PDA

View Full Version : Forum problems

yanks12025
06-24-2015, 04:00 AM
Has anyone else experienced the forum being down for several hours almost every single day????

Samets
06-24-2015, 05:50 AM
I wish the e-mails with subscriptions to threads would work...

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Pretty typical for me almost every day. Usually in the morning hours, but last night it was in the night too.

Swoboda4
06-24-2015, 07:45 AM
yes after 3am

beachpetrol
06-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Not being able to edit your own posts is another problem. They should fix that too.

metsbats
06-25-2015, 09:34 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33311&highlight=Edit+posts

This thread from 2010 will give some insight.

gorilla777
06-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Was the forum off last night late to bid in GFC? :rolleyes: I think it might have ended early this morning, from what I can tell...

BirdsOnBat
06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Was the forum off last night late to bid in GFC? :rolleyes: I think it might have ended early this morning, from what I can tell...

Somewhere around 9-9:30am est.

lakeerie92
06-25-2015, 01:52 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33311&highlight=Edit+posts

This thread from 2010 will give some insight.

Outages almost daily for this entire week.

Like you mentioned that thread is from 2010. Edit features seem to work just fine in other non sports forums I am a part of and 5 years is a long time to keep things the same in the internet world. This forum is not getting the attention or progress it deserves.

gorilla777
06-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Somewhere around 9-9:30am est.

Wow, okay

beachpetrol
06-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Outages almost daily for this entire week.

Like you mentioned that thread is from 2010. Edit features seem to work just fine in other non sports forums I am a part of and 5 years is a long time to keep things the same in the internet world. This forum is not getting the attention or progress it deserves.

Exactly. Editing in the Classifieds would be a tremendous help because I see users selling multiple items, but posting one item per post in there, which is not fair to the other sellers.

ndevlin
06-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Exactly. Editing in the Classifieds would be a tremendous help because I see users selling multiple items, but posting one item per post in there, which is not fair to the other sellers.

My opinion of course, but I believe the reason why they don't have an edit is so that people will be responsible for their actions. Ppl can't go back on a 3 yr post and edit it to something else and it become a problem. Yep, I'm a part of net54 and it works great for typos. But for this particular forum, I think it's a bad idea.

As for editing for sale items- I hate it on the other forums. I search on here for a particular player so that I can see what that player sold for in 2010, etc. Helps you when you are trying to buy or sell something and you can look on here and see what it sold for. Example- I searched Gary Carter bats a month ago and was able to see the exact bat for sale 5 yrs ago, how much it sold for, and to who. I like that.

1929tudor
06-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I would like to see them up the limit of 500.00 to more. Maybe 2000.00 or so. Just think of how many great items guys have to sell and buyers would love to own but 500.00 anymore is nothing but a common player bat. Some less common HOFer bats can be sold for 500.00 but not the better ones. Right now guys like Aaron, Mays, Musial and the superstar HOFer bats can't even show up on here cause they are worth more than 500.00. Even guys like Thome and Griffery which aren't in the hall yet can't be had for under 500.00. The 500.00 just seems to be outdated anymore and needs to be increased. Net54 there seems to be no limit and I have listed items in the 2-3 thousand area to sell and it is really nice to not have to pay the seller fee the auction houses would take. I know it's been talked about before but just my 2 cents

beachpetrol
06-29-2015, 03:08 PM
My opinion of course, but I believe the reason why they don't have an edit is so that people will be responsible for their actions. Ppl can't go back on a 3 yr post and edit it to something else and it become a problem. Yep, I'm a part of net54 and it works great for typos. But for this particular forum, I think it's a bad idea.

Can you give an example of an edit on an older post becoming a problem? I find that argument for not allowing edits ridiculous and paranoid. Edited posts are date marked anyway, and taking screenshots of all of the threads would solve any problems regarding keeping everyones responsibility in check.

ndevlin
06-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Can you give an example of an edit on an older post becoming a problem? I find that argument for not allowing edits ridiculous and paranoid. Edited posts are date marked anyway, and taking screenshots of all of the threads would solve any problems regarding keeping everyones responsibility in check.

Oh, you think it's ridiculous and paranoid? Editing posts would be the least of my worries. Guess what? It's my opinion. Your tone, along with incidents we've had in the past, is a prefect example why mods don't want to edit posts. It holds zero accountability, at least on this particular forum.

Look, take it up with the mods, not me. I don't make the rules.

beachpetrol
06-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Oh, you think it's ridiculous and paranoid? Editing posts would be the least of my worries. Guess what? It's my opinion. Your tone, along with incidents we've had in the past, is a prefect example why mods don't want to edit posts. It holds zero accountability, at least on this particular forum.

Look, take it up with the mods, not me. I don't make the rules.

I asked you to give an example of an edit on an older post becoming a problem, to back up your "opinion". I cannot think of one scenario where an edited post from the past causes such horrific consequences, where a rule has to be set in place to not allow members to edit posts anymore. Can you? You want to give your opinion? Back it up then.

ndevlin
06-29-2015, 09:07 PM
I asked you to give an example of an edit on an older post becoming a problem, to back up your "opinion". I cannot think of one scenario where an edited post from the past causes such horrific consequences, where a rule has to be set in place to not allow members to edit posts anymore. Can you? You want to give your opinion? Back it up then.

Sure, I'll give you an example of my own opinion since I need to.

What if 2 people had some posts going on back and forth that happen to be around midnight let's say. It started to get heated and one said "you &&ckin a-hole. I don't care what your opinion is because it doesn't matter. Go &&ckin kiss my @@@." Then, at some point before the next morning before a mod was able to see it and do anything about it, the poster went in and edited his post and deleted all of the negative/cuss words portion out. That person would then get away free. That's one example I can think of.

I know, silly huh? Well that's happened before on other forums, except I believe it would be 10 times worse here.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like an edit thread, because I occasionally fix my punctuation from time to time. But I feel that this particular forum wouldn't be good for it. Most will probably disagree and that's fine, but there's a reason why they haven't done it yet in what, 10+ yrs?

lakeerie92
06-29-2015, 10:14 PM

What if 2 people had some posts going on back and forth that happen to be around midnight let's say. It started to get heated and one said "you &&ckin a-hole. I don't care what your opinion is because it doesn't matter. Go &&ckin kiss my @@@." Then, at some point before the next morning before a mod was able to see it and do anything about it, the poster went in and edited his post and deleted all of the negative/cuss words portion out. That person would then get away free. That's one example I can think of.

I know, silly huh? Well that's happened before on other forums, except I believe it would be 10 times worse here.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like an edit thread, because I occasionally fix my punctuation from time to time. But I feel that this particular forum wouldn't be good for it. Most will probably disagree and that's fine, but there's a reason why they haven't done it yet in what, 10+ yrs?

I think it is important to weigh the good and bad of it all. Nothing is ever without some opposition. If it is written in that Mods can see the original post even though it has been edited would fix your example and while I am sure there are other examples but I believe the good outweighs the bad. I don't really like to stir the pot and actually really appreciate this forum, but keeping it the same isn't going to grow the forum and I would love to see this hobby grow and this being the premier game used forum the forum has to grow with it.

ndevlin
06-29-2015, 10:19 PM
I think it is important to weigh the good and bad of it all. Nothing is ever without some opposition. If it is written in that Mods can see the original post even though it has been edited would fix your example and while I am sure there are other examples but I believe the good outweighs the bad. I don't really like to stir the pot and actually really appreciate this forum, but keeping it the same isn't going to grow the forum and I would love to see this hobby grow and this being the premier game used forum the forum has to grow with it.

Definitely respect your opinion, Russell. I would imagine they have their reasons for what they do I suppose.

BirdsOnBat
06-30-2015, 06:16 AM
I think fixing the password recovery utility would be a good first start.

TNTtoys
06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
If it is written in that Mods can see the original post even though it has been edited would fix your example

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way that I can see the original contents of a post if it had been edited.

Can this be changed? Likely -- but being in the software industry, it is my educated guess that it would take a code change to do so, which would not be a wise use of resources given that the forum is being offered for free.

beachpetrol
07-04-2015, 09:07 AM

Like I said before, take screenshots. If you are in a heated argument and name calling gets involved and someone is offended, take a screenshot of the conversation and forward it onto the moderators. 10 years is way too long to not allow members to edit there own posts.

ndevlin
07-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Like I said before, take screenshots. If you are in a heated argument and name calling gets involved and someone is offended, take a screenshot of the conversation and forward it onto the moderators. 10 years is way too long to not allow members to edit there own posts.

And like I said before, they would've done it by now if they had the capability, or if they wanted everyone to have the ability to edit their posts.

BirdsOnBat
07-15-2015, 07:51 AM

My guess is that since it ended around 9 in the morning local, they just left the auction on until they arrived back in the office the next day. That's probably what I would do anyway, rather than stay awake till no bids came in to shut it down.