I was amazed when I first saw them at the local toy store...

I'm almost done with my set of the Chicago Bears players since they are plentiful now.