PDA

View Full Version : The Unwritten Rules of this Forum

fredskinz
06-24-2015, 10:47 AM
A few days ago, I posted a photo of a jersey I picked up in the aptly named "June 2015 Pickups" thread. Then, I put the jersey up for sale on ebay. My integrity was subsequently called into question by a senior member of this site because, "...it was pretty evident what was being done here. We see it all the time." Then this morning, another senior member said, "I'd like the pick-up thread to be pick-ups we at least plan on keeping a while, not looking to flip."

I broke no written rules, yet I was singled out for breaking "unwritten rules" that certain members seem to create at will. I never once mentioned that the jersey was for sale, and never alluded to the eBay auction. So what rule did I break? And, no where does it state that pickup threads are ONLY for members who intend on keeping their items forever. But what would be an appropriate amount of time? Two weeks? Maybe six months?

Maybe someone can revise the official forum rules to include member's unwritten rules. That way upstanding collectors and sellers, like myself, don't have to endure scrutiny from other members for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

jscott0688
06-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't worry about those people. Are they jealous? I don't get it. Personally, I enjoyed seeing the back-story before it popped up on eBay.

Mattapan03
06-24-2015, 11:18 AM
I think jealousy might be the #1 reason.

Who wouldn't want to buy something rare on the cheap.....and hope to get a sizable profit from it.

BirdsOnBat
06-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Don't sweat it Fred. The same people always seem to be the most irate all the time regardless. Happens on every forum...

beachpetrol
06-24-2015, 11:42 AM
I think they should eliminate the $500 limit in the Classifieds. It would probably get rid of a lot of this flack that goes on. So don't worry, be happy.

mbrieve
06-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Let me be clear, that I don't care, but I would assume most people see this behavior as an extension of his rule:

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

While you aren't specifically promoting it for sale on eBay, I think some feel the spirit of the thread is to show-off items that were recently added to one's personal collection and not something that will be quickly flipped to make a buck. Again, no judgement, just relaying the interpretation as I have always understood this "unwritten" rule.

emann
06-24-2015, 01:49 PM
While you aren't specifically promoting it for sale on eBay, I think some feel the spirit of the thread is to show-off items that were recently added to one's personal collection and not something that will be quickly flipped to make a buck. Again, no judgement, just relaying the interpretation as I have always understood this "unwritten" rule.

+1—I also don't have an issue with your post, but I'd share a few thoughts . . .

As the one who started the "insta-flip" thread you referenced that one was a little different. That seller bought an item on MLB Auctions and within 15 minutes had it listed on ebay at a much higher price. I personally find that a little offputting . . . his prerogative, he bought it and he can triple the price and sell it immediately if he wants—but I can also comment on here about it. Do all the comments here need to be positive?

Also, there are members (note I said "members" not collectors) on this forum that could totally dominate the monthly pickup section if they listed the hundreds of items that they buy each month for resale . . . it could get out of hand really quick. My guess is most people on here would be upset with that scenario, so I think this is where any mild criticism of your post comes from.

Nate's point was that people try to slide past the $500 limit by posting items that are of higher value followed by "I'm not keeping this, feel free to email me." type of post. I'll defend you there, I don't feel your post had this intention (you didn't say you were selling it, mention your ebay listing, etc).

Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just opinions . . .

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-24-2015, 03:34 PM
So a guy finds a jersey and tells a little story...that somehow turns into him advertising his sale on EBay? Not one bit of his post made me go check EBay for it or even think he was trying to sell it.

Not sure why there was a need to trash the pick ups thread. All that happened was make a non issue an issue. Funny how you guys are so concerned over trashing up the pick ups thread with unneeded pick ups, but then proceed to trash it with unneeded posts

earlywynnfan
06-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Who trashed the pickup thread??

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Who trashed the pickup thread??

All the replies to the guy simply showing his pick up. Claiming he did something wrong. I would consider all that unneeded.

ndevlin
06-24-2015, 06:37 PM
My apologies, folks. I simply said, "nice jersey" and asked why people post in pick up threads and then put them on eBay the next day. No one was "trashing" the thread, and no one was claiming anything. My question was pretty sincere/simple and it was turned into something negative with the following post. That's why I asked for a personal pm if you had anything additional to say, which you did. But before I even saw it, a new thread was made on the subject, which is kind of surprising, considering it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

But you guys are right--

I am jealous of the JD Drew jersey
And I do trash the pick up threads with "un-needed pickups"- (yeah, I don't know what that means either)

Now we can get back to collecting...

fredskinz
06-24-2015, 08:44 PM
If you had simply left it at "nice jersey", fine. My main issue was with the follow-up post which said quote, "it was pretty evident what was being done here. We see it all the time." That is not only accusatory in its nature, but it also comes across as extremely arrogant, as if "we" relates to some higher form of collector that would never post of a picture of a new item, then sell it.

Now I can get back to collecting with the common folk...

My apologies, folks. I simply said, "nice jersey" and asked why people post in pick up threads and then put them on eBay the next day. No one was "trashing" the thread, and no one was claiming anything. My question was pretty sincere/simple and it was turned into something negative with the following post. That's why I asked for a personal pm if you had anything additional to say, which you did. But before I even saw it, a new thread was made on the subject, which is kind of surprising, considering it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

But you guys are right--

I am jealous of the JD Drew jersey
And I do trash the pick up threads with "un-needed pickups"- (yeah, I don't know what that means either)

Now we can get back to collecting...

ndevlin
06-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Got it. Sorry I hurt your feelings. Good luck in your sale.

metsbats
06-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Let me be clear, that I don't care, but I would assume most people see this behavior as an extension of his rule:

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

This is correct. The moderators have had discussions about these "show and sell" posts. So yes posting an item in the pickups thread and putting it on ebay within a few days is the same as promoting the sale as far as our guidelines go.

slab0meat
06-25-2015, 09:09 AM

Agreed.

mbrieve
06-25-2015, 02:42 PM
This is correct. The moderators have had discussions about these "show and sell" posts. So yes posting an item in the pickups thread and putting it on ebay within a few days is the same as promoting the sale as far as our guidelines go.

And, there you have it.

fredskinz
06-25-2015, 02:51 PM
While I disagree wholeheartedy, if that is the rule then I will 100% abide by them in the future. But the problem is that its not a written rule, simply an interpretation of the existing rule discussed by moderators. I think you all need to revamp all of the forum rules to include every interpretation, opinion and unwritten rule because this one is extremely vague in its current form.

As a non-moderator, here is what I think the rule should include:
* Which forums are prohibited from including photos of items that will one day be sold.
* How many days a member must wait to sell an item, after posting any photo of it anywhere on the site.
* Which moderators will set this time limit and then enforce it.
* What sited are prohibited from being mentioned or posted on in order to comply with this rule (eBay, auction houses, Amazon, Craigslist, Instagram, Facebook, etc).

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-25-2015, 03:58 PM
I am just curious how he was promoting the sale of an item with his original post in the pick ups thread? Do people typically go check EBay every time they see something in that thread?

I feel the only way you would know it was up for sale on EBay is if you came across it in your normal searching. It isn't like his post made everyone run to EBay and check it out.

godwulf
06-25-2015, 04:42 PM
I am just curious how he was promoting the sale of an item with his original post in the pick ups thread? Do people typically go check EBay every time they see something in that thread?

I feel the only way you would know it was up for sale on EBay is if you came across it in your normal searching. It isn't like his post made everyone run to EBay and check it out.

Yeah, the same question occurred to me. If another poster hadn't popped up dispensing that information, how would anyone have known?

danesei@yahoo.com
06-25-2015, 06:11 PM
If you had simply left it at "nice jersey", fine. My main issue was with the follow-up post which said quote, "it was pretty evident what was being done here. We see it all the time." That is not only accusatory in its nature, but it also comes across as extremely arrogant, as if "we" relates to some higher form of collector that would never post of a picture of a new item, then sell it.

I'm pretty certain that in the context of what was written, "we" would refer to various members of the forum. It didn't come off as arrogant when I read it, but that's just me.

RMoody
06-25-2015, 11:30 PM

Granted, I may not have the required post numbers to speak but this really takes me back.

Far be it from me to have ever posted in the "Pick Ups" section to start with, who is enforcing all this?

Is someone actively scanning Ebay and other auction sites to get this information. If that's the case, does someone contact the member first to inquire, so few of us watermark pics so it would be nice to know if scamming with our photos occurs.

What and when is the timeline between sharing something and "showing it for sale". Hopefully I speak for all of us when I say that in dire straights, most everyone's collection hits the auction block. This is a hobby hopefully filled with solely spending surplus funds to start with. Very few ever turn profit and I hope we all eat and sleep well long before another mans used items are purchased.

I also can't help but to look at this all in retrospect. Months ago, a guy was posting Browns jerseys with 90% of them on EBay. He had sent me pictures of a clearly fraudulent jerseys (Gary Baxter Game Used from a year he never played in a number he never wore). I watched another member publicly argue over a refund with almost an identical situation and yet that thread remained open. Even after members requested it be closed.

I realize the logical response is "if your doing it for the wrong reasons, then it wrong" but seems to me a large gray area and most importantly personal interpretation is being used here.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-26-2015, 12:43 AM
What and when is the timeline between sharing something and "showing it for sale". Hopefully I speak for all of us when I say that in dire straights, most everyone's collection hits the auction block. This is a hobby hopefully filled with solely spending surplus funds to start with. Very few ever turn profit and I hope we all eat and sleep well long before another mans used items are purchased.

I would think that it's summed up in this paragraph. After all, I'd hope that if a collector is in dire straights and must sell their collection... that they wouldn't be still buying items. That would likely ensure that they'd fail at their goal of gathering money for their emergency situation.

I would think that it goes back to intent. If you bought the item intending to flip it (such as the Ryans used to), then you shouldn't post it in the monthly acquisition threads. I might be wrong, but that's what I think the "intent of the law" v "letter of the law" argument would be.

As for the person who started this thread, often times, decisions that affect our lives are based upon interpretations of laws by parties who didn't draft the laws. Most of the time, these decisions aren't added as amendments to the laws in place. I think this would, for the purposes of this forum, qualify as one of those times.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-26-2015, 08:26 PM
I would like to add I find it hysterical that mods have supposably talked about this issue before. How is this a concern, but selling on here and EBay is just ignored? All you have to do is list on here and after a couple days post that you are moving it to EBay. I guess moderators don't have the ability to delete threads?

Why have rules that either can't be enforced or are just ignored?

metsbats
06-26-2015, 09:01 PM
I would like to add I find it hysterical that mods have supposably talked about this issue before. How is this a concern, but selling on here and EBay is just ignored? All you have to do is list on here and after a couple days post that you are moving it to EBay. I guess moderators don't have the ability to delete threads?

Why have rules that either can't be enforced or are just ignored?

I'm sorry you don't believe we talked about and think that I'm just giving you some sort of lip service.

We are alerted to items that are on the C2C by other members and when we do see items in the C2C and are on ebay we do delete them. (I personally deleted 2 items within the last two weeks) Unfortunately we may miss some once in a while. But the guideline still stands if an item is shown in the pick up section and appears on ebay soon after it's a violation. If you are in dire straights how did you get the $$ to pick it up in the first place one has to ask. We established this guideline as we saw many dealer types posting items in the picks thread and then seeing them for sale on ebay. Same rule applies to collectors too.

I think enough has been discussed on this topic and this guideline as been clarified and we will close this thread.