PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to dry pine tar?

GoTigers
06-12-2015, 09:22 PM
I've had some bats with heavy tar that remains sticky for a very long time. Is there a way to "dry" the tar without messing up the bat? I don't like to leave my bats hanging up and not take them out and look at them for fear that they'll fall on the floor and pick up some funk in the tar.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-13-2015, 12:21 AM
I think that the pine tar dries out naturally over a couple years. I've had bats that I stored "sticky" that are pretty dry (though the battube reeks) after three years.

eric16841
06-16-2015, 10:58 AM
When using it in games we always used rosin bags smacked on the tar to take the stickiness down, because wet pine tar is actually pretty slippery on a bat handle. The rosin will make it dry out quicker. That's why players like posada always end up with the heavy tar because the layers under it have dried out. I don't know if I would suggest this on a collectible bat because your changing how it came off the field but to each is own. I know there are some youtube videos out there on how to do it for players.

MLB~NUT
06-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I think that the pine tar dries out naturally over a couple years. I've had bats that I stored "sticky" that are pretty dry (though the battube reeks) after three years.

Agreed the handful of gamers I have 50% were slathered in pine tar, and smelled like it when I firts got them! After a year of being on display in a bat case the smell went away!

Not sure about the Tackyness, as I dont man handle them....;)

yanks12025
06-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Can you blow dry it???

metsbats
06-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Heat usually increases the moisture and makes it more sticky from what I've seen. Not that I tried blow drying pine tar but when I take my game bats out into the heat the tar tends to get wetter and sticky again. Maybe if you set it on cool.

metsbats
06-16-2015, 11:14 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26993

Found this old thread.

boggs3010
06-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Best not to speed up the drying process. I have several with pine tar and the pine tar will dry up and the sticky feeling will go away. Takes years though.

metsbats
06-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Best not to speed up the drying process. I have several with pine tar and the pine tar will dry up and the sticky feeling will go away. Takes years though.

I like this approach the best.