PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Ring Bat

vintagesportscollector
01-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I picked up this very large 19th century ring bat at an estate auction today. There was only one other person interested and she didn’t push too far so I got it pretty cheap. It’s 37.5 inches long. It has some interesting markings including an “X3” on the barrel. I actually have another 19th cent. ‘Standard’ bat already but it’s not a ring bat. I have seen Standard bats several times. Anyone know the story behind the Standard label?

http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/mmm043.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/mmm040b.jpg

batterymates
01-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Awesome pickup Joe!!! Wow....at an estate auction. I swear, I need to move to the east coast. Congrats on a fantastic pick-up.

mjkm90
01-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Joe, Joe, Joe, that is an amazing bat:eek: It looks to be in pristine condition and the length is perfect. It's funny that in D. Bushing's book on vintage memorabilia and bat guide that ring bats must be 35" in length, but I rarely see them longer. That could be the centerpiece of any collection. Congratulations!!! :D

mjkm90
01-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Dear Joe,
This is Mike's daughter Mallory and I am interested in collecting old baseball stuff too.:) I really like the bat you got I like the markings on it!:cool: I also thought that you got a really good deal on it that is a really nice bat you got there!!!:D :D That is a really nice, good looking bat with nice craftsmanship and detail.:p Hope you enjoy it!;) I also really like putting in smiley faces!:o

mjkm90
01-14-2007, 10:17 AM
hey joe,
This is mike's other daughter Katie. I to am a fan of baseball memorabilia and baseball in general. This is an awsome bat you've got! Again I love the bat it's trully unique!
good luck!:)

vintagesportscollector
01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
LOL. :) :p :D Thank You Ryan and Mike...and of course Mallory and Katie!! Oh...Mallory and Katie, tell your dad I really like the new cup/bowl trophy he got...gorgeous!! (and if Mom doesn't know about it yet...don't tell her ;) ).

-Joe

mjkm90
01-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Of course Momma knows. I'm excited about it myself Joe, and will post some pics when it arrives.:D

MGHProductions
01-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Great Bat!!! Congrats on the pick up!! the size and condition are awesome!