PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on correcting an MLB Authentication error

cpdinc
06-30-2015, 10:53 AM
I ordered a ball from the Marlins the other day which was supposed to be a Randal Grichuk single. It arrived in the mail today, but when I looked up the hologram (HZ 468123) on the MLB authentication webpage (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/authentication) I found something very interesting. It gives this description:

Session Name: STL AT MIA
Session Date: June 23, 2015
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BATTER - RANDAL GRICHUK, PITCHER - JOSE URENA, TOP OF 3, SINGLE

However, when I checked the box score for that game (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2015_06_23_slnmlb_miamlb_1&partnerId=LR_box#game=2015_06_23_slnmlb_miamlb_1,g ame_tab=box,game_state=Wrapup) it does not show that Grichuk had a hit that game.

When I looked at the play-by-play, it shows that Grichuk grounded into a force out (Kolten Wong was out at 2nd on the play), so despite the fact that Grichuk ended up on 1st, he was not credited with a hit.

Thus, since Grichuk did not get a hit on the play, the authentication on the ball is incorrect and this was not in fact a Grichuk "hit" ball, it is just a simple forceout/ground out which is mislabeled.

Notwithstanding my thought that I overpaid for a ball which was sold as a "hit" (which was not a hit), I am wondering if anyone knows of someone to contact who might be able to correct this mistake. Any other information anyone can provide would be appreciated.

As an aside, in case anyone is wondering, I did email Joe with the Marlins and I am awaiting a response.

michaellechner
06-30-2015, 11:08 AM
It's interesting that you say this came from the Marlins. I have an inventory list from them and they have several baseballs that have authentication issues. That is something they need to address with their authenticators.

As far as getting it corrected, send an email to this address authentication@website.mlb.com

I know it's generic but you should get a response within a couple of days. I have talked to several people within the authentication program but do not have permission to give out their info. However I first got in touch with them via the generic email address.

Good luck!

PS. Always(even if it's MLB authenticated) do your homework before buying.

nevrdiez34
06-30-2015, 11:23 AM
It's interesting that you say this came from the Marlins. I have an inventory list from them and they have several baseballs that have authentication issues. That is something they need to address with their authenticators.

As far as getting it corrected, send an email to this address authentication@website.mlb.com

I know it's generic but you should get a response within a couple of days. I have talked to several people within the authentication program but do not have permission to give out their info. However I first got in touch with them via the generic email address.

Good luck!

PS. Always(even if it's MLB authenticated) do your homework before buying.

I agree, I had an issue with an MLB authentication description and received a response and correction in less than a twelve hours using the generic email. Just make sure you describe the situation in detail and provide photos/screen captures when possible.

coxfan
07-03-2015, 07:46 AM
I understand the desire to correct these errors. But in my opinion the less troubling authentication errors are those where the authenticator may be less familiar than the experienced fan with official scorer's terminology. I have seen errors by authenticators with the Rangers and Braves of this type: EG calling reaching on a fielder's choice a single; calling a pitch to the screen a wild pitch when nobody advanced; or a foul to the dugout a foul tip when it didn't come near the catcher.

Those kinds of errors, at least, can be resolved by checking the play-by-play, so you know what occurred. More troubling are the occasional errors that don't match the play-by-play, such as the wrong inning,etc. My surveys of certain games suggest to me that those more problematic errors occur about 1-2 percent of the time. Another kind of problematic error are those that are poorly described: eg no reference to innings used for bases, etc. Sometimes one can guess the correct innings by going through the full sequence of authentication numbers for that game; but sometimes that doesn't work. And incomplete ascriptions are not probably not correctible by MLB authentication.

3arod13
07-03-2015, 07:52 AM
I understand the desire to correct these errors. But in my opinion the less troubling authentication errors are those where the authenticator may be less familiar than the experienced fan with official scorer's terminology. I have seen errors by authenticators with the Rangers and Braves of this type: EG calling reaching on a fielder's choice a single; calling a pitch to the screen a wild pitch when nobody advanced; or a foul to the dugout a foul tip when it didn't come near the catcher.

Those kinds of errors, at least, can be resolved by checking the play-by-play, so you know what occurred. More troubling are the occasional errors that don't match the play-by-play, such as the wrong inning,etc. My surveys of certain games suggest to me that those more problematic errors occur about 1-2 percent of the time. Another kind of problematic error are those that are poorly described: eg no reference to innings used for bases, etc. Sometimes one can guess the correct innings by going through the full sequence of authentication numbers for that game; but sometimes that doesn't work. And incomplete ascriptions are not probably not correctible by MLB authentication.

MLB said they created this program to ensure the fans and collectors are getting guaranteed memorabilia and satisfaction. With the number of emails and requests they get to correct their errors, I would think they would tighten up a little. However, they do make corrections, so that is a good thing.