PDA

View Full Version : To restore or not to restore?

aallanson
06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
That is the question.

I am lucky enough to have acquired two game worn Notre Dame jerseys from the 2010 Sun Bowl. Prior to making them available to the public, the university removed the patches worn in the game. Not sure why, but they did. Anyway, I have also acquired two of the original game patches from the university. The more specific question is, do I reattach the patches to the jersey so that the jerseys will be restored to how they were on game day? The nameplates are already attached (the university didn't remove those) making these jerseys pretty special as Notre dame doesn't usually have nameplates on the backs of the jerseys except in bowl games. If I should reattach them, who should I get to do it? I guess the goal would be to attach them exactly how they were for the game, right?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-18-2015, 08:24 AM
If they are game used patches from that game I personally would reapply them. Even if it was on a different jersey originally. I think it would display better and I think most would prefer them on there.

I have seen MLB team apply patches to game used jerseys after the fact so it can't be much different than that and people don't tend to mind it.

HawaiiSportsNut
06-18-2015, 11:53 AM
If the jersey originally had the patches on, I would reattach the patches.

michaellechner
06-18-2015, 11:58 AM

I agree

aallanson
06-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the so far unanimous response. I have a little information to add that may or may not change your mind. I was able to photomatch this jersey to a game earlier in the season. So this is a multi-game used jersey. I photomatched it to a game where there were no patches or nameplates used. For the bowl game, they added the nameplate and the Hyundai sun bowl patch. As the jersey currently sits, it has a nameplate on it, and I have an original game used patch (more than likely used on another jersey in the same game) that I can add to it. Still unanimous on me adding the patch? I am leaning towards yes. Any recommendations on where to get it done?

NEFAN
06-18-2015, 01:38 PM
I would add them too. If you know the exact placement, take them to a tailor shop pinned in place and tell them what color to use.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-18-2015, 03:25 PM
I would want it to look like the bowl jersey. One because that is why it is so great and secondly because leaving the patches off will make it match neither of the games. Since the regular season game didn't have a nameplate.

aallanson
06-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Thanks again, guys.

To be specific, this is the jersey I want to restore. I have this Calabrese and the other one is Bennett Jackson.http://https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carlo_Calabrese_Sun_Bowl.jpg

aallanson
06-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks again, guys.

To be specific, this is the jersey I want to restore. I have this Calabrese and the other one is Bennett Jackson.http://https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carlo_Calabrese_Sun_Bowl.jpg

Apparently I am unable to do links properly, lol. Just google image search Carlo Calabrese 2010 Sun Bowl and it's the first picture that comes up.

camarokids
06-18-2015, 04:52 PM
I prefer to leave things as I receive them from the team.

If you add the patch, then they have been altered and may turn off potential future buyers.

aallanson
06-18-2015, 04:55 PM
I prefer to leave things as I receive them from the team.

If you add the patch, then they have been altered and may turn off potential future buyers.

For the Calabrese, this is a concern, as of the two, it is the only one I would consider selling/swapping. Bennett Jackson is PC (personal collection).

esigs
06-19-2015, 04:24 PM

I have a very similar question, but with one difference: I don't have the game used patch. The Royals auctioned off the Monarchs jersey but removed the patch commemorating Ernie Banks time with the Monarchs. They removed the patch before selling the jerseys (I was told at the request of Banks' family). If I can find the same patch that was not used in the game, should I put it on so it will match pictures of the game? You can tell where the patch was applied (heat pressed only) because the area is not as smooth as the rest of the jersey.

snick33
06-19-2015, 08:32 PM
I would also leave them as I got them from the team. If there are matches to the game elsewhere that's enough. I have a Champ Sports Bowl ND helmet. It has a bunch on marks that match but is missing the decal on the back. I if I was able to get one I still wouldn't add it to the lid. Adding just just makes people ask questions. Even though you know its legit. It just throws flags. Its a shame they strip the patches and or decals though. They seem to do this a lot.

RJB44
06-20-2015, 06:20 PM
I would apply the patches.

aallanson
06-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Everyone is making such excellent points. Thanks for the differing opinions as it gives me much to think about. I think I am leaning towards leaving them as is but if/when I move the Calabrese I will sell the patch unattached with it. Since the bennett jackson is personal collection and I intend to display the jersey I think I might display the patch next to the jersey.