PDA

View Full Version : What I Appreciate About the Hobby and GUF

soxbats
05-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Just wanted to share two positive stories about collecting that have reminded me why I started in the game used hobby over (gulp) 25 years ago. Please share similar stories you have.

When I started collecting GU it was all about individual relationships . . . . collectors who knew collectors with something you needed. Most game used had no huge value outside of HOFers, it was a niche market. As a collector you did not think about resale because, frankly, there was almost no way to be a reseller. No eBay and no MLB authentication or auctions, just a thick Sports Collectors Daily every few weeks, with a classified section at the end. Zane Burns ran a "firewood sale" every so often, and Ball Park Heroes ran a huge page size ad every issue. With that backdrop I started collecting Red Sox bats, trying to get a bat from each non-pitcher who had an AB for the Sox from 1960 to the present. That list now totals about 490 needed and, other than the recent guys, I need 4 (Carmen Fanzone, George Smith, Felix Mantilla and Ken Poulsen) to complete it. As you might expect, the vast majority are totally and utterly obscure.

So the stories....a decade ago or more I met via email Ryan Anderson. At that time he was one of those guys who "had sources" for H&B bats from the 60s, and for a vintage collector that was pure gold. He found me several obscure guys like Joe Azcue and others, and always kept my want list handy. We have never met, and I can't even remember talking on the phone. But we
exchanged a number of emails about collecting and built a hobby friendship. Ryan recently founded Crown Sports. Several months ago he emailed me out of the blue, I had not bought anything from him in years. He asked if I still needed a Ray Webster bat (3 at bats for the Red Sox in 1960), one of my real toughies, because he had a line on one. Pictures followed and it was a bat I had been looking for for literally 20 years. I told Ryan I definitely wanted it, he talked it over with the owner and, after the owner heard the story of my collection from Ryan, he simply gave it to me. The bat arrived a few days later.

Last week forum member Yanks12025 emailed me about a Chuck Goggin bat he had found. I had never corresponded with Yanks, never discussed my collection. Yet he remembered a post that I had made and offered the bat to me. The forum and a fellow collector helped me find another bat that I had been looking for since I began the project.

While eBay is great, it is the relationships that make this hobby special, and this forum plays an important part in building those relationships. Not to be too preachy, but you never know when a member, someone you meet at a show, someone who posts on GUF or someone you buy, sell or trade with will end up locating that "Grail" for your collection. Thanks to both Yanks and Ryan for helping me with my quest.

sorklora
05-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Great stories and that is great to hear! We definitely have to help pnw another in this hobby for various reasons and good to see collectors are still doing so.

tigerdale
05-19-2015, 06:01 AM
I couldn't agree more!!!

swainer
05-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Great topic! I've been meaning to post about my interaction a few weeks ago with fellow forum member Larry Pelliccioni. We have been corresponding via email off and on for a few years. I told him I was a huge Lance Parrish collector and if he ever ran into anything, to let me know. He stumbled across a few items. Instead of doing the typical Paypal and ship it out, we decided to meet face to face. He also offered to give me a tour of his "Classic Stuff" collection. I figured I would see a few cool pieces but I was blown away by his collection. Not only did I get to view the diverse collection but I got some great stories behind some of the great pieces. I probably spent an hour over there but I seriously could have spent days there. And as impressive as the collection was, Larry's knowledge and hospitality were even more impressive. Truly one of the great guys in the hobby. If you ever get a chance to deal with Larry, I promise you won't be disappointed by the item nor the experience. Larry is first class all the way. I'm thankful we completed our transaction the old school way. Just a couple of collectors, face to face, enjoying our hobby and making a deal. Thank you for the invitation Larry. It was an honor meeting you and look forward to our next encounter.

Peace!

John