PDA

View Full Version : Al Dark Bat

JCC1968
01-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi

I recently picked up at auction a Al Dark bat. It has 127H on the bottom of it. Does anyone have his records?

MSpecht
01-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi--

The bat you have pictured is from the Adirondack 1961 - 1963 label period. The Model Number, 127H , is a typical model number associated with Adirondack professional model bats.

Without the Adirondack factory records, the specific dimensions Dark ordered on bats from that company are not known. Using his H & B factory records as a guideline, however, would suggest that his typical bat, regardless of manufacturer, during the 1961 - 1963 time period would be 34.5 inches in length and weigh approximately 31 to 32 ounces. Through 1960 Dark also frequently ordered 35 inch bats.

The typical letters on Adirondack pro model bats (1946-1994) were A, B, H, K, M, X, AX, DW, MS, RJ, VP, and XX .The letter designates a bat series used by Adirondack. The number indicates the number of different models in that series.

Controversy exists regarding Adirondack models is series C, D, and pre-1968 S series bats. Although it is thought that most of those bats were made for minor league players, colleges, and retail, there have been instances of them showing up in players' personal collections.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

ghostkid
01-15-2007, 02:22 PM
After checking my Baseball Encyclopedia, I found that Al Dark's playing career ended in 1960 and that he was a manager following that. Thus, I believe your bat would be called a coach's bat.

Kevin Kasper